Sky High Av gas **** you off?

Old June 3rd 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Sky High Av gas **** you off?

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 01:55:02 GMT, wrote in
:

If, could, should, might, and someday don't count in the real here
and now.

Change is inevitable.

Old June 3rd 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 23:25:03 GMT, wrote in
:

To the extent solar energy is used to power automobiles, I would
expect it to displace gasoline.

You can expect it all you want, but since there is no generally
available such thing in the real world right now, spinning electric
meters backwards won't reduce oil consumption.

I see no reason for idle solar generating facilities located in the
Mojave Desert during any part of the year. However, it appears that
SoCal Edison prefers solar generation occur a little closer to where
its needed:

If you build more capacity than the annual daily average, the facility
will be idle.

What do you do with electricity for which there is no demand?

Electricity in large amounts doesn't store that well. The only thing
that works is to pump water uphill when you have an excess and run
it back downhill through turbines later.

That takes lots of land that is significantly uphill to pull off.

And of course Edison is going to avoid the enourmous expense of
installing and maintaining transmission lines while they suck the
well of subsidies dry if they can.

Wind, geothermal, hydro, and all the conventional sources, I suppose.

The conventional sources are hydro, coal, nuclear, and natural gas
in no particular order.

And once again, electricity has little to nothing to do with oil.

To the extent it can be made to replace petroleum products, I believe
it does.

That extent in today's real world is basically zero.

Wish all you want.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 3rd 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

gatt wrote:
Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:

It is only financially rewarding because it was made politically
correct to be an environmentalist.

Depends on where you live and the specific issues. There are more types
and degrees of environmentalists out here as there are states in the union.

-c

I have to disagree with you here. Pretty much everywhere in the US,
including the oil producing and processing states it is politically
correct to be an environmentalist right now.

Old June 3rd 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 04:15:02 GMT, wrote in
:

That's .0000066% of US oil usage; that's going to make a big dent.

"No single raindrop believes that it is responsible for the flood."
http://www.despair.com/ir.html
Old June 3rd 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

wrote in message

Only a small segment of the US uses "oil" for heating these days.

Ths only reference I found said home heating oil accounts for 25% of the
crude consumption. see
http://www.alternativeenergyhq.com/e...on-is-gasoline

Old June 3rd 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon

Regards,
Jon
Old June 3rd 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Nomen Nescio wrote:

That's .0000066% of US oil usage; that's going to make a big dent.

Now, multiply that by (roughly) 65% of the homes in Mass.

OK, that shaves off a zero or two.

The truck that delivered the carrots to your grocery store uses more
than that every day.

Then that truck REALLY needs a tune-up.

Have you any idea what the milage of an eighteen wheeler is?

Only a small segment of the US uses "oil" for heating these days.

But those that do, live where it's kinda cold.
Miami, FL has 173 degree-days.
Pittsfield, MA (the town closest to me that I have quickly available data for)
has 7694 degree-days.

I'd bet you'll find a LOT more oil burners in Pittsfield.

Yeah, there is still a lot of it in the North East.

I'm not arguing that, I'm argueing that when you look at the US as whole,
oil burners are in the minority.

According to DOE, about 7.5% of US homes use heating oil.

In the US, the percentage of oil used for stationary uses, which includes
residential, commercial, industrial, and electricity generation, is
less than 20% of the total and falling every year.

See this graph:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/p..._cons_prod.htm

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Fix the high cost [Was:] High Cost of Sportplanes Evan Carew Home Built 40 October 8th 05 04:05 AM
High Oil Pressure (was: Low oil pressure, high oil temp?) Thomas Ploch Owning 4 October 5th 04 04:34 AM
1972 piss test . . . so where was dubya ?? Transition Zone Military Aviation 8 September 23rd 04 04:48 AM
High And Low SelwayKid Piloting 5 July 18th 04 04:09 AM
IVO pireps wanted.. high performance/high speed... Dave S Home Built 8 June 2nd 04 04:12 PM