Nasa Icing courses

Old January 10th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Nasa Icing courses

Get over it, Mr. Duniho......you are all wet! Move on....

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 13:52:59 -0800, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

"Longworth" wrote in message
roups.com...
Pete,
I do not wish to engage in any disputes with you.

That clearly is false.

I use single
quotation mark around the word 'restricted' and not double quotation
mark.

Well, if there were some official specification that prohibited the use of
single quotation marks for quotation here on Usenet, that might make a
difference.

In any case, whether you are literally quoting or simply mischaracterizing
what I wrote, it's "putting words into my mouth".

According to this website

http://www.grammartips.homestead.com...ationmark.html

" single quotation marks for words that are not actual quotations but
that are being set off for some other reason"

Wonderful. When you get that standard to be the official policy on Usenet,
you let me know.

I just simply expressed my opinion that Jim's post is appropriate in
rec.aviation.student group.

No, you did more than that.

Pete

Old January 10th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning

Default Engine Making Metal (Was: Nasa Icing courses)

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
I'll buy that, always best to use specific data rather than
a generic answer. It takes a pretty good eye and tach to
see 5 rpm.

Sure does. And a digital tach may flicker that much. Sometimes it is
called a "barely perceptible rise".

Some say it is easier to observe a rise in MP than such a small RPM rise,
and that is borne out by my observation.
The MP will rise one to two inches, and the MP gauge seems to be more stable
than the tach.

If the mixture is set to spec, it is not necessary to lean for ground ops,
since it is already lean enough to prevent plug fouling. Ground leaning is
effective only if leaned back to the edge of idle cutoff, anyway.

The Lycoming manual doesn't seem to have any tables for adjusting RPM rise
for density altitude. If it is leaned to the 5RPM rise spec at a high
altitude airport, I wonder if it might be too lean at a low-altitude
airport, with no way to enrichen it.

Stan

Old January 10th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning

I flew a demo in a BE 58P Baron into a high altitude
private strip in the Wyoming mountains,

A-A Ranch Airport is an airport in Carbon County,
Wyoming. It has an elevation of 7,880 feet.

With the Continental fuel injection, being the
mechanical constant displacement type, the engines died when
they were set to idle during the landing because they were
too rich and then turbos had spun down. This was a problem
because the runway looked like a ski-jump and I was half way
up the hill. I was able to hold the brakes and get it
started again and manually leaned the mixture to about 1/2
travel on the lever and taxi up the hill to the level ramp
area. Of course you have to keep it full rich in case of a
go-around, so I learned a lesson that was not in the manual,
as soon as touching down, mixture reduce, throttle reduce.
For take-off run up to 2000 RPM then full rich.
I much preferred the Bendix injection because it is
metered by ambient fuel and air pressure, so the mixture is
more stable and self-leaning. I love the PT6 even better.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

--
The people think the Constitution protects their
rights;

"Stan Prevost" wrote in message

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| I'll buy that, always best to use specific data rather
than
| a generic answer. It takes a pretty good eye and tach
| see 5 rpm.
|

| Sure does. And a digital tach may flicker that much.
Sometimes it is
| called a "barely perceptible rise".
|
| Some say it is easier to observe a rise in MP than such a
small RPM rise,
| and that is borne out by my observation.
| The MP will rise one to two inches, and the MP gauge seems
to be more stable
| than the tach.
|
| If the mixture is set to spec, it is not necessary to lean
for ground ops,
| since it is already lean enough to prevent plug fouling.
Ground leaning is
| effective only if leaned back to the edge of idle cutoff,
anyway.

| The Lycoming manual doesn't seem to have any tables for
adjusting RPM rise
| for density altitude. If it is leaned to the 5RPM rise
spec at a high
| altitude airport, I wonder if it might be too lean at a
low-altitude
| airport, with no way to enrichen it.
|
| Stan

Attached Images
File Type: gif 1x1.gif (43 Bytes, 0 views)
Old January 10th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

I think you're thinking of "Ney Nozzles."

http://www.chuckneyent.com/neynozzle.html
Karl
"Curator" N185KG

Old January 10th 06, 12:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning

In rec.aviation.owning Stan Prevost wrote:
: If the mixture is set to spec, it is not necessary to lean for ground ops,
: since it is already lean enough to prevent plug fouling. Ground leaning is
: effective only if leaned back to the edge of idle cutoff, anyway.

