Duxford last sunday Dakota and spitfire

Old July 5th 07, 11:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
fffffff

Default Duxford last sunday Dakota and spitfire

Hi
As Waddo was canceled last sunday went to Dux instead and was lucky enough
to see some flying.
Just wondering if anyone here has a pic of the Dakota either landing or
taking off as i was not able to get any.
Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2610.JPG (75.0 KB, 49 views)
Old July 6th 07, 12:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bruce R

"fffffff" wrote in message
Hi
As Waddo was canceled last sunday went to Dux instead and was lucky enough
to see some flying.
Just wondering if anyone here has a pic of the Dakota either landing or
taking off as i was not able to get any.
Thanks

The plane in the background may not be a spitfire....they had an elliptical
wing and that one is squared off at the tips. I could be wrong but maybe
its the angle I'm looking at it.

Bruce

Old July 6th 07, 01:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Indrek Aavisto Indrek Aavisto is offline
Banned

BR "fffffff" wrote in message
BR ...
Hi
As Waddo was canceled last sunday went to Dux instead and was lucky
enough
to see some flying.
Just wondering if anyone here has a pic of the Dakota either landing
or
taking off as i was not able to get any.
Thanks

BR The plane in the background may not be a spitfire....they had an
BR elliptical
BR wing and that one is squared off at the tips. I could be wrong but
BR maybe
BR its the angle I'm looking at it.

BR Bruce

It's a Mk XIV clipped wing Spitfire, I think

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

--
Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult. W.S. Churchill

Old July 6th 07, 01:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jim[_2_]

Griffin engined Spitfire -- don't know the Mark # but they did 'clip' the
wings on the late models.

Old July 6th 07, 05:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Jim" wrote:

Griffin engined Spitfire -- don't know the Mark # but they did 'clip' the
wings on the late models.

I saw a Griffon-powered Spit at Sun-N-Fun this year and knew immediately
that it had to be a layer Mark, as it did not have that distinctive
merlin sound!

Old July 8th 07, 02:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jack Frobisher

The configuration of a Griphon engine is not that different from a Merlin
and should sound very similar. Perhaps it had the classic wing shape but a
radial engine (2x9), in which case it would have been a Sea Fury.

)

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news

Old July 8th 07, 10:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Jack Frobisher" wrote:

The configuration of a Griphon engine is not that different from a Merlin
and should sound very similar. Perhaps it had the classic wing shape but a
radial engine (2x9), in which case it would have been a Sea Fury.

No -- IIRC, it was a Mk XXI and had a heavier sound than the Merlin.
When i went over to look at it, I could see the bumps in the cowl to
accept the bigger engine.

Old July 8th 07, 10:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jack Frobisher

Griphon definitely was bigger, approaching 10 inches taller I think, plus
the magneto/distributor at the other end resulted in a different profile,
especially along the top of the cowling; much more rounded instead of the
Merlin's square "tabletop".

Sorry about the tping/speelling - been out to celebrate 30 years of
marriage.

)

Old July 8th 07, 11:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Richard Brooks

Jack Frobisher said the following on 08/07/07 14:20:
The configuration of a Griphon engine is not that different from a Merlin
and should sound very similar. Perhaps it had the classic wing shape but a
radial engine (2x9), in which case it would have been a Sea Fury.

)

The Griffon has more of a pulsating, gargling sound.

Starting at 1:05, can even be heard towards take-off speed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsY5SbXhqVg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYjriT7lVHw

Some Merlins. :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYsLvdSmKQI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z_F14hm-CE

I saw a Griffon-powered Spit at Sun-N-Fun this year and knew immediately
that it had to be a layer Mark, as it did not have that distinctive
merlin sound!

--
"Initiative is punishable."
Russian business saying.