Pulsar with a turbine?

Old August 19th 03, 02:42 PM
Badwater Bill

Default Pulsar with a turbine?

Anybody ever think about putting a SOLAR turbine on the front of a
Pulsar? Ric Stitt tells me his planetary transmission will drive a
prop at 3000 rpm as a constant rpm output from the SOLAR. At about
150 hp and using the prop at constant rpm with varying pitch, that
baby ought to go Vne in level flight.

Anyone out there ever think about this?

Badwater Bill

Old August 20th 03, 12:58 PM
Badwater Bill

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 00:04:00 GMT, "Blueskies" wrote:

How many GPH for fuel flow at 150 hp? The Helicycle I saw last weekend burned 10 GPH, and the engine is derated to 105
hp...

Dan: What do you mean? Does someone have a gas turbine on a
helicycle?

To answer your question, I think that Solar turbine burns about 15
gal/hr. I'm not sure. The BSFC (pounds of fuel burned per hour per
horsepower) Brake Specific Fuel Consumption for the turbine is much
higher than for the internal combustion engine. Hell, the Jet Ranger
I fly burns 20 gal/hr at idle on the ramp and 30 gal/hr at full power.
It's because you have to run that damn compressor at idle just to get
the engine to run.

Kind of a funny engine in a way. Burns 2/3 the fuel it uses at full
power just to idle.

BWB

Old August 20th 03, 01:10 PM
seantrost

BWB,

Yep the helicycle is now turbine powered comes standard.

all the best.
Sean Trost

Old August 20th 03, 02:12 PM
Rick Pellicciotti

"Badwater Bill" wrote in message

Anybody ever think about putting a SOLAR turbine on the front of a
Pulsar? Ric Stitt tells me his planetary transmission will drive a
prop at 3000 rpm as a constant rpm output from the SOLAR. At about
150 hp and using the prop at constant rpm with varying pitch, that
baby ought to go Vne in level flight.

Anyone out there ever think about this?

Badwater Bill

I realize this is a troll but here I go anyway:

The Pulsar I had would hit Vne at WOT on a 65hp, Rotax 582. Why would I
want a turbine?

Rick Pellicciotti

Old August 20th 03, 03:10 PM
Marvin Barnard

Talk to Doug Swocherth(spelling?), heck of a nice guy, just very busy.
He built his homebuilt design helicopter with Rotax power, then adapted
Solar, then went to helicycle airframe.

Old August 21st 03, 05:03 AM
Jim

Bill, seventy turbines have been shipped to the customers of Helicycle just
last week. They are modified by BJ just for the Helicycle. It is the
standard engine now.

Jim

Old August 21st 03, 04:42 PM
Gig Giacona

Is the Helicycle legit or is it another Mini-500. I was looking at the web
site and can't find a think about building methods or cost. At list DF said
how much the Mini cost.

Old August 22nd 03, 03:42 AM
Badwater Bill

God Damn. A real experimenter. You remind me of Craig Wall. Hang in
there buddy and thanks for the pic. Looks neat! I'd love to be
working on that thingy with you. What state are you in?

Bill
Old August 22nd 03, 03:47 AM
Badwater Bill

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:03:59 -0700, "Jim" wrote:

Bill, seventy turbines have been shipped to the customers of Helicycle just
last week. They are modified by BJ just for the Helicycle. It is the
standard engine now.

Jim

Damn. I didn't know that. The guy above gave me the link to see it.
Great! I love it.

I'll tell you what happened to me here. I sort of knew that BJ Schram
was working with the Solar turbine from talking with Ric Stitt. In
fact maybe Ric even told me that BJ was doing what you said above. I
got confused because TEAM (Tennessee Engineering and Manufacturing)
who built the MINIMAX had an airplane that rang a bell in my head like
that helicycle that BJ is screwing with.

I thought someone had put a turbine on one of those ultralight
airplanes of TEAM's. They had something they called the Aerial cycle
or something like that about 10 years ago, but I can't remember what
the exact name was. So, I was corn-fused a bit about it, thinking it
was on an airplane.

Let me ask you guys who know about this a question. What if the Solar
detonates or starts coming apart. Is there appropriate shielding
around the turbine to protect the pilot?

BWB