Lycoming's SB569 for Shoppers

Old January 28th 07, 07:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Douglas Paterson

Default Lycoming's SB569 for Shoppers

Another newbie question for the group:

(I feel like this MUST have been discussed here before, but my search came
up empty--if I need to work on my USENET search skills, try to be gentle
with me....)

Can anyone help me decode what's going on with Lycoming's SB 569? It seems
like all the airplanes I'm looking at use Lycoming IO-540 engines, which I
understand are, possibly, subject to that service bulletin. I've read that
the FAA is considering making that an AD, meaning that the crankshaft would
need to be replaced at the next overhaul or other case opening. There's
something like a three-year window in order to get the new shaft at 2AMU,
after which it will go to 16AMU(?). So--if that's a mandatory replacement,
it seems like there'd be a strong economic argument to overhaul before the
window closes, whether it needs it or not.

- Is there any easy way to tell whether a given airplane has an affected
crankshaft? I'm a newbie, inexperienced (to put it politely) with reading
logs. Of course, I would expect that to turn up in any pre-buy, but I'm
thinking along the lines of maybe there are some other factors that would
let me know "there's no way this plane is affected, because _________"--save
a lot of trouble trying to verify that there's no issue.

- Anyone know the status of the AD? Anyone have opinions on what to do w/
the SB if it does NOT become an AD? I see AOPA is opposed to the AD, for
what that's worth....

- While shopping, any suggestions on how to value/devalue a given airplane
based on its status with this?

Thanks!
--
Doug
"Where am I to go/Now that I've gone too far?" -- Golden Earring, "Twilight

Old January 28th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BT

Look up AD 2006-20-09, I believe this may be the latest in a series of ADs
about the crankshaft in referenced (started by) that SB569 (you know there
is a new SB569a).

There is an extensive list of serial numbers that it applies to, you need to
know the serial number in the engine you are looking at to know if the AD
applies. Lycoming had a "bad batch", of cranks produced, it's a metallurgy
thing.
Our older (much older) crank is doing just fine, built previous to this AD,
and keeps on going... and going.. and going.

Good Luck

BT

. ..

Old January 29th 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison

Yeah, pretty much what BT said. If you get a .pdf version of the AD,
you can quickly search for the engine serial number in question. Been
there/done that a couple of times in reference to our IO-360. So far,
no hits! :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Old January 29th 07, 12:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:58:26 -0800, Jack Allison
wrote:

Yeah, pretty much what BT said. If you get a .pdf version of the AD,
you can quickly search for the engine serial number in question. Been
there/done that a couple of times in reference to our IO-360. So far,
no hits! :-)

AAUI, it's only counterweighted crankshafts so unless your engine has
a counterweight you'll likely never see it show up on the list.

I know of 2 182s which got hit with 566 and one turbo 182 which got
hit with 569A.

Lycoming SB569 - how many changing cranks as a precaution? Ross Richardson Owning 0 April 24th 06 06:15 PM
Dodged Lycoming SB569 Jack Allison Owning 0 March 13th 06 01:35 AM
How many Lycomings built? Ben Hallert Home Built 6 January 30th 06 02:50 AM
Airboat Lycoming's Lou Home Built 14 December 11th 05 07:04 PM
Lycoming's views on best economy settings [email protected] Piloting 37 July 8th 04 04:00 PM