Some simulated dangerous situations

Old December 15th 16, 07:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peder Lindbom

Default Some simulated dangerous situations

Hello!
I had a close call this summer and decided to try to illustrate a few dangerous situations using Condor. This effort was received with some enthusiasm in our local gliding community.

I would love to hear examples from real life that could be used for more videos. Please give me suggestions!

Final glide:
This one happened when a fellow pilot made an unexpected sharp turn after passing the goal circle. The lesson for me as no 2 is to always put myself in a position in relation to the leading glider that gives me choice in taking evasive manouvers. The big surprise for me was that I didnt expect the situation to deteriorate so quickly by my action to try to evade to the right. The correct action would have been to turn toward the glider that was encroaching my space. By aiming at the stabilizer of the other glider I could have passed behind him.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...nalgliding.mp4

Gliders folowing their own ideas of where the best lift is disregarding the dangers of cutting into each others circles:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...kig_blaasa.mp4

A first person view of the possible consequence of cutting the other glider off:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...nde_svaeng.mp4

Two gliders landing. Glider number three (camera) just for clarity. One taking a big cirquit and the other one at a steeper angle. Number two has no visual contact with the glider under him. Flying into the sun can complicate matters:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...r/Landning.mp4

Counter course: Two gliders head on will not move a lot with regards to each other. Perhaps well known but how does it look and how much time will you have to react. Also they are coming head on on the "wrong" side. What about the righthand rule?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Kontrakurs.mp4

Old December 15th 16, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Julian Rees

At 07:14 15 December 2016, Peder Lindbom wrote:
Hello!
I had a close call this summer and decided to try to illustrate a few
dange=
rous situations using Condor. This effort was received with some
enthusiasm=
in our local gliding community.=20

An interesting and very helpful use of Condor to illustrate some these,
good to see the impact of different decisions (especially the crossing
glider in the final glide illustration which could happen at any
turnpoint.

Another one you might try is two gliders in circuit (in the pattern
depending on where you fly!) on different sides of the field, so one doing
a left hand circuit, the other a right hand circuit to the same
runway/landing area.

When they turn onto base leg they will be head-on to each other but the
tendency is for each pilot to be concentrating most of their attention on
the landing area - especially if it us congested with gliders landed
earlier.

Old December 18th 16, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peder Lindbom

The videos can be found here. Sorry about that.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...RvDrQ1Z8QvGktZ