Spark Plugs: Champion vs. Unison

Old May 6th 05, 12:14 AM
Jonathan Goodish

Default Spark Plugs: Champion vs. Unison

I've Googled for this and poked around other places, but there doesn't
seem to be much comparison data on these two products.

I've always used Champion plugs (massive electrode), but now that my
plugs are fairly worn and I'm in the market again, I'm curious about
opinions on the Unison Autolite plugs. They are $5 cheaper per plug. I
will pay the extra $5 per plug if the Champions are better plugs, but I
have no personal experience with the Autolites.

Any advice?

Thanks,
JKG
Old May 6th 05, 12:19 AM
Dave Stadt

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message
I've Googled for this and poked around other places, but there doesn't
seem to be much comparison data on these two products.

I've always used Champion plugs (massive electrode), but now that my
plugs are fairly worn and I'm in the market again, I'm curious about
opinions on the Unison Autolite plugs. They are $5 cheaper per plug. I
will pay the extra $5 per plug if the Champions are better plugs, but I
have no personal experience with the Autolites.

Any advice?

Thanks,
JKG

I have used both and can tell no difference.

Old May 6th 05, 12:31 AM
Michael

A friend of mine switched to Autolites on his Mooney. He then
discovered that the deep socket he used on his Champions wasn't quite
deep enough for the Autolites. Had to get a new socket, specialty
item, wiping out much of the savings.

In terms of how they work - no discernible difference.

Michael

Old May 6th 05, 12:38 AM
Dave Stadt

"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...
A friend of mine switched to Autolites on his Mooney. He then
discovered that the deep socket he used on his Champions wasn't quite
deep enough for the Autolites. Had to get a new socket, specialty
item, wiping out much of the savings.

In terms of how they work - no discernible difference.

Michael

My deep socket works on both brands. It is an off the shelf socket from the
local farm store that cost at most $7.00.

Old May 6th 05, 01:53 AM
iflyatiger

I used to use the champions on my tiger for a number of years and also
bought and used a few sets of champions brand new. Always had problems with
fouling. Last time I bought plugs I went with Autolites and so far after at
least 75 hours and at least a year and a half they haven't fouled once ...

Jon

Old May 6th 05, 04:03 AM
John Clonts

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message ...

"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...
A friend of mine switched to Autolites on his Mooney. He then
discovered that the deep socket he used on his Champions wasn't quite
deep enough for the Autolites. Had to get a new socket, specialty
item, wiping out much of the savings.

In terms of how they work - no discernible difference.

Michael

My deep socket works on both brands. It is an off the shelf socket from the
local farm store that cost at most $7.00.

Yeah, I needed a spark plug socket immediately one night and couldn't find it in the socket section of the auto
parts store-- but further down the isle I found an "Oxygen Sensor Socket"! It's 7/8, extra deep, and has a
slot up the side that allows you to easily use it on the "cable cap nut" too...
--
Cheers,
John Clonts

Old May 6th 05, 03:10 PM

When Auburn plugs were available we used to use them
exclusively. They lasted much longer than the Champs. Then Champion
bought them up and shut them down. We'd formerly had a lot of trouble
with Champions failing the testing at 50 or 100 hours, and it seemed to
be the spring-loaded internal resistor that somehow lost its contact,
even though I could see nothing wrong with it in any plug that wouldn't
spark. I'd even had Champions failing right out of the box.
We started using the Unisons when they came out. They had the
same monolithic (molded-in) resistor the Auburns had used, and worked
well. In the last year we've had trouble with them misfiring, and on
the test stand they will arc in the cigarette barrel; the spark would
rather jump from the contact button to the shell rather than across the
gap at 120 psi. I think it's another resistor problem.
Misfiring plugs aren't always readily apparent. You might feel
the slightest bit of roughness, usually in climb or leaned cruise, and
if the mags aren't timed exactly together. As the earlier plug fires
and the cylinder pressures start to rise, the other can't or won't fire
and you have a slower burn in that cylinder. Switching from BOTH to
LEFT or RIGHT won't detect anything.
We're using both Champs and Unisons right now to see what the
eventual outcome might be.

Dan

Unison spark plugs Ed Sullivan Home Built 3 April 21st 05 02:10 PM
Owner Change/rotate spark plugs? Victor J. Osborne, Jr. Owning 34 February 25th 05 08:19 PM
Bougies blindées BG à vendre/BG spark plugs for sale stef General Aviation 0 May 14th 04 04:57 PM
Color of spark plugs john smith Owning 5 March 2nd 04 04:08 AM
Spark plugs for ASH26E Ludovic Launer Soaring 4 February 3rd 04 08:56 PM