Next?

Old March 30th 04, 03:07 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 3/29/04 7:18 PM, in article
, "Cecil E. Chapman"
wrote:

If the Mrs. will go for it, why not create a mini-vacation and aviation
training all in one trip? How about taking some REAL mountain flying
courses in Colorado? After I finish everything I'm working on (my plate is
pretty full, so that may be awhile), I plan on doing just that - a plus is
that my wife is dying to visit Colorado again (I've never been there,,,,
only seen pictures).

That actually sounds like a good idea. The wife has been on an extended
business project in California and has racked up a zillion frequent flier
miles. A little trip to Colorado and bit of mountain flying for me while she
shops might not be a bad idea...
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic

Old March 30th 04, 05:02 PM
Michael

Wizard of Draws wrote
I'm not sure how practical that would be. I rent, not own, and the plane
that I fly seems to keep a pretty full flight schedule of IFR students.

You might look for a faster/higher performance airplane to rent.
Those are usually not too busy. Something like a C-182 might fit the
bill.

How many people fly Angel Flights in a rental?

Not many, I admit - but it is doable. The key is finding a capable
and reliable rental - which, I admit, is rare and not cheap.

Some other ideas:

Get a glider rating. If possible, do it at a place that allows XC
flying in a rental (all of them will allow solo rental). There's not
much to getting a glider rating, but going on a cross-country flight
in one is another story. If you can find a place that trains off the
winch, so much the better. Where else can a civil pilot have the
experience of climbing 45 degrees nose up, 200 ft off the deck,
pulling back on the stick, and accelerating?

The tailwheel endorsement is a good idea, but make sure you do it at a
place that will rent you the airplane solo. It will take longer to
find and be more hassle, but the difference in what you learn is
dramatic.

The commercial is a waste and not much use, but how about some
aerobatic training? Again - make sure it's a place that will rent to
you for solo aerobatics.

Michael
Old March 31st 04, 05:43 PM
Jeremy Lew

What are these gray area flight's you're referring to?

Thanks,
Jeremy

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
om...
Why not get the commercial? Many people who get their commercial have
no interest in flying for hire. The training is a lot fun, you will be
able to comfortably do certain flights that fall under the gray area
as a private pilot.

Wizard of Draws wrote in message

news:BC8CE126.7DF1%jeffbREMOVE@REMOVEwizardofdraw s.com...
Like Cecil, I'm finishing up my IFR rating soon. That has me wondering
what's next. I don't have any desire or time to become a CFI, and I have

no
intention of becoming a commercial pilot in any sense of the word. I've
thought that I might like to take a few lessons in a taildragger, but

I'd
need to find a CFI and plane first. Very likely at a different and

farther
airport than my usual.

So what's the usual choice for continuing to learn on a purely
learn-for-the-sake-of-learning after the IFR ticket?

Old March 31st 04, 10:04 PM
Brad Z

Good point Jeremy. It may help with local sightseeing flights and aerial
photography, but most of the "gray areas" cannot be rectified with a
Commercial Certificate. They usually require the establishment of a Part
135 operation.

Old April 1st 04, 12:51 AM
Andrew Sarangan

You can do a few things (not many) with the commercial which you cannot do
with a private without raising a few eyebrows.
1. Ferry flights
2. aerial photography
3. sightseeing flights
4. student instruction

"Jeremy Lew" wrote in
:

Old April 1st 04, 04:07 PM
Peter R.

Andrew Sarangan ) wrote:

2. aerial photography

With regards to US regulations, I thought a private pilot could engage in
this type of activity.

--
Peter R.

Old April 1st 04, 05:13 PM
Ray Andraka

Not for hire, only for personal photos.

"Peter R." wrote:

Andrew Sarangan ) wrote:

2. aerial photography

With regards to US regulations, I thought a private pilot could engage in
this type of activity.

--
Peter R.

--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950
email
http://www.andraka.com

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old April 1st 04, 09:26 PM
Ron Natalie

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message . 158...
You can do a few things (not many) with the commercial which you cannot do
with a private without raising a few eyebrows.
1. Ferry flights
2. aerial photography
3. sightseeing flights
4. student instruction

You can't instruct students with a commercial certificate. That's why we have
flight instructor certificates.

And you had better watch out for the restrictions on commercial operators
with regard to sightseeing flights.

Old April 2nd 04, 03:11 AM
Andrew Sarangan

"Ron Natalie" wrote in
:

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
. 158...
You can do a few things (not many) with the commercial which you
cannot do with a private without raising a few eyebrows.
1. Ferry flights
2. aerial photography
3. sightseeing flights
4. student instruction

You can't instruct students with a commercial certificate. That's
why we have flight instructor certificates.

A flight instructor certificate is required whenever the FAR calls for
'authorized instructor'. Examples are endorsing a student for solo flight,
giving checkride endorsement, flight reviews etc.. My understanding is that
any commercial pilot can give flight instruction and charge for his
services as long as he does sign students off.

And you had better watch out for the restrictions on commercial
operators with regard to sightseeing flights.

FAR 119.1(e)(2) lists the limitations of such sight seeing flights. There
are weight and seat limitations, and a 25NM distance limitation.

Old April 2nd 04, 05:03 AM
Peter R.

Ray Andraka wrote:

Not for hire, only for personal photos.

But, you could take aerial pictures as a private pilot, then sell them,
no?

--
Peter