Rumsfeld and flying

Old March 15th 04, 07:00 AM
Mary Shafer

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 19:26:40 -0500, Allen Epps
wrote:

And indeed that answers that he was a Naval Aviator and when. To answer
the second part he flew S2F Trackers aka Stoofs.

Regarding which, see:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tegory=26 428

Mary

Old March 15th 04, 07:34 AM
Krztalizer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...em=2465603921&

category=26428

Kick the tires and light the fires, big daddy.
Old March 15th 04, 10:56 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Krztalizer wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...em=2465603921&
category=26428

Kick the tires and light the fires, big daddy.

I was going to bid until I saw it was out of annual. Foiled again!

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Old March 15th 04, 07:08 PM
Peter Stickney

nt (Krztalizer) wrote in message ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...em=2465603921&
category=26428

Kick the tires and light the fires, big daddy.

Well, it's been overdue for an annual for 11 years, the
engines have to be pretty close to an overhaul
(At what, 15 grand each?) and, without looking it up, it's
a fair bet the props are due, too. (2700 Hrs on the props,
about twice that on the airframe, so the last set got changed
at about the same elapsed time)

Now, we'v got a guuy up here in the Upper Right Corner of the
country, with a TF-1/C-1A. All the fun of a Stoof, and you can
take the kids & the dog along, too. (For the younger folks,
the C-1A was the Navy's COD transport before the C-2 took over.
It was basically an S-2 with all the ASW geat removed, passenger
seats, and special cargo bins (So that they could make Car shots
and arrested landings without squashing anybody))

--
Pete Stickney
Old March 15th 04, 08:23 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Peter Stickney" wrote in message
om...
[...]

That wouldn't be located at that airport you pass on the road just before
crossing bridge that leads from the mainland out to Acadia/Bar Harbor, is
it? Saw a few older aircraft there last summer, one of which was an
unidentified twin-engine off in the distance.

Brooks

--
Pete Stickney

Old March 16th 04, 11:34 PM
Ganton Pretz

Howard Berkowitz wrote in message ...
In article , "Dave Kearton"
wrote:

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message
| In article ,

| So how is Rumsfeld avoiding combat if he's flying ASW duty, but he and
| his squadronmates were part of a strategic deterresnt against Communist
| forces?

| ASW pilots that sank subs in WWII rarely were shot at in the
| Atlantic theater -- the weather, distances and aircraft reliability
| were
| far more an issue. So is attacking a submerged sub seeing the
| elephant?

Very minor nitpick Howard.

ASW crews in the Atlantic were routinely shot at in the latter part of
the
war and some were shot down by their quarry.

From late '43, the anti submarine weapons became more common and more
effective. U-boat crews often felt they had a better chance of
survival
if they stayed on the surface and engaged the aircraft at over 2,000m
with
20mm and larger.

I am aware of Doenitz putting extra AA on some subs, and especially the
Bay of Biscay, but my impression was that while subs hit a few planes,
so many subs were lost quickly that Doenitz quit this quickly. I'm
certainly willing to be corrected on this.

Trying to shoot up aircarft was a waste of time. The balance of
stress was with the U-boat. They were raw, tired, paranoid, and then
bingo a big plane with a light blasts them.

The aircrew would be the least stressed. They were the people picking
the moment. Convoying the U-boats together might ensure a hit but was
as likely to lose a U-boat. A U-boat for a plane was a bad swop.

The solution had to be the tracking of coastal command aeroplanes the
same way the Germans tracked bomber comand aircraft. However the
Goring was not a team player. IFF (British) could be detected and used
by the Germans.