Cheapest place to get a helicopter license

Old December 6th 03, 01:59 PM

Default Cheapest place to get a helicopter license

Where is the cheapest place to get dual training in an R22 helicopter?

I thought I found a flight school web site that advertised $150/hr,
but I didn't save the link and can't find it again so I'm starting to
wonder if I just dreamed it.

Are there individuals with their own R22 and a CFI license that can
train you for less than the schools charge?

Dennis.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."
To find out what an H-1B is and how they are putting
Americans out of work, visit the following web site
and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news video:
http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Old December 6th 03, 06:53 PM
Stu Fields

Zemlock helicopters in Chino Ca. offers dual in a Bell 47 for $150/hr. I
liked the instruction.
Stu Fields Safari pilot

Old December 7th 03, 01:26 PM

I think this is the guy. http://www.zemlock.com/courses.html
Still, I would rather do it in an R22 since that is what I started in.
I think the FAA will make me toss all my R22 hours if I switched. It
looks like a good school though.

Dennis.

"Stu Fields" wrote:

Zemlock helicopters in Chino Ca. offers dual in a Bell 47 for $150/hr. I
liked the instruction.
Stu Fields Safari pilot

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following

Old December 7th 03, 05:11 PM
Stu Fields

All of my Schweitzer 300CB, Safari and even Benson Gyro time was included in
my rotary wing hours as well as the Bell 47.
BTW: Zemlock trains a bunch of the law-enforcement types from all over Calif
plus...He has had guys from all over. One in particular is the president of
a non Bell helicopter co. who got his rating in the Bell 47 because it was
easier for him to get away and concentrate on the rating with Zemlock.

Stu Fields

Old December 8th 03, 03:09 AM

I don't see how a Bensen Gyro can be used for hours. I thought time
in ultralights couldn't be counted. As far as the mixed bag of
helicopters, I could not find anything in the rules that say it has to
be the same make and model. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place,
but 61.109 uses the phrase "in a helicopter" which I take to mean
*any* helicopter.

I really wish Zemlock was a little closer to me. I'm in S. FL and,
while there is no shortage of helicopter schools near me, there isn't
any as cheap as Zemlock. I'll bet this guy is also an A&P and that's
how he gets the rate down.

The cheapest school near me is $190/hr dual. I might be willing to
travel out of state, but CA from FL is just too far.

Dennis.

Old December 8th 03, 04:27 AM
Stu Fields

He not only is an A&P but an IA, and an Examiner also. I was told by Ken
Brock " If you learn to fly a helicopter with Zemlock, you'll never die in a
helicopter". I asked if that was because he would scare you out of ever
riding in one again... Several people that I know just got into their
camper and moved into an RV park a mile or two away from Chino Airport and
stayed until they got their license. While the cost is cheap the training
is thorough. Even with my PPL and just going for the helo add-on, Mike gave
me a 17 page list of questions that he might ask on the check ride. While I
didn't have to take a private helo written, I'm sure I could have passed it.
Also he did convince me very early that there wasn't a dang thing that I
could do to the helo that he couldn't get us out of. If I'm ever in a helo
that slings a blade, I want Mike to be in the other seat and I think I will
make it.

Stu Fields Safari pilot

Old December 11th 03, 04:08 PM
Mark

wrote in message ...
Where is the cheapest place to get dual training in an R22 helicopter?

Dennis:
Sorry in advance, I don't mean to slam you. However I just want to
give people something to think about when asking this question.

"Where is the cheapest place to get a helicopter license".

I've been asked this questions a lot about a Private Pilots license.
My reply has always been to ask the person if they needed a Kidney
transplant would they shop around for the cheapest doctor? Flying is
not like buying a car where you try to get the cheapest price
possible. Your life as well as your passengers are in your hands.
I've seen a lot of instructors I wouldn't even fly with let alone have
them teach me anything.

Another think for new pilots to consider is your training is ONLY the
cover charge, keeping your license current is the true cost of flying.
I've known a lot of pilots that spent a great deal of money getting a
license and then be in debt so they can't fly as much as they need to
to stay safe and current.

When considering becoming a pilot, save up the money needed to get the
license BEFORE you start training. Then set aside an allowance each
month towards flying. Keep in mind that the hours the FAA says you
need to stay current is no where close to what you need to be safe. I
would guess 6 hours a month is the least amount you want to fly. Can
you afford this?

