private plane noise

Old March 15th 04, 02:47 AM
beaudoin

Default private plane noise

Why did you buy near an airport? Or wasn't it there when you bought the
house?

Old March 15th 04, 03:52 AM
MikeM

Art67 wrote:
Every weekend there seems to be more private planes flying around. Last

Get a pilots license and join the fun...

MikeM

Old March 15th 04, 08:53 AM
Walkaway Renouf

Art67 wrote:
Every weekend there seems to be more private planes flying around. Last
Sunday, for example, as i tried to enjoy a quiet afternoon, every 5
minutes or so, a plane would be buzzing outside. The noise is so loud,
even the noise is louder than my TV or stereo. It's like a giant leaf
blower flying over my place every 5 minutes. I have a new roof, double
pane windows, so it's not a problem with my dwelling.
Who can I complain to, or will I have to get use to ear plugs in my ears.

--== DON'T FEED THE TROLLS ==--
Old March 15th 04, 09:05 AM
David Cartwright

"Art67" wrote in message
Every weekend there seems to be more private planes flying around. Last
Sunday, for example, as i tried to enjoy a quiet afternoon, every 5
minutes or so, a plane would be buzzing outside. The noise is so loud,
even the noise is louder than my TV or stereo. It's like a giant leaf
blower flying over my place every 5 minutes. I have a new roof, double
pane windows, so it's not a problem with my dwelling.
Who can I complain to, or will I have to get use to ear plugs in my ears.

I suspect other respondents will take the "damned NIMBYs" line, so I'll try
a more reasoned response :-)

The usual starting place is your local authority, though you could try
calling the local airport. If they're to investigate the matter sensibly,
you'll need to provide them with the registration markings of the aircraft
that are disturbing you (and if they're close enough to be a real nuisance,
they'll be close enough for you to read the registration letters).

To be honest, though, it strikes me as odd that you're finding private
aircraft disturbing to this extent. I live directly under the southern
circuit path (left-hand circuits on RW27, right-hand on RW09) of Norwich
Airport, and so I get a fair number of light aircraft pottering overhead at
1,000 feet (the standard height for circuits at Norwich). The noise is
certainly not louder than the TV, even with the windows open, and even if
you're sitting in the garden in the summer with a beer and a butty, you can
happily carry on a conversation. (In fact when I was a student I used to
live in what used to be the airmen's residences, which are physically
attached to the airport!).

Sounds like something's a bit amiss at your place. Perhaps the circuit
height is a bit lower, or you're unfortunate enough to be in line with the
runway centreline and you're getting the aircraft landing or taking off. If
the latter, have a word with the airport about their noise abatement
procedures. Where there are residential areas in line with the runway, many
airfields (e.g. Old Buckenham, just down the road from here) dictate that
pilots should adopt a climb-out heading that avoids civilisation, partly for
noise abatement and partly for safety (if you're heading away from the
houses, you stand a better chance of finding somewhere to dump it should
your engine quit). Although the same is rarely true for landing aircraft
(landing's tricky enough for the average pilot without making them do wonky
approaches) one finds that the disturbance is less because they've got the
throttle back to half-power or less during the approach.

But I would urge you to talk to the airport, and even go see the manager,
because nine times out of ten something can be done as a result of reasoned
discussion. It may, after all, be that some pilots are flying lower than
they should, in which case the airport can take steps to warn the
offenders - or it may be that the airport could consider adding some noise
abatement recommendations. Also bear in mind that the airport authorities
will listen more intently if a number of people go to them than if it's just
one lonesome person - but if a number of you have a problem, make sure you
act reasonably and don't just head off on a rant, as that'll do nobody any
good.

Hope this helps,

D.

Old March 15th 04, 09:08 AM
David Cartwright

"beaudoin" wrote in message
Why did you buy near an airport? Or wasn't it there when you bought the
house?

I have to admit to feeling little sympathy to people who bought houses in
the new development that's not far from my local airport, but there is one
guy I do feel a little sorry for. There's an ageing farmhouse right on the
centreline of the main runway, which was almost certainly there before the
airport and which, being a farmhouse, may well have been handed down through
the generations (so the "why did you buy" question doesn't apply). I think
of the owner every time I go over it at 500 feet on finals ...

D.

Old March 15th 04, 12:38 PM
Bob Noel

In article , "David Cartwright"
wrote:

I suspect other respondents will take the "damned NIMBYs" line, so I'll
try
a more reasoned response :-)

Why do you think that the "damned NIMBYs" line is unreasonable?

--
Bob Noel
Old March 15th 04, 06:33 PM
Bob Fry

"David Cartwright" writes:

I think
of the owner every time I go over it at 500 feet on finals ...

Final isn't so bad. It's when the wind shifts and you're departing
over the guy...
Old March 15th 04, 07:22 PM
Tarver Engineering

wrote:

I suspect other respondents will take the "damned NIMBYs" line, so I'll

try
a more reasoned response :-)

Why do you think that the "damned NIMBYs" line is unreasonable?

The noise issue is one of those issues that can win in civil court without
being subjected to an FAA challenge. It might not be fair, but it is true.

Old March 15th 04, 08:32 PM
David Cartwright

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
Why do you think that the "damned NIMBYs" line is unreasonable?

Because in this type of discussion one often finds responses of the form
"Oh, stop whining, if you don't like the noise you shouldn't have bought a
house near the airport". I hope that my response was reasonably balanced.

D.

Old March 16th 04, 02:38 AM
Micbloo

Art67 wrote:
Every weekend there seems to be more private planes flying around. Last
Sunday, for example, as i tried to enjoy a quiet afternoon, every 5
minutes or so, a plane would be buzzing outside. The noise is so loud,
even the noise is louder than my TV or stereo.

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS

LOL, sounds like a candidate for the
alt.activism.noise.pollution Newsgroup.
Or as a buddy for Bill Mulcahy.