New Zeland's famous wave photo

Old February 2nd 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Zeland's famous wave photo

A number of years ago during the course of the closing of the old Black
Forest Glider Port, I purchased a signed print of wave clouds over NZ.
This print measures about 20 X40, (acutally it's a bit larger than
that). In the lower left hand corner of the print are what looks like
the words Taieri "Pet." I believe the print may have been hanging in
the old club house at BFGP, but I'm not sure about that. In any case,
does any one know what that first word might be and more importantly,
what it means? I'm guessing it is a name given the cloud by the local
natives. The first two letters of the photographers last name are WH
if that helps.

Billy Hill, (Zulu)

Old February 2nd 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I know the picture ,interesting wave formation ,one of the local pilot x/c
to this monster as it is some distance from the usual x/c routes and
recorded
5000ft per minute climb rates and went to 30000ft plus and estimated the
cloud formations went 15/20,000ft above him.
Taieri refers to the location over the Taieri plains, I don't know when or
where the "pet" originated
gary
NZ
oups.com...

Old February 3rd 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Have a look at this pictures. http://www.patagoniagliding.org.ar/
This place is a soaring paradise.

Pupo Terso

Old February 5th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The photo you're talking about is as you correctly state the 'Taieri
Pet'. Taieri is the name of the river that flows from the former gold
mining area north of Alexandra east and south through the famous Taieri
Gorge finally reaching the Pacific Ocean south of Dunedin. Wave clouds
are almost a daily sight in New Zealand, hence its Maori name of
Aotearoa - Land of the Long White Cloud. Pet is an affectionate name
for the lenticular cloud formation.

The Taieri Pet poster is freely available in New Zealand and has
featured as an illustration in at least one book.

Kernow