faster 182?

Old February 13th 07, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

Default faster 182?

Ask them what the useful load is on that 182S.

It's a 182T

Old February 13th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 13, 4:06 am, "Dan Luke" wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Ask them what the useful load is on that 182S.

1140 lbs.

1140 lbs with the G1000 system?

Our new G1000 182 has
much less useful load than my 76 Mooney,

Eh? A quick web search tells me Mooneys of that vintage have less. What is
your Mooney's useful load?

My Mooney useful load is 1006 lbs. Our 182T's useful load is 900 lbs.
In addition the 182T requires almost 40% more fuel for the same
airtime but probably more like 50% more fuel for the same distance
covered (because the 182T is slower than the Mooney).

-Robert

Old February 13th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Our 182T's useful load is 900 lbs.

Why so low? That's 68 lbs less than my 172RG.

Old February 13th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 13, 1:06 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Our 182T's useful load is 900 lbs.

Why so low? That's 68 lbs less than my 172RG.

Now I'm starting to wonder. We do have some extra equipment (Sat
computer hook up in the back so back seat to surf the web va the XM on
laptop link up), but that stuff shouldn't weigh 200 lbs. I figured the
G1000 LRU's were just heavy.

-Robret

Old February 14th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Milen Lazarov

On 2007-02-13, Robert M. Gary wrote:

Now I'm starting to wonder. We do have some extra equipment (Sat
computer hook up in the back so back seat to surf the web va the XM on
laptop link up), but that stuff shouldn't weigh 200 lbs. I figured the
G1000 LRU's were just heavy.

-Robret

That is a bit wierd, the 182T with G1000 that I rent has 1213 lbs useful load.

-Milen
Old February 19th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Will

On Feb 12, 2:53 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:

What pwr & mixture setting? EGTs?

23" & 2300 rpm, IIRC. The mixture was 25 deg. ROP. Didn't check the EGTs.
I wish I'd looked at the CHTs.

Dan, that EGT value looks quite close to the "red box" value that John
Deakin teaches in his engine management course. Here's a link to his
latest article, which covers (or reviews, actually) the EGT/CHT
relationship. Good stuff here..

http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/194452-1.html

Old February 19th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Will wrote:
On Feb 12, 2:53 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
What pwr & mixture setting? EGTs?

23" & 2300 rpm, IIRC. The mixture was 25 deg. ROP. Didn't check the EGTs.
I wish I'd looked at the CHTs.

Dan, that EGT value looks quite close to the "red box" value that John
Deakin teaches in his engine management course. Here's a link to his
latest article, which covers (or reviews, actually) the EGT/CHT
relationship. Good stuff here..

I believe he said the 23 squared was 65%. If so he is in the red box.
You want to be richer then 100 ROP or leaner than peak EGT.
Old February 21st 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Newps" wrote: Will wrote:
On Feb 12, 2:53 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
What pwr & mixture setting? EGTs?
23" & 2300 rpm, IIRC. The mixture was 25 deg. ROP. Didn't check the
EGTs.
I wish I'd looked at the CHTs.

Dan, that EGT value looks quite close to the "red box" value that John
Deakin teaches in his engine management course. Here's a link to his
latest article, which covers (or reviews, actually) the EGT/CHT
relationship. Good stuff here..

I believe he said the 23 squared was 65%. If so he is in the red box. You
want to be richer then 100 ROP or leaner than peak EGT.

According to the boss of the flight school who was giving me the test flight,
that is the setting achieved by using the Garmin G1000's "lean assist"
feature. Also according to him, that's Cessna's SOP for the airplane.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

faster 182? Dan Luke Piloting 26 February 21st 07 02:40 PM
Jeppesen USB Skybound Faster? Marco Leon Owning 9 September 18th 04 03:49 AM
Looking At RAS Faster B. Iten Soaring 10 April 6th 04 10:21 PM
Why small radius collects ice faster? Andrew Sarangan Instrument Flight Rules 13 March 25th 04 04:38 PM
How much faster w/o slats? [email protected] Home Built 7 February 7th 04 03:47 PM