Taxi instructions

Old August 10th 04, 01:30 PM
Richard Russell

Default Taxi instructions

Went to RDG the other day because it had been too long since I went to
a towered field and I needed the radio practice. I was directed to
fly right base to 36 and landed uneventfully. Upon landing, the tower
asked my intentions. I told them that I would like to taxi back for
take-off and departure to the south. They directed me to turn left on
Golf to 36.

Fortunately, I had printed out a taxiway diagram because I have been
confused (lost) at airports in the past. A quick look showed me that
Golf doesn't go to 36. I would have to go from Golf to Delta to Alpha
to 36, also crossing 31 along the way. With my limited experience at
these kinds of airports, I elected to contact the tower and ask if his
intention was for me to use Golf, Delta and Alpha to get to 36. This
was of particular importance to me because of the required crossing of
31. I know that a clearance to taxi to a runway also clears you to
cross any runways on the route to the assigned runway but he was not
clear from the outset what the prescribed route was. Should he have
been more clear or should I have assumed that he wanted me to take all
three taxiways because that's what you have to do to get there? I
wouldn't have bothered him except for my paranoid vision of a
potential runway incursion at 31. Thanks.

Rich Russell
Old August 10th 04, 02:06 PM
john smith

Richard Russell wrote:
[...]

You did the right thing.
Better to ask for clarification than to misinterpret an instruction.
If they choose to lecture you, just request progressive taxi instructions.

Old August 10th 04, 02:12 PM
kontiki

Whwnever you are unsure of a clearance you should ask for clarification.
You did the right thing.

Old August 10th 04, 02:38 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Richard Russell" wrote in message

Went to RDG the other day because it had been too long since I went to
a towered field and I needed the radio practice. I was directed to
fly right base to 36 and landed uneventfully. Upon landing, the tower
asked my intentions. I told them that I would like to taxi back for
take-off and departure to the south. They directed me to turn left on
Golf to 36.

Fortunately, I had printed out a taxiway diagram because I have been
confused (lost) at airports in the past. A quick look showed me that
Golf doesn't go to 36.

Did he tell you to "taxi to runway 36 via taxiway golf" or did he tell you
to "turn left on golf taxi to runway 36"? The first is impossible, the
second simply specifies the taxiway to exit the runway.

I would have to go from Golf to Delta to Alpha
to 36, also crossing 31 along the way.

Actually, you'd have to go from Golf to Delta to Bravo to Alpha, crossing
Runway 31 along the way.

With my limited experience at
these kinds of airports, I elected to contact the tower and ask if his
intention was for me to use Golf, Delta and Alpha to get to 36. This
was of particular importance to me because of the required crossing of
31. I know that a clearance to taxi to a runway also clears you to
cross any runways on the route to the assigned runway but he was not
clear from the outset what the prescribed route was.

If other aircraft or vehicles are not a factor there's no need for them to
specify a route.

Should he have
been more clear or should I have assumed that he wanted me to take all
three taxiways because that's what you have to do to get there?

Well, if that's what you have to do to get there, that's what he'll expect
you to do.

Old August 10th 04, 04:15 PM
Richard Russell

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:38:21 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"Richard Russell" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Sorry, I missed the Bravo part in my description. He told me to turn
left on Golf to 36, which is sort of a hybrid of the two choices that
you gave me. I assumed that he wanted to me use whatever taxiways are
necessary to get there, but I didn't want to assume myself into
trouble crossing another runway. I guess I just need to spend more
time at towered fields.

Rich Russell
Old August 11th 04, 01:10 PM
Norfolk and Chance

-----Snip
Should he have
been more clear or should I have assumed that he wanted me to take all
three taxiways because that's what you have to do to get there? I
wouldn't have bothered him except for my paranoid vision of a
potential runway incursion at 31. Thanks.

Rich Russell

It was my understanding that a "taxi to_ _ runway" gives permission to
cross all other runways, except the runway that you have been given
clearance to. Right, or wrong?
--
Jim in NC

Jim,

As I understand it yes, you are cleared to progress to the point specified
via the specified route. In fairness however the controller should have
specified a hold point where the clearance ended..

Andy

Old August 11th 04, 03:24 PM
Effie Andree Wiltens

"Morgans" asked...
It was my understanding that a "taxi to_ _ runway" gives permission to
cross all other runways, except the runway that you have been given
clearance to. Right, or wrong?

Uhm, perhaps I can venture a remark here. When I was flying at KHPN,
where multi-runway use is not uncommon, I was told that it was not
necessary to obtain crossing clearance on the way to the active runway
I was cleared for. I'm used to more stringent runway infringement
rules in other countries, I guess, and since it's no trouble to me I
always stopped short of any runway and asked for clearance to cross at
my position. It's a big busy airport, after all, and it is possible
for some light arircraft popping up from behind the trees not seeing
me in time.
Sometimes ATC was annoyed at having to deal with my "unnecessary
call", but I still think it's a good practice. Better safe than
sorry...

--FE
Old August 11th 04, 04:21 PM
Bill Denton

While hardly as dramatic, what you are describing is the set-up for a
chain-reaction automobile accident: one car suddenly stops, the car behind
crashes into the car ahead, the car behind that crashes into the car ahead,
and so on. Anytime a vehicle in traffic makes an unexpected movement, the
probability of a collision or an impairment of traffic movement goes up
markedly.

When you are taxiing, ground control knows where your are, where you are
going, the assigned route, and roughly how fast you are moving. They know
the same things about the other ground traffic, and they take all of this in
consideration when handling traffic.

You are moving on a taxiway; there is a crossing taxiway ahead of you. There
is another aircraft in motion 1/4 mile down the crossing taxiway and ground
intends to have this aircraft cross your taxiway behind you. If you slow
down or stop it will affect the movement of the other aircraft, which may
well affect the movement of still other aircraft, and so on.

Or there may be inbound heading for the runway you are supposed to cross. If
you stop, it may force another aircraft to go around, or a following
aircraft which is not expecting you to stop may rear-end you.

What might appear, at first glance, to be a safer method may in fact be a
far more dangerous method.

Common sense would tell you to look before crossing a runway or taxiway, but
stopping when not instructed to is not at all helpful...

"Effie Andree Wiltens" wrote in message
om...
"Morgans" asked...

Old August 11th 04, 07:54 PM
Richard Russell

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:05:00 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Richard Russell" wrote in message
.. .
Went to RDG the other day because it had been too long since I went to
a towered field and I needed the radio practice. I was directed to
fly right base to 36 and landed uneventfully.

-----Snip
Should he have
been more clear or should I have assumed that he wanted me to take all
three taxiways because that's what you have to do to get there? I
wouldn't have bothered him except for my paranoid vision of a
potential runway incursion at 31. Thanks.

Rich Russell

It was my understanding that a "taxi to_ _ runway" gives permission to
cross all other runways, except the runway that you have been given
clearance to. Right, or wrong?

That is correct. If the tower had more accurately described my taxi
route I would not have had any hesitation about crossing the
"non-active" runway on the way to 36. In fairness to the tower, they
probably recognize this as the being the best (maybe the only-I don't
have the diagram handy now) route to 36. Had I been a RDG regular,
I'm sure there would be no issue here. As it is, I'm merely a low
time pilot that flies mostly into uncontrolled, single runway fields.
The "problem" here was my comfort level, or lack thereof.
Rich Russell

Old August 11th 04, 09:25 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Norfolk and Chance" wrote in message

As I understand it yes, you are cleared to progress to the point specified
via the specified route. In fairness however the controller should have
specified a hold point where the clearance ended..

That point is whatever immediately follows the word "to" in the taxi
clearance.