WAS: How safe is it, really?

Old November 30th 04, 11:13 PM
June

Default WAS: How safe is it, really?

I really appreciate you all taking the time to express you opinions.
Some very good points were made that I hadn't considered.

So, I will try not to worry so much and not give him any more grief
about his hobby. I'm sure he'd thank you guys for your efforts!

June
Old December 1st 04, 01:26 AM
G.R. Patterson III

June wrote:

So, I will try not to worry so much and not give him any more grief
about his hobby. I'm sure he'd thank you guys for your efforts!

He has a great wife.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old December 1st 04, 03:59 AM
tony roberts

Hi June

I only just found this thread so my comments are a little late.

So, I will try not to worry so much and not give him any more grief
about his hobby. I'm sure he'd thank you guys for your efforts!

I honestly believe that you are making a good decision.

My family did a lot of research into this, prior to me taking my licence
and purchasing a plane.

Here is what we found.

The typical aircraft accident rate is comparable to the typical
motorcycle accident rate.

BUT:
Most light aircraft accidents are caused through continued flight into
IFR (read - don't even attempt to fly there there) weather.

Then we have all of the pilots who fly drunk/doped.

When you remove those from the equation - If you can trust that he CAN
remove those from the equation - and they represent most of the
accidents, what is left is pilot error and mechanical failure.

Pilot error comes down to training/aptitude
Mechanical error is rare - the standards for maintaining aircraft, and
for rebuilding engines, are tough.

So we started out with an accident rate similar to motorcycles,
But we do have a lot of control over a lot of those accidents.

At the end of the day?
A consciencious pilot, who is not taking risks, and is flying a well
maintained aircraft, is very safe.

He's not cast iron - but he is as safe as he can be.

Worth thinking about

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Old December 1st 04, 04:20 AM
Darkwing Duck

"tony roberts" wrote in message
[...]

Another thought I have had. Think about all the hours that your CFI puts in
during the week/month/year when your not around. I have been doing this
flying thing for 2 years and those guys are always there when I show up.
They demonstate emergency engine outs, low altitude manuvering, have
unqualified people at the wheel and deal with distractions all the time and
at the end of the day instructional flying is one of the best safety records
in flying. Good CFI's don't take chances, they understand the aircraft, they
are current as it gets yet they spend a lot of time in the pattern, in the
vicinity of the airport/VOR's and also low level manuvers, all things most
of agree are "risky". It just all comes back to being proficient and smart
and always have an "out".

Just a thought.

Old December 1st 04, 05:01 AM
zatatime

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 03:59:48 GMT, tony roberts
wrote:

BUT:
Most light aircraft accidents are caused through continued flight into
IFR (read - don't even attempt to fly there there) weather.

To be more clear: The accidents of this type are for VFR (good
weather) pilots without training on how to effectively operate an
aircraft in IFR (bad weather) conditions. For June's understanding,
these are people that only have the license your husband got first.
Since he is now working toward his instrument ticket these statistics
are greatly reduced.

Just don't want you to think that the added training he is going for
makes this far more dangerous. It will actually make him safer
overall.

Old December 1st 04, 05:05 AM
Dave Stadt

wrote:

BUT:
Most light aircraft accidents are caused through continued flight into
IFR (read - don't even attempt to fly there there) weather.

To be more clear: The accidents of this type are for VFR (good
weather) pilots without training on how to effectively operate an
aircraft in IFR (bad weather) conditions. For June's understanding,
these are people that only have the license your husband got first.
Since he is now working toward his instrument ticket these statistics
are greatly reduced.

Just don't want you to think that the added training he is going for
makes this far more dangerous. It will actually make him safer
overall.

I don't believe statistically IFR rated pilots have a better safety record.
It is a false assumption.

Old December 1st 04, 05:26 AM
tony roberts

Hi June

Zatatime is right.
Sorry - I didn't mean that ANY pilot flying into IFR is a major risk.
I meant to say that pilots who were not certified IFR, and who are not
flying IFR equipped aircraft , who do fly into IFR are an accident
waiting to happen.

IFR certified pilots flying IFR certified aircraft are safer.

tony

Old December 1st 04, 05:30 AM
Bob Fry

Almost all people need some escape from "reality", men more than
women.

Most men follow sports too intensely, some booze, some chase women,
some do all three.

A few are pilots. With very few exceptions I find being active pilots
aren't chasing girls, boozing, and so on.

So be thankful your hubby wants to take up a relatively clean way to
escape. His risks increase while flying, but I believe risk of other
negative things decrease.

Old December 1st 04, 05:42 AM
Dave Stadt

Hi June

Zatatime is right.
Sorry - I didn't mean that ANY pilot flying into IFR is a major risk.
I meant to say that pilots who were not certified IFR, and who are not
flying IFR equipped aircraft , who do fly into IFR are an accident
waiting to happen.

IFR certified pilots flying IFR certified aircraft are safer.

tony

The leading cause of fatal accidents is maneuvering flight at 30%. The
second leading cause is takeoff and climb at 18%. Third is weather related
at 12%. The Nall report indicates IMC flight has marginally fewer accidents
but those accidents are much more likely to be fatal. There is no
indication IFR pilots flying IFA aircraft are safer.

Old December 1st 04, 05:53 AM
tony roberts

Hi Dave

Could you give me a link to that info?