Confession...

Old March 25th 04, 05:56 AM
Greg Burkhart

Default Confession...

Forgive me fellow fliers for I have sinned. It had been over 6 months since
I have flown...

I finally got a chance for a short flight yesterday! My first flight
since last September. That flight was to flight breakfasts in northern Iowa
and southern Minnesota. I kept my Ercoupe hangared in Sleepy Eye, MN (Y58)
about 30 miles north of where I live. I started a new job in Fairmont (FRM)
about 30 miles south. This put a big crimp in my flying during the week as
it would be late by the time I drove from Fairmont to Sleepy Eye to just fly
around the patch for a bit. Winter came on and didn't make it any better and
I was usually busy (or crappy weather) on the weekends. A hangar opened up
here in St James (JYG) back in November. I ended up paying hangar rent for
two places for a few months until I finally got it moved out of Sleepy Eye
yesterday.

Yesterday worked out great. My cousin Verlus in Fairmont has a C-150 and
his son Jason from Spencer has a Tri-Pacer. The 3 of us were at the Fairmont
airport yesterday afternoon and I talked them into taking me up to Sleepy
Eye to get my plane moved. We hopped in the Tri-Pacer and headed to Y58. We
pulled my Ercoupe out of the hangar and I did a thorough pre-flight and I
had plenty of fuel to go the 25 (air) miles to JYG. I pulled on the starter
and the engine started, then stopped. Primed some more and it started fine
but ran a bit rough for the first few seconds then ran good. Surprised me
since the plane had been sitting in a Minnesota hangar all winter. Since I'm
not current to carry passengers, I had Jason (a CFI) fly with me in case I
had forgot how to land in the past 6 months. I took off first and Verlus
followed in the Tri-Pacer. He passed us and was already turning off the
runway at JYG when I called 5 miles out. We put my Ercoupe into its new
hangar and headed back to Fairmont.

Even though it was a short flight, it's still flying! The weather was
decent and my landing was about what I usually do so I didn't do too bad for
not flying for over 6 months. Now that my plane is closer to home, I expect
to get more flying in and try to make up for those 6 months. I need a couple
more landings then I'll be current again. I'm planning on going to a chili
feed fly-in at Fort Dodge (FOD) on April 3rd and a fly-in breakfast at
Webster City (EBS) on April 4th.

--
Greg Burkhart

Old March 25th 04, 03:20 PM
Jay Honeck

Forgive me fellow fliers for I have sinned. It had been over 6 months
since
I have flown...

You are forgiven, my son.

For your penance, you must say 3 Hail Marys, 4 Our Fathers, and complete 6
circuits around the pattern without giggling.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 25th 04, 03:33 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Forgive me fellow fliers for I have sinned. It had been over 6 months

since
I have flown...

You are forgiven, my son.

For your penance, you must say 3 Hail Marys, 4 Our Fathers, and complete 6
circuits around the pattern without giggling.

;-)

Now go and sin no more!!

Old March 25th 04, 09:40 PM
O-Usagi

Wow, someone from my home town, Iowa City!

I wonder if Larry Kleinmeyer(my first instructor) is still teaching, and if
Jen is still working there.

I remember my first solo there.... I was on short final, rwy 30, when a
smart-ass King Air decided to sneak-in and take off before me, when I had
already announced a touch-and-go. I made a novice mistake and followed that
king air in to a wicked wake turbulence, flipping over around 90 degrees
left and right within less than a second, probably only about100ft over
Wallmart...

Yessirree... I learned my wake turbulence alright. Since that day, my first
solo, WT was on my mind on every single landings and take-offs ever since.

Greetings from Salt Lake City!

Roger Chung (a proud graduate of West High and U of Iowa)

Old March 26th 04, 12:33 AM
Jay Honeck

Hi Roger!

And Iowa City Update:

Larry is no longer actively instructing -- although he keeps his CFI ticket
fresh. I'll be going up with him for my biennial, if I can get ahold of
him.