: The Lycoming manual doesn't seem to have any tables for adjusting RPM rise
: for density altitude. If it is leaned to the 5RPM rise spec at a high
: altitude airport, I wonder if it might be too lean at a low-altitude
: airport, with no way to enrichen it.

Not to mention seasonal variation. With temperatures in Virginia in the 60s
(!) the past weeks it's difficult to even do it for winter/summer... not to mention
density altitude.

I ground lean mine... typically right on the edge of idle cutoff. It's enough
so that anything over 1200 RPM will cause the engine to stumble. That way it will be
periodically run extra-lean during the taxi and help reduce plug fouling. Can't hurt
the engine with leaning at such low power and it's impossible to runup or takeoff
without enrichening.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old January 10th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Lycoming is starting to offer roller tappets.

Roller tappets however will increase the Herzian compressive stresses
on the cam (and on the roller) when compared to a flat tappet surface.
It isn't necessarily a cure all.

I suspect radial engines use roller tappets because of the
comparatively high velocities between the cam and the tappet.

Old January 11th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

I have always thought that airplane owners would be wise to find a pilot
familiar with their type of aircraft who meets the "open pilot" requirements
of their insurance, and have that pilot fly the airplane for an hour once a
week. Cost to the owner compared to the cost of maintenance should be
minimal. Only hurdle I can think of is some anal FAA guy busting the
volunteer pilot for logging hours (compensation?) with only a private
ticket. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Bob Gardner

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Whenever I see less than 200 hours on an engine in a year, it seems like
there are tales of destruction of an engine to follow.

???

That describes almost every privately owned aircraft at our airport. Only
trainers routinely put on more than 200 hours per year.

Mary and I fly more than anyone at the airport, and we just barely put 200
hours on last year.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 11th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning

With regard to severe leaning on the ground, does hot summertime temps make
a difference? Long taxis or long hold shorts? I made the "lean the sh!t out
of it on the ground" comment at a flying club meeting once, & one of the
guys flipped.

Old January 11th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning

Steven Barnes wrote:

With regard to severe leaning on the ground, does hot summertime temps make
a difference? Long taxis or long hold shorts? I made the "lean the sh!t out
of it on the ground" comment at a flying club meeting once, & one of the
guys flipped.

Leaning during high ground temperatures should not cause excessive cylinder
temperatures since you are taxiing at very low RPMS.

The C172SPs (fuel-injected engines) at my former flight school always
experienced fouled plugs if the students/renters failed to lean for ground
operations.

--
Peter
Old January 11th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

I have always thought that airplane owners would be wise to find a pilot
familiar with their type of aircraft who meets the "open pilot"
requirements of their insurance, and have that pilot fly the airplane for
an hour once a week. Cost to the owner compared to the cost of maintenance
should be minimal. Only hurdle I can think of is some anal FAA guy busting
the volunteer pilot for logging hours (compensation?) with only a private
ticket. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

I'm friends with a CFI in Wisconsin who used to do just that.

For a nominal fee (like, beer or lunch?), he would "exercise" planes each
week. That's how I managed to get time in an Ercoupe, by tagging along.

He built time, and the owners were happy to know that their engines weren't
being trashed by inactivity.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Nasa Icing courses Jim Burns Piloting 96 February 1st 06 04:16 AM
Nasa Icing courses Jim Burns Owning 108 February 1st 06 04:16 AM
ASRS/ASAP reporting systems - how confidential? Tim Epstein Piloting 7 August 4th 05 05:20 PM
NASA Icing Course [email protected] Piloting 3 December 28th 04 05:18 PM
FAA letter on flight into known icing C J Campbell Instrument Flight Rules 78 December 22nd 03 07:44 PM