Seaplane in florida?

Old March 24th 04, 03:49 AM
Magnus

Default Seaplane in florida?

Any of you guys now of a good place to get a sea rating in florida?
I've been dying to try it, and also to get into bush flying but it
seems hard to get a foot in the door unless you have some seaplane
experience.

Any bush-people out there?

Old March 24th 04, 05:01 AM
BTIZ

Brown's? near Homestead or are they on the west coast..

there was an article in Flying Mag on them years ago

BT

Old March 24th 04, 05:35 AM
B25flyer

Brown's? near Homestead or are they on the west coast..

Brown's is located in Winter Haven half way between Tampa and Orlando. Three
day course in 90 HP J-3's. Lots of fun.

Walt
Old March 24th 04, 11:45 AM
CFLav8r

Any of you guys now of a good place to get a sea rating in florida?

Jack Brown has a Seaplane school in Winter Haven, Florida.
It is located half way between Orlando and Tampa.
I believe the cost is still around $975.
Here is the web address: http://www.gate.net/~seaplane/index.htm

David (KORL)

Old March 24th 04, 07:59 PM
Chris

Magnus wrote:
Any of you guys now of a good place to get a sea rating in florida? I've
been dying to try it, and also to get into bush flying but it seems hard
to get a foot in the door unless you have some seaplane experience.

Any bush-people out there?

What would interest me is what are you going to do with your sea-plane
rating after you got it? - buying a sea-plane? Becaues renting one seems
to be close to impossible.

Chris

Old March 24th 04, 11:15 PM
Magnus

Exactly! That's the whole problem, sea time seems harder to come by
than multi time.... I honestly don't know. I DO know that the maldives
air taxi want 500 hrs sea before they consider you for emplyment.

Old March 25th 04, 12:40 AM
BTIZ

yes.... but a FL vacation... 3 days of flying capped off by a check ride...
a new rating on the ticket and credit for a flight review that is required
every two years..

most people spend that much on a vacation and get nothing out of it but a
sun burn.

BT

Old March 25th 04, 03:02 PM
Paul Sengupta

Winter Haven. The lake you fly over on the approach to 04.
The base is just off the other side of the airport (off the main
road, not through the airport entrance).

Paul

Old March 26th 04, 03:06 AM
Capt.Doug

"Magnus" wrote in message Exactly! That's the whole problem, sea time
seems harder to come by
than multi time.... I honestly don't know. I DO know that the maldives
air taxi want 500 hrs sea before they consider you for emplyment.

Seaplanes have a higher incident rate than land planes. Therefore insurance
minimums are much higher. Additionally, there are less seaplanes in much of
the world. It's a harder road to go down.

Here's another choice (I did mine with him)-
http://www.seaplane-safaris.com/index2.html

and another-
http://www.seaplanesofkeywest.com/index.htm

and if you have the right to work in the US-
http://www.chalksoceanairways.com/

D.

Old March 27th 04, 03:16 PM

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 22:49:49 -0500, Magnus
wrote:

Any of you guys now of a good place to get a sea rating in florida?
I've been dying to try it, and also to get into bush flying but it
seems hard to get a foot in the door unless you have some seaplane
experience.

Any bush-people out there

Brown's may train more seaplane pilots than any other places
in the country. They've been around a long time and certainly know
what they're doing. I got my rating from them a couple years ago. I'm
leaving tomorrow to do my commercial seaplane and for that I'm going
to http://www.flyfloatplanes.com/. He's also in the Orlando area but
rather than Cubs he uses a Maule and though it may cost me a little
more I like the idea of flying something different.
A directory of seaplane training operations and a lot of good
info can be found at: http://www.seaplanes.org/training/index.htm

Jim