REQ: RN in Korea

Old August 2nd 14, 10:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
JR[_4_]

Default REQ: RN in Korea

Hia folks

I'm trying to find photos, any photos, of the Fleet Air Arm during the
war in Korea.

I've browsed the net, but can only find poor quality images.
Old August 3rd 14, 03:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Orlando Quattro[_2_]

In article ,
JR wrote:
=
= Hia folks
=
= I'm trying to find photos, any photos, of the Fleet Air Arm during the
= war in Korea.
=
= I've browsed the net, but can only find poor quality images.

The following scavenged from the Internet at large,
none of it original with me.

Korean War 1950-1953

After North Korea attacked South Korea, UN troops led by the United
States invaded the country. China and the Soviet Union back North Korea.
The cease-fire leaves the two countries with the pre-war status quo.

Supermarine Seafires, Hawker Sea Furies and Fairey Fireflies from a
succession of light fleet carriers provided the only British air
contribution to the Korean War. The Westland Dragonfly, one of the first
Search and Rescue helicopters, was first used in this war.

Supermarine Seafire
http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/aircraft/Seafire.htm

Hawker Sea Fury
http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/aircraft/Seafury.html

A good overview of all RN aircraft operations in Korea
http://airspacehistorian.wordpress.c...ea-fury-korean
-operations/

Fairey Firefly
http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Aircraft/Firefly.htm

Westland Dragonfly
http://www.helis.com/database/modelorg/104/

The Dragonfly replaced the Sea Otter in the SAR role and it also served
as a plane guard, during fixed wing carrier operations (replacing a
Destroyer and around 250 souls in the role) recovering the crew in case
of deck accidents. 1st SAR Dragonfly unit embarked on HMS Indomitable
(R92) on 12 Jan 1951. 2nd SAR unit on HMS Glory (R62) from Apr 1951 and
rescued downed pilots during the Korean War.

These were followed into service by another 58 Dragonfly HR.3 (with
metal main rotors). They served at numerous Station SAR Flights and
aboard the UK carrier fleet. RNAS Lossiemouth (HMS Fulmar) was the 1st
shore station to equip its SAR Flight with Dragonfly in Mar 1953. 15 RN
shore stations and 9 RN carriers operated SAR Flights during the 1950s.

OQuattro

--
Orlando Quattro -- oquattro at magma dot ca
The Starving Artist's Garratt
Old August 3rd 14, 06:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
JR[_4_]

On Sat, 02 Aug 2014 22:23:12 -0400, Orlando Quattro
wrote:

In article ,
JR wrote:
=
= Hia folks
=
= I'm trying to find photos, any photos, of the Fleet Air Arm during the
= war in Korea.
=
= I've browsed the net, but can only find poor quality images.

The following scavenged from the Internet at large,
none of it original with me.

I know what they used, but getting good pics seems to be hard. Thanks
anyway.