Now, if you say you want to fly for a living then getting the cheapest
instruction will hamper you when competing for a job. As in most
things in life, you get what you pay for.
Old December 14th 03, 04:58 AM

(Mark) wrote:

I've been asked this questions a lot about a Private Pilots license.
My reply has always been to ask the person if they needed a Kidney
transplant would they shop around for the cheapest doctor? Flying is
not like buying a car where you try to get the cheapest price
possible. Your life as well as your passengers are in your hands.
I've seen a lot of instructors I wouldn't even fly with let alone have
them teach me anything.

Well, your point is only sort of clear. In general, the old addage
"You get what you pay for" is usually pretty true, however, not
always. Some flight schools are overpriced and others are
underpriced. Just because some guy charges $150/hr doesn't
necessarilly mean that he knows less than the guy charging $250/hr.

As best as I can tell, the largest percentage of the helicopter
training hour is due to the expense of the helicopter and not the
instructor. The cost of the helicopter may vary significantly from
school to school.

Some schools have fixed lease expenses and others own their
helicopters. Some have their own A&P guys so they don't have to send
it out in order to have the spark plugs changed. Some buy parts
straight from Robinson, and some get on ebay and look for used parts
that are still good. All of these things add up.

And finally, some schools that cut their costs will pass those savings
on to the student and others will put it in their pockets.

When considering becoming a pilot, save up the money needed to get the
license BEFORE you start training. Then set aside an allowance each
month towards flying. Keep in mind that the hours the FAA says you
need to stay current is no where close to what you need to be safe. I
would guess 6 hours a month is the least amount you want to fly. Can
you afford this?

I have my own Rotorway in my garage. Rotorway said that they will
train me for $175/hr, however, I would rather find something closer to
where I live and then go to Rotorway for the transition. There are
two local R22 helischools and both are about $200/hr, but I think I
can do better. Just the cost of the airport is another factor. The
airports don't give the schools free rent. Some school operating in
the middle of a cow pasture is probably cheaper and can still fly out
of the same airports.

As far as flying once I have my license, this will be done mostly in
my own helicopter. I had not heard that there is a minimum number of
hours a month that one must fly in order to keep a heli license. This
is new to me.

Now, if you say you want to fly for a living then getting the cheapest
instruction will hamper you when competing for a job. As in most
things in life, you get what you pay for.

At this time, all I want to do is fly the thing for leisure. I don't
have any asparations of becoming a a commercial guy.

Old December 22nd 03, 06:50 AM
John Roncallo

Craig Welch wrote:

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 12:59:55 GMT,
wrote:

Where is the cheapest place to get dual training in an R22 helicopter?

Who cares? Why are you not asking 'where is the *best* place to get
dual training in an R22 helicopter?

I thought I found a flight school web site that advertised $150/hr,
but I didn't save the link and can't find it again so I'm starting to
wonder if I just dreamed it.

Are there individuals with their own R22 and a CFI license that can
train you for less than the schools charge?

You're mad. I can only hope that I never have to share the same
airspace as you.

In some cases I agree with this and in some cases I dont. These days I
find most flight training facilities having large turnovers of both
instructors and aircraft that I have found it most important to find a
place where you can get in and out of quickly. That being said the
student should never stop learning and find a good flight instructor to
brush up on things once in a while after getting a license.

I recommend camping out at Ocean Helicopters in West Palm Beach FL. They
have relatively inexpensive condos for rent and will get you scheduled 2
times a day to get it over and done with. Because of the intensive
training schedule and airport setup, the course will be completed in
minimal hours. Plus the staff was well experienced and gave very good
quality instruction.

The key things you need to look for at a facility are.
1) Availability of Aircraft
2) Availability of Instructors
3) Proximity of training area to helipad (dont pay to fly a helicopter
to a training area)
4) Reputation of school to get ratings done quickly.
5) Take a good look at the rules and make sure there is nothing too
restrictive to slow down your progress.

Old December 22nd 03, 10:45 PM
Stu Fields

I totally agree with John's statements. I took some lessons with a major
school and the instructors were all foreign nationals here to build hours
and not very interested in instructing. Although I had successfully flown
my Safari helo before, I had about 6 hrs. in their Schweitzer 300CB and
wasn't sure that I had ever had the controls all to myself. We also had to
fly some 25 miles to the practice area. I dropped out and found the
operator at Chino. Although he only had one ship flying, I was able to get
one-on-one instruction which included what amounted to free ground school. I
was also able to get as much time/per day that I could stand. The
instructors weren't just trying to build time. I had all of the controls on
the first lift off and I knew it. I learned more in the first hour than I
had at the previous operation in 5 hrs. The first operation was a giant
commercial helo instruction center (which now resides in Florida somewhere).
Quantity vs. Quality. The two sound similar but have hugely different
content and meaning.
Stu Fields Safari Builder, and Pilot.
"John Roncallo" wrote in message
. com...