new computer problems

Old March 24th 04, 02:15 PM
Dan Rihn

Default new computer problems

I recently got a new laptop that doesn't have a com port.
How can I communicate with my Volkslogger using the USB port?

I have a USB cable that has a com port end on it but I can't get the
VL to use the USB port.

Thanks
Dan Rihn
Old March 24th 04, 02:31 PM
Jim Vincent

I recently got a new laptop that doesn't have a com port.
How can I communicate with my Volkslogger using the USB port?

Try one of these from Belkin.com PN F5U109.
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...Id=&Section_Id
=1657&pcount=&Product_Id=91042

I have a USB cable that has a com port end on it but I can't get the
VL to use the USB port.

What adapter did you buy? Did you load the software for it? What OS on your
PC?

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ
illspam
Old March 24th 04, 03:41 PM
John Galloway

There is due to be an upgraded Volkslogger next year
that has a bigger memory and USB compatibility.

John Galloway

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...erchant_Id=&Se

Old March 25th 04, 02:31 PM
Dan Rihn

John Galloway wrote in message ...
[...]

Jim;
the Adapter is IECOM cable
it didn't have any software with it
tried both Windows 2000 and Windows XP

SeeYou is askig for the Com port. When plugging into the VL the
computer is asking for the drivers for the new device. The VL doesn't
have any drivers so what to do?

Thanks,
Dan
Old March 25th 04, 11:09 PM
Tim Newport-Peace

[...]

I think this sort of problem has been reported before on this newsgroup,
is your new PC a Compaq?

As I recall, if the USB/Serial_Converter Cable is connected before the
PC is loaded, Windows mistakenly thinks the USB device is a Mouse
creating general all-round confusion :¬{. When the USB port is grabbed
by the system, it is not available to SeeYou, which may be your problem.

There have also been various reports of some USB/Serial_Converter Cables
not working with Flight Recorders, but I believe Belkin is model that
does work. Try and borrow one to see if it solves your problem.

Best regards,

Tim Newport-Peace
--
"It is unwise to pay too much, but it is worse to pay too little.

When you pay too much, you lose a little money. That is all.

When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything. Because the
thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting
a lot. It cannot be done.

If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is as well to add something for
the risk. And if you do that you will have enough to pay for something
better."

John Ruskin, 1819-1900.
Old March 26th 04, 12:46 PM
fw.unt

(Dan Rihn) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Hi
You must have a driver for the OS. There is a page www.iecom.com.tw so
search for it (cryptic). I use another one from aten www.aten.com.tw
and there is also some english text to find the driver.
Maybe you can use the driver from this webpage - it is a pl23XX
compatible and there is a little chance to get it working. Give it a
try!

Regards fw.
Old March 26th 04, 01:53 PM
Jim Vincent

SeeYou is askig for the Com port. When plugging into the VL the
computer is asking for the drivers for the new device. The VL doesn't
have any drivers so what to do?

Go to www.belkin.com, search for F5U109, select USB PDA Adapter. In the blue
box click on drivers. This link might work:
http://web.belkin.com/support/downlo...=F5U109&lang=1
&mode=

Jim Vincent
CFIG