Jen no longer works at the airport, either. She was always a breath of
fresh air, but had a falling out with the current management.

Dumb-ass King Airs are still a problem here once in a while. Having flown
one recently -- and discovered that they cost $15 bucks a MINUTE to
operate -- I now have a new understanding for their incredible impatience
(rudeness?) in the pattern.

Whatcha doing in Utah?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

k.net...

Old March 26th 04, 04:16 AM
Greg Burkhart

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message
Forgive me fellow fliers for I have sinned. It had been over 6 months

since
I have flown...

You are forgiven, my son.

For your penance, you must say 3 Hail Marys, 4 Our Fathers, and complete

6
circuits around the pattern without giggling.

;-)

Now go and sin no more!!

I will when the weather gets better! I guess I picked the right day to do
the flight. It has been low vis since... :-(

OT: The cover of April's AOPA magazine shows a 'local' plane. N91RA is now
owned by a guy I've met from East Chain, MN...

Old March 26th 04, 05:39 AM
O-Usagi

Howdy, Jay!

Well, I came here to fly Beech 99 for AmeriFlight, but now I even put that
aside because I need to work and pay the bills.

After Larry got me hooked in flying, I went down to Orlando and attended
ATA(Airline Training Academy), where I got my Multi-Engine Commercial, IFR,
but the school went bankrupt and I lost some money (well actually lots...
but compared to some new students who lost up to $80,000 when they took the
money and closed the door on us, my loss seems nothing compared to theirs).
The only reason I went there in the first place was because they guaranteed
an airline interview. Well, obviously that didn't happen, and I decided to
do some turbine time building at AmeriFlight...... so here I am.

Who is operating King Airs there now? Would they let me fly the right seat
for free? ( yeah, right... but it costs me nothing to ask. I will work for
free as long as I can log in some time ;-) )

Please say hello to Larry for me when you see him next time.

Roger Chung

Old March 26th 04, 10:52 AM
Kees Mies

"Greg Burkhart" wrote in message news:%vu8c.3322$w54.43810@attbi_s01...
[...]

Hi Greg,

I know the feeling, didn't fly for two months. It really itches.
Next monday or tuesday I'm going to get my plane back.

Happy flying,
Kees.
Old March 26th 04, 12:44 PM
Jay Honeck

Ouch. That ATA story is really a drag. How many people did they fleece
when they went belly up?

Who is operating King Airs there now? Would they let me fly the right seat
for free? ( yeah, right... but it costs me nothing to ask. I will work for
free as long as I can log in some time ;-) )

Jet Air (their home office is in Galesburg, IL), is the primary charter now,
since they run the FBO.

I only got to fly right seat because I'm friends with the head cheese. (It
didn't hurt that I promised to buy him a good steak dinner in Omaha,
either.)

;-)

I'll say "hi" to Larry for ya!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

nk.net...

Old March 26th 04, 05:46 PM
O-Usagi

Ouch. That ATA story is really a drag. How many people did they fleece
when they went belly up?

Over 15 million dollars of about 200 or so student pilots were robbed. In
extreme cases, a new group of students arrived in Orlando after pre-paying
up to $80,000 each, which includes for all the training from the beginning
to commercial and beyond to multi time-building and professional training
and airline interview, plus apartment room for however many months, which
not a cent of that was relayed to the apartment where they were supposed to
stay.

http://www.redtrainer.org

I was almost done actually,... I just didn't get CL65 sim training plus an
interview with an airline.

I only got to fly right seat because I'm friends with the head cheese. (It
didn't hurt that I promised to buy him a good steak dinner in Omaha,
either.)

Hmm... I was in Iowa City just last week, visiting my parents. I should have
stopped by at the airport and drop off my resume.

Would love to check out your N56993 too. ... I might have seen it there
before. I belive my old trainer N1564X is gone to Cedar Rapids.