air traffic control sim

Old February 14th 05, 10:20 PM
Hyperlink

Default air traffic control sim

Hi guys... even though i'm sure this has been discussed earlier, searchin
google groups produces only confusion )

I'm interested in ATC sims but am not sure which are best. The Net is full
of references to "Tracon" and "Tracon II", but it seems impossible to find
any manual for the game.

I played "Tower" a couple of years ago, really liked it, but would like
something more realistic.

Any links, or names (or a link to a manual for Tracon )) would be greatly
appreciated.

"The other is right, but neither of us is wrong.
The math of morality falters."

Old February 15th 05, 02:52 PM
Joe Morris

"Hyperlink" wrote in message ...

Hi guys... even though i'm sure this has been discussed earlier, searchin
google groups produces only confusion )

I'm interested in ATC sims but am not sure which are best. The Net is full
of references to "Tracon" and "Tracon II", but it seems impossible to find
any manual for the game.

TRACON was produced by Wesson International, whose real business was
designing real-world ATC simulators to the FAA, USAF, and the like. The
company's founder wrote his doctoral disertation on the use of artificial
intelligence in air traffic control.

As a bit of a visual pun, the cover of the manual for TRACON II was
designed to look like FAA Order 7110-65, which is the "bible" for
air traffic controllers.

TRACON (all versions) is a really good simulation. Several years
ago I demonstrated it to the late Pete Campbell (aka one of the
funniest -- and most pragmatic -- managers the FAA ever had). He
was highly impressed. It was also notable in that it was able to
produce highly realistic (and quite understandable) "radio" audio
using only the built-in speaker in a PC: no audio card was required.

(This audio-without-audio-card feature was CPU speed limited: systems
faster than about 30 MHz produced unintelligible speech at warp speed.)

Sadly, the game has, as you note, disappeared. You might find copies
(and I have no idea of the copyright status, or the legality of the
offerings) by googling for "tracon" and "game" to locate servers
offering so-called "abandonware". These servers might include
copies of the manual.

Joe Morris
Old February 15th 05, 03:27 PM
Hyperlink

Joe Morris je osjetio potrebu napisati
Sadly, the game has, as you note, disappeared. You might find copies
(and I have no idea of the copyright status, or the legality of the
offerings) by googling for "tracon" and "game" to locate servers
offering so-called "abandonware". These servers might include
copies of the manual.

Yes, and even the GUI developed for the windows version seems inviting...
but it's hard to actually use it since i dont even know the keyboard
shortcuts for commands to aircraft.

The game is available for download via www.the-underdogs.org or something
like that (google "the underdogs"), but there is no manual. According to
google groups, several posts have been written in this and some other
newsgroups somewhere in the early 90's (geeze... like ages ago )) but were
mostly critisized because "people who dont have the manual dont have the
legal copy".

Old February 16th 05, 03:05 PM
Joe Morris

"Hyperlink" writes:

[...]

H'mmm...digging through some of the old stuff in my office...some
notes about TRACON II say that (assuming that you have the complete
distribution -- originally on three 5-1/4" disks or two 3-1/2" disks)
you can run a demonstration with "post-it" notes to you explaining
what's happening via the command

tracon demo

and online lessons can be displayed by the command

tracon lesson?

for ? = 1,2,3,... (I don't know how many lesson files were provided)

Basic commands:

Aircraft selection: click the icon on the flight strip, or use arrow
keys to select the flight strip and press ENTER, or type in enough of
the tail number (usual ATC format, "12C" for N9912C) to be unique,
followed by whitespace or comma.

Command and parameter (all terminated by ENTER):

right arrow Turn right to... 000 or 00 degrees
left arrow Turn left to... 000 or 00 degrees
up arrow Climb and maintain hundreds of feet
down arrow Descend and maintain hundreds of feet
insert Change speed to knots
Delete Resume normal speed/nav no parameter
home Cleared direct to fix name
end Contact tower or center no parameter
PgDn Hold at fix name
PgUp Say heading and airspeed no parameter

Backspace key works as expected.

So...typing in

12C,uparrow170enter

maps to "November 9912 Charlie, climb and maintain one seven thousand."

Mouse control can be used: double-click the aircraft icon and a context
menu will be displayed.

Joe Morris
Old February 16th 05, 07:10 PM
Gary G

I tried posting an ATC simulator/game that can get very challenging.
It runs on XP. I have fun with it, and it can really make you think.
I've noticed that if you play it for a week, you can really organize this
info better.
However, I can't post it to this newsgroup.

There was a game puclished by www.wowgwep.com, but they dno't have it on
their web site now.

If I coudl find a place to post it, I would.

Another one is at http://www.atcsimulator.com/
or http://compsimgames.about.com/librar..._simulator.htm

Old February 17th 05, 10:11 AM
Hyperlink

Gary G je osjetio potrebu napisati
I tried posting an ATC simulator/game that can get very challenging.
It runs on XP. I have fun with it, and it can really make you think.
I've noticed that if you play it for a week, you can really organize this
info better.
However, I can't post it to this newsgroup.

Could you send it to my mail:

Also... if you have any documentation that comes with it, please include it.
Thnx in advance.

Old February 17th 05, 09:52 PM
Hyperlink

Gary G je osjetio potrebu napisati
I tried, but my email is bounced back.
Sorry.

SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
host gsmtp185.google.com [64.233.185.27]: 552 5.7.0 Illegal Attachment

Hmm... auto-anti-piracy at Gmail? ))

No prob... could you try

luka.lugaric(at)fer.hr? I guess it it's under 10mb it'll go through.

(at=@)

Old August 27th 10, 05:42 AM
Kamran Gill Kamran Gill is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hello ! I am a process of installation of ATC sim, We bought it from Czech Republic the cost is normal and facilities being offered are appropriately good. The company's profile name is M/S Aero Trade
"The other is right, but neither of us is wrong.
The math of morality falters."[/quote]