tube and fabric and outdoor storage

Old May 29th 08, 07:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Robert Loer

Default tube and fabric and outdoor storage

Can not possibly afford a hanger and can not find a shelter so my plane will
have to sit out. Is a fabric covered plane an absolute no-no? What can be
done?

Old May 29th 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Wed, 28 May 2008 23:51:08 -0700, "Robert Loer"
wrote:

Can not possibly afford a hanger and can not find a shelter so my plane will
have to sit out. Is a fabric covered plane an absolute no-no? What can be
done?

a cheaper hangar.
Old May 29th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Robert Loer" wrote in message
Can not possibly afford a hanger and can not find a shelter so my plane
will have to sit out. Is a fabric covered plane an absolute no-no? What
can be done?

Historically, this was quite common, and fabric covered airplanes sat
outside in all climates for more than half of the time that aviation has
existed. However; periodic inspections of the structure, in the course of
recovering the aircraft, are much more critical to safety when the aircraft
is stored outside. Also, the drain holes become much more important and you
almost certainly won't get the benefit of the newer and longer lasting
fabrics and finishes.

Your best sources of information for good and safe schedules and procedures
will be, in no particular order:
1) An old, or second generation, mechanic.
2) Type clubs for aircraft with similar construction.
3) EAA
4) Owners at smaller airports where hangars are less common.

I hope this helps.
Peter

Old May 29th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Foley

"Robert Loer" wrote in message
Can not possibly afford a hanger and can not find a shelter so my plane

will
have to sit out. Is a fabric covered plane an absolute no-no? What can be
done?

Any chance your airport will let you put up a fabric hangar? (tent)

http://www.fabricshelters-usa.com/Fa...-189-0-659.htm

Old May 30th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jerry Springer

Robert Loer wrote:
Can not possibly afford a hanger and can not find a shelter so my plane will
have to sit out. Is a fabric covered plane an absolute no-no? What can be
done?

There are thousand of fabric covered airplanes that are outside. Keep
the finish in good condition keep them clean and a good protective wax.
If it tends to leak have a good cover made. Use something like
"Dri-Z-Air inside to help absorb moisture. The canister well collect
water pretty rapidly so well have to regularly be changed but it is an
options for moisture control.
Old May 30th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Frank Stutzman[_2_]

Jerry Springer wrote:

There are thousand of fabric covered airplanes that are outside. Keep
the finish in good condition keep them clean and a good protective wax.
If it tends to leak have a good cover made. Use something like
"Dri-Z-Air inside to help absorb moisture. The canister well collect
water pretty rapidly so well have to regularly be changed but it is an
options for moisture control.

I'd be careful with these "Dri-Z-Air" things around a plane.

I had one in my shop, sitting on top of my table saw. It was have full
when I bumped it, spilling maybe a quarter cup. I was in a rush so I
didn't clean it up right away. The NEXT day I had a really nasty patch
of corrosion on the saw where the spill was.

Now obviously a cast iron table saw has different metallurgy than a tube
& fabric plane. But my point is that the liquid these things generate
is not just simple water. Whatever it is, its pretty reactive and not
something I would want around metal that my life depends on.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old May 30th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jerry Springer

Frank Stutzman wrote:

Jerry Springer wrote:

[...]

Point taken, I use to have one in my Pacer but was careful not so spill it.

Jerry
Old May 30th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Any chance your airport will let you put up a fabric hangar? (tent)

http://www.fabricshelters-usa.com/Fa...tHangar-189-0-...

I think these are great, but when I went to figure out the cost of
building my own
hanger, it was very close to the cost of these. I do however think
these would be
great if you plan to move and want to take the hanger with you.
Lou
Old May 30th 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Foley

"Lou" wrote in message

Any chance your airport will let you put up a fabric hangar? (tent)

http://www.fabricshelters-usa.com/Fa...tHangar-189-0-...

I think these are great, but when I went to figure out the cost of
building my own
hanger, it was very close to the cost of these. I do however think
these would be
great if you plan to move and want to take the hanger with you.
Lou

The one my plane would fit in cost around $5K. Around here, you could spend
that in a year renting a hangar. I'm pretty sure hangars are selling for
close to $100,000.

Old May 30th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

On May 30, 1:33 pm, "Steve Foley" wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message

Any chance your airport will let you put up a fabric hangar? (tent)

http://www.fabricshelters-usa.com/Fa...tHangar-189-0-...

I think these are great, but when I went to figure out the cost of
building my own
hanger, it was very close to the cost of these. I do however think
these would be
great if you plan to move and want to take the hanger with you.
Lou

The one my plane would fit in cost around $5K. Around here, you could spend
that in a year renting a hangar. I'm pretty sure hangars are selling for
close to $100,000.

Oh I'm sure they do. I found a small grass strip by me that will let
me
build a solid hanger but charge me $50 a month to rent the ground.
Lou