More fuel for thought

Old April 18th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
PhilS1965

Default More fuel for thought

On Apr 14, 8:44 pm, "Matt W. Barrow"
wrote:
"PhilS1965" wrote in message

If we were to exploit every potential domestic oil resource we have,
including Bakken, the Alask Wildlife Refuge and all offshore sources
within our territorial waters, it would barely make a dent in our
consumption. This is a simple fact acknowledged by the oil companies
themselves.

Cite?

From the conservative New York Post:

http://tinyurl.com/2np4yb

" Overall, experts estimate that the undiscovered resources on the
federal Outer Continental Shelf that could be recovered with today's
technology are some 420 trillion cubic feet of gas and 77 billion
barrels of oil..."

This editorial is actually close to your view, but the numbers are
telling. When added to our proven reserves of around 20 billion
barrels, this great undiscovered 77 billion barrels gives us enough
oil to supply ourselves (just the United States) for about 13 years.
That's at the current rate of consumption, of course.

Opinions of oil company executives on peak oil:

http://www.energybulletin.net/37027.html

The opinions are many and varied, of course, as one might expect. But
many of them are surprisingly candid.

People need to get over the utopian idea that there's some vast
untapped oil resource out there, but we're somehow being prevented
from using it. As we all learned in elementary school, fossil fuels
are a finite resource, and they're running out. There shouldn't even
be a political component to it, but for some reason, there is. Facts
shouldn't be this controversial.

Yeah, they've been telling us that since the 1880's and good little menchen
keep barfing it out in public.

Look, you may have misunderstood my intentions. I actually don't have
major objections to exploiting known oil reserves. I think a few basic
environmental guidelines are in order, since I don't happen to like
beaches that can't be walked on or surf that can't be swum in, as I'm
sure you don't either. I'm simply trying to be realistic with numbers.
Most of the estimates I've given you are actually oil company
estimates. If we take the oil companies at their word, we could drill
every square centimeter of the North American continent, both offshore
and on, and buy ourselves 13 years.
Old April 18th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
PhilS1965

On Apr 14, 9:03 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
People need to get over the utopian idea that there's some vast
untapped oil resource out there, but we're somehow being prevented
from using it.

http://tinyurl.com/54rp3x

Whoops! Another utopian idea reinforced....

;-)

33 billion barrels. Enough to supply the world for a whole year.

Here are some helpful statistics on oil consumption:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/neic/quickfacts/quickoil.html

I think part of the problem here is people misunderstanding the
numbers. As I cited in an above post, the most optimistic projections
of known and potential reserves in North America would supply the U.S.
for 13 years. I don't know about you, but 13 years doesn't seem as
long to me as it used to. I'm trying to think a bit further into the
future, but unfortunately when it comes to this topic, people seem to
think in terms of their next trip to the pump.

Old April 19th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Dylan Smith schrieb:
but it's interesting to note that most oil companies haven't
called themselves oil companies for some time, instead calling
themselves energy companies - and spending R&D money on developing all
sorts of energy products.

BP is one of the worlds largest producers of solar panels.

#m

Old April 20th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:04:00 +0200, Martin Hotze wrote:

BP is one of the worlds largest producers of solar panels.

....and one of the largest killers of refinery workers.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine..._bplede16.html