KNS-80

Old March 9th 04, 11:08 PM
John Harper

One small but very handy thing the 530 DOES do is the
"DME" display. At the bottom left, it tells you the distance and
radial to the currently tuned VOR (you may need a software upgrade
to get this, I believe it was introduced some time in 2002).
This is as good as having a real DME for things which are
somewhat auxiliary to actual navigation, like knowing how far
you are from the center of Class B (invaluable for flying near
SFO for example).

John

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message
s.com...

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...

The 530 has an "arc view" map page that the 430 does not. I find it to

be
the most useful moving map page and use it all the time.

As I said, the 530 is easier to use but does not contain any functionality
that the 430 does not, i.e. there is no approach or other IFR function the
530 does that the 430 cannot do.

Sort of like the difference between an HSI vs. a DG and CDI... the HSI is
easier to use but does not give any additional functionality.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old March 9th 04, 11:09 PM
PaulaJay1

In article m, "Richard
Kaplan" writes:

As I said, the 530 is easier to use but does not contain any functionality
that the 430 does not, i.e. there is no approach or other IFR function the
530 does that the 430 cannot do.

Only difference I know (besides bigger which is good for old eyes) is the 530
gives distance and vector to a selected VOR. The 430 will do this if you
select the VOR as a waypoint but the 530 will do it from the NAV select.

Chuck
Old March 10th 04, 12:06 AM
Richard Kaplan

"PaulaJay1" wrote in message

Only difference I know (besides bigger which is good for old eyes) is the

530
gives distance and vector to a selected VOR. The 430 will do this if you
select the VOR as a waypoint but the 530 will do it from the NAV select.

It certainly is easier to get that information on the 530. Even on the 430
though all you need to do is turn to the Nearest VOR page and you can get
the same information without having to change your waypoint.

An even better solution -- as I mentioned previously -- is to crosslink a
portable Garmin with a 430. A Garmin 430/195 combination is even more
capable than a 530 at a much lower cost.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old March 10th 04, 04:06 PM
Richard Kaplan

wrote in message
to the extent you know how to use it. Something as dirt simple as a

KNS-80 may not do
a whole lot, but it's extremely easy to use. I don't think ILS's have

been replaced
by IFR GPS's quite yet... as much as people want them to.

And even when airplanes have an approach-capable IFR GPS unit, in my
experience a good bit of the time the database is not updated at every
cycle.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old March 11th 04, 09:56 PM
PaulaJay1

In article m, "Richard
Kaplan" writes:

It certainly is easier to get that information on the 530. Even on the 430
though all you need to do is turn to the Nearest VOR page and you can get
the same information without having to change your waypoint.

Thanks for the tip, Richard. I hadn't thought of using that page. However, I
like to keep that group on nearest airport in case I need it for emergency.
Select the first airport and push "direct to" and enter and you are aimed at
the nearest airport. With "VSR" (vertical speed required) as one of the data
field, you will quickly know if you can make it since you know your sink rate
in glide.

Also, I fly in the Cleveland area and generally want to know distance to CLE to
avoid class B. Well, the CLE DME channel doesn't show in the VOR list( at
least not on the simulator), so your solution doesn't work all the time. I
presume that you could set the frequency (109.9) on the 530 and get the
distance.

Anyway, a quick check at my electronics shop gives about $5k to upgrade and the
530 won't fit in one stack with the audio panel and a second radio. So I have
two reasons the be satisfied with the 430. The plane is in the shop now to get
the 330 transponder addition so that is my "money spend" for this year.
Chuck
Old March 12th 04, 06:38 AM
Richard Kaplan

"PaulaJay1" wrote in message
Select the first airport and push "direct to" and enter and you are aimed

at
the nearest airport. With "VSR" (vertical speed required) as one of the

data

Even easier... Hit DIRECT and turn the large knob to the "NRST" field and
hit ENTER.

Also, I fly in the Cleveland area and generally want to know distance to

CLE to
avoid class B. Well, the CLE DME channel doesn't show in the VOR list( at

Why won't it show up? Must be a bug in the sim only.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com