Would you install lights?

Old August 18th 08, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Default Would you install lights?

RST Engineering wrote:
If I heard that once, I heard it a hundred times. What I wouldn't give to
hear it again. :-(

Fellow grows up in New England and has a real taste for a fish delicacy
called "scrod" (a type of codfish only found in NE waters).

He gets sent to the midwestern headquarters and after a year or so gets
called back to the New York office for a meeting. Drooling at the thought,
he hops into a JFK cab and asks the cabbie if he knew where he could get
scrod.

The cabbie turns around and says, "Buddy, I've hoid dat question ten
t'ousand times, but dat's the FOIST time I've ever hoid it in de plupoifict
subjunctive."

Jim

Um, Jim? Even for you that's a new low. May all your fleas have
camels. Get thee hence and do penance at the Moonlight Bunny Ranch.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old August 18th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Aug 16, 7:44 pm, Lou wrote:
I'm getting close to covering my wings. I don't currently fly at night
and could even say that I have no intention on flying at night.
However I had no intention on getting married either. Would anyone
install lights anyway or just limit yourself to flying in the
daylight.

I would not install lights... But I WOULD install ultra-bright LED's.

-R.S.Hoover

Old August 18th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Given the odds of being caught aloft after local sundown, there is a
clear-cut need for navigation lights. But the cost and current-drain
of traditional nav lights makes them a luxury for anyone building on
the cheap. Which is why I developed the circuit boards and etching
procedures that allows the use of inexpensive high-output LED's.

I don't recall when the procedure was posted but it works quite well.

The follow-on procedure, which has not been posted, shows how to
assemble the strobe light offered by Great Plains Aircraft.

The point here is that when fabricating a new airframe, the effort &
material needed to include nav-light wiring is such a pittance
compared to the whole that it's difficult to NOT justify its
inclusion.

-R.S.Hoover
Old August 19th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"jan olieslagers" wrote

But once you go for LED's, bright is the way to go, and ultra-bright is
better and the day they have hyper-bright we'll want those.
Come to think of it, LED's are just like pilots and tower controllers
and instructors and whoever else: the brighter the better!

There was a link floating around for a new combination position light and
anti collision flasher using only LEDs.

It was just approved as a STC for use on planes in the C-141 size, and had
400 candela. That's some bright sum-a-beach LEDs, ya think?

Here's a link:
http://www.emteq.com/led400cd/index.html

Of course, these are probably a "bit" more expensive than would probably be
used on a homebuilt, but it does show what is possible for LEDs, today.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 19th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

I guess I'm putting in the lights.
Lou
Old August 19th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Aug 18, 4:24 pm, "Morgans" wrote:

Of course, these are probably a "bit" more expensive than would probably be
used on a homebuilt, but it does show what is possible for LEDs, today.
--
Jim in NC

The red and green masks are in the Chugger archives but I can't find
the white nor the strobe.

At that time, green LED's were the most expensive, requiring about $20
worth of green LED's per unit. Given Moore's Law and the fact I
posted the masks in 2006, the price has probably dropped
dramatically. The least-cost option, then as well as now, is to
flash a signal lamp through a green lens.

-R.S.Hoover
Old August 19th 08, 10:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Barnyard BOb

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 19:44:28 -0700 (PDT), Lou
wrote:

I'm getting close to covering my wings. I don't currently fly at night
and could even say that I have no intention on flying at night.
However I had no intention on getting married either. Would anyone
install lights anyway or just limit yourself to flying in the
daylight.
Lou

Although I never intended to get married or have kids or assume the
risk of single engine night flight ever again..... it makes a heap of
sense to install lights while it's a piece of cake to do so. If you
are at all like me, [perish the thought], there will be times that
getting home late in the evening may require them just to be legal....
not to mention the value they add should you ever care to sell your
pride and joy.

- Barnyard BOb -
54 years of licensed flight

The more people I meet,
the more I like my dog
and George Carlin humor.

Old August 19th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Default Ok, while we are on the subject.

Ok, while we are on the subject. Would you also install landing
lights?
If so, what is recommended? Remember this is experimental so I'm
thinking
of rectangular headlight types for expense and ease of installation.
Lou

Anyone install the EI FP5L? Doug Vetter Owning 3 March 1st 08 07:08 PM
Can't install FSX Blue Simulators 6 November 22nd 06 09:42 PM
Autopilot install. Jimmy B. Owning 19 July 19th 05 09:29 AM
KLN-94 Install Manual Mike Granby Owning 5 July 7th 05 11:33 AM
New Lycoming Install Evan Carew Home Built 2 October 9th 04 04:10 AM