Ham radio integrated into the comm configuration

Old May 2nd 05, 02:09 AM

Default Ham radio integrated into the comm configuration

Want to combine my hobbies as I acquire a C-172 - has anyone mounted a
ham radio in their bird and wired it through the comm panel?

Problems?

Successes?

Don

Old May 2nd 05, 03:35 AM
Mike W.

Would that be legal, with the FCC? That's an awfully tall antenna mast!

--
Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict....

oups.com...

Old May 2nd 05, 04:07 AM

Mike W. wrote:
Would that be legal, with the FCC? That's an awfully tall antenna mast!

The FCC doesn't care, it is the FAA hoops that are a pain in the ass.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old May 2nd 05, 04:09 AM
George Patterson

Mike W. wrote:
That's an awfully tall antenna mast!

Aircraft that used these frequencies usually streamed a wire antenna behind the
plane.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old May 2nd 05, 04:23 AM

George Patterson wrote:
Mike W. wrote:
That's an awfully tall antenna mast!

Aircraft that used these frequencies usually streamed a wire antenna behind the
plane.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.

The ham bands go to 250 GHz; how long would that wire be?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old May 2nd 05, 04:24 AM
Javier Henderson

" writes:

Want to combine my hobbies as I acquire a C-172 - has anyone mounted a
ham radio in their bird and wired it through the comm panel?

Yes, installed it myself, signed off by my A&P, who is a frequent
contributor to this group. I wired it as COM3 on my audio panel (a
King KMA28), works great. I installed an Icom IC207H, which covers
both 2m and 70cm, and I use a Comant commercial VHF antenna for 2m (it
covers 136 MHz to 174 MHz), and an aviation radiotelephone antenna for
70cm (it covers 450 MHz to 500 MHz, as I recall). Both are available
from the usual suspects (I got mine at Chief Aircraft, I think).

Problems?

None.

Successes?

Many. From 8500', the range with 50W is amazing.

-jav, w6vms
Old May 2nd 05, 04:47 AM

You can do this easily with the little plug in antenna adapter that
King makes.

(It's just a 3 circuit phone jack, actually)

Even tho a com antenna is a pretty bad mismatch on 2m, you can kerchunk
at least a hundred repeaters at a whack from 10K feet over Indiana.

Bill Hale K0QA

Old May 2nd 05, 05:13 AM

George Patterson wrote:
wrote:

The ham bands go to 250 GHz; how long would that wire be?

You might check with John Price -- he has one of the old L planes and is trying
to get the radio gear working. He says he can use it as a ham operator. IIRC
from "Fate is the Hunter", the antennae used there were about 250' long. John's
site is
http://home.att.net/~jm.price .

That's a 1/2 wave at the lowest ham band which starts at 1.8 MHz.

The majority of airborn ham HF operations run between 14 MHz to 30 MHz,
i.e. the 20 to 10 meter bands, where the antennas are a bit more reasonable.

A slightly loaded ADF antenna works just fine at those frequencies.

In the olden days, there were motorized reels to deploy long wire
antennas during cruise and reel them back in before landing.

Actually, not so olden, as I remember seeing them on 727s that were
HF equiped in the early 80s.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old May 2nd 05, 02:37 PM
Newps

The ham bands go to 250 GHz; how long would that wire be?

About an inch.