Got to land a King Air 90 today...

Old February 28th 04, 02:49 PM
Jack Davis

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 03:41:11 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

And I'm still giggling, probably from sleep deprivation. Here's how it
happened

snip

Great story, Jay. Thanks!

-J

Jack Davis
B-737

Old February 28th 04, 02:52 PM
Teacherjh

I'm still trying to figure out why TECHNICALLY you are permitted to
manipulate the controls during a for-pay charter flight, even if the flight
is under Part 91.

You're not manipulating the controls. You are an organic autopilot.

Jose

Old February 28th 04, 02:55 PM
Jay Honeck

Maybe I can talk the boss into a trip out there and you can get some
JetProp
time.

What's a JetProp? I'm up for it, whatever it is!

Do you have a Skyraider room? If so, he definitely WILL come out.

Well, that will depend on our decision regarding the Viet Nam era. I
suspect it will be called the "Phantom Suite" just because of the double
meaning of the word.

This is an important distinction for us. You and I know the "Memphis Belle"
suite is about a bomber, but most of our guests think it's decorated in an
English Country style, and sounds pretty.

"Skyraider" will probably be discarded for the same reason "Hellcat" was --
we just don't want that kind of name associated with the hotel, since the
uninformed (who make up the majority of our guests) will misinterpret the
meaning. (Heck, I even had the "Hellcat Suite" door plaque made before we
decided against *that* one...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 28th 04, 03:09 PM
Jay Honeck

You're not manipulating the controls. You are an organic autopilot.

Well, I guess I've been called worse things...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 28th 04, 04:41 PM
Big John

C.J.

Jay only handled the controls during the repositioning portion of
flight. No passengers/customers were aboard during this time.

Is the C90 rated for single pilot? If so, anyone pilot desires can
occupy the right seat even a passenger or customer.

Am I correct and will this make someone sleep better )

Big John

For what's it's worth. I used to let none rated fly both Heavy Iron
and GA. Even got my Flight Surgeon proficient enough he could have
landed the T-33 if I had had a heart attack. Sure made my annual
physical easier G

Welcome aboard Jay.

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:42:11 -0800, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
How does it feel to have turbine time in your logbook?

Well, TECHNICALLY, not being multi-engine rated, I suppose I can't

legally
log the time.

And TECHNICALLY, Ron's not a CFI, so I guess I can't legally can't log

the
time.

You can log whatever you want. You just can't use the time toward some

FAA
requirement. Make sure it's noted/excluded somehow, and otherwise put it

in
the log book however you want.

But you know what? I'm not building hours for anything or anyone. I'm
gonna write 'em in the book anyway! :-)

I'm still trying to figure out why TECHNICALLY you are permitted to
manipulate the controls during a for-pay charter flight, even if the

flight
is under Part 91.

I suspect you broke an FAR somewhere, but I admit that I don't know where
that FAR might be. Not in Part 91, I know that.

If the flight is part 91 then it is subject to part 91 rules, none of which
would forbid even a non-pilot from operating the controls.

The flight is not really a charter. A doctor donates the use of his airplane
and pilot to fly a mission for a related party. Hardly unusual and certainly
well within the limits of part 91. Now, whether the flight violated school
sports recruiting standards might be another matter. :-)

Old February 28th 04, 05:12 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

If I had to choose between having the stripper on board, with me as a
passenger -- or me on board, acting as co-pilot in the right seat -- I'd
choose the right seat.

You don't usually get to handle the controls with a stripper. :-(

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.
Old February 28th 04, 05:18 PM
C J Campbell

"Big John" wrote in message
C.J.

Jay only handled the controls during the repositioning portion of
flight. No passengers/customers were aboard during this time.

Is the C90 rated for single pilot? If so, anyone pilot desires can
occupy the right seat even a passenger or customer.

Am I correct and will this make someone sleep better )

Big John

For what's it's worth. I used to let none rated fly both Heavy Iron
and GA. Even got my Flight Surgeon proficient enough he could have
landed the T-33 if I had had a heart attack. Sure made my annual
physical easier G

Welcome aboard Jay.

The C90 is rated for single pilot. In fact, it requires no type rating at
all. It is fairly easy to fly, but I still have to think that flying a
multi-engine turboprop single pilot IFR has to be one of the most exhausting
jobs in aviation.

FTR, I was not the one worried about Jay handling the controls. I suspect
his biggest problem was a tendency to taxi too fast. Everyone does that
first time out in a King Air.

Old February 28th 04, 05:30 PM
Mike Rapoport

Or its not true.

It doesn't cost anywhere near $900/hr to operate a KA90 unless you are
flying 50hrs/yr. If you look around you will see that almost nobody is
even asking $900/hr for charter work and presumably they intend to make a
profit. It would be cheaper to charter a Citation than a KA90 if the KA90
was $900hr.

Mike
MU-2

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Great story! If a KA90 costs $900/hr to operate, I wonder how these

guys
are chartering one for $775?
http://www.fargojet.com/charter_kingair-c90.htm

Must not be paying their pilots as well?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 28th 04, 05:52 PM
Mike Rapoport

So if I fly my MU-2 for 15 minutes a year, is it accurate to say that it
"costs $100,000/hr to operate a MU-2"? I suppose that if the KA90 is flown
under 100hrs per year and is financed with expensive money, then one might
come up with $900/hr. My point is that it is not really an accurate
statement to say the a KA90 costs $900/hr to operate. It might be accurate
to say: "because of my low utilization, it costs $900/hr for me to operate
my KA90, if I had average utilization my cost would be about $500/hr"

My own approach is to split "ownership costs" from "operating costs". Fixed
costs are "ownership costs" and I compare them to the long term (annual or
longer) benefit of owning an airplane. Fuel and maitenance are "operating
cost" that are used to assess whether it makes sense to make a particular
flight. Since I am only flying about 150hrs/yr, fixed costs are a large
percentage of the total but they are "sunk cost" and don't have any
relevence on whether to make a flight or not.

Mike
MU-2

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...
Great story! If a KA90 costs $900/hr to operate, I wonder how these

guys
are chartering one for $775?
http://www.fargojet.com/charter_kingair-c90.htm

It depends on the age of the plane and how you amortize the cost. Actual
operating cost of a King Air C90 is about $1/mile, or less than $300/hour.
If your King Air does not fly much, you have to spread fixed costs like
insurance, annual inspections, and interest over fewer hours, meaning a
higher cost per hour. So the cost per hour for a charter company may well

be
lower than that of a less frequently used corporate plane.

Old February 28th 04, 05:59 PM
Mike Rapoport

I doubt that they are taking a loss on their *asking* price, particularly
since the standard *asking* price of a chartered C90 seems to be $775-$850.
The Jetprop 1000 is more comperable to a B200 than a C90. Remember they
were only paying one pilot (and maybe not even him) too!

Mike
MU-2

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...
Great story! If a KA90 costs $900/hr to operate, I wonder how these

guys
are chartering one for $775?
http://www.fargojet.com/charter_kingair-c90.htm

Where do you see $900 in there. What I see is the PRICE of $775 (meaning
they'd take a loss of $125 an hour).

My numbers how a direct hourly cost of $558 for a C90. Hell, our company
JetProp1000 costs about $625 (direct $$).