New Queer? for the fleet, EF-18G

Old January 1st 04, 07:23 PM
John R Weiss

"Pechs1" wrote...

In VF-151, Fox " have ya seen my moovie' Farrell hung a buddy store on the CL
of our F-4 with wing tanks, and then refueled another F-4, got a pic of it but
can't find it.

The give was just about nuthin but we did for a airshow.

Ah, the things we used to be able to do for fun on the ol' Mudway...

I also seem to remember a LONG string of alleged "100% FMC" reports from VF-161
(IIRC)...

Old January 1st 04, 09:00 PM
sid

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message thlink.net...
Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal wrote:

What's the replacement for the S-3? CSA got cancelled years ago.

For ASW, MH-60Rs and prayer, mainly. For everything else, land-based air
and the Super Bug.

Don't tell Fred McCall that carriers will be beholden to land based
air. If you do you will join the legions that have been Plonked By
Fred
Old January 2nd 04, 12:17 PM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 1/1/04 9:03 AM, in article
.net, "Thomas Schoene"
wrote:

Pechs1 wrote:

Too bad. Altho I am not a VS guy, there are butt loads of Chinese 'U
boats' that will be an 'issue' in the future, IMO. Do the Blackhawks
onboard the CVs have a antisub mission?

Seahawks, not Blackhawks, and yes, ASW is the main job for the SH-60F (well,
when they're not doing VERTREP or Plane Guard). But there are only four or
six per carrier.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

I know that it's probably been explained here before, but...

Somebody wanna go over the realignment of the HS and HSL communities? That
is, conversion of SH-60B and HH-60H to SH-60S and R's and what each helo's
mission will be?

--Woody

Old January 2nd 04, 02:19 PM
Thomas Schoene

Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal wrote:

Somebody wanna go over the realignment of the HS and HSL
communities? That is, conversion of SH-60B and HH-60H
to SH-60S and R's and what each helo's mission will be?

Sure.

Hardware first. The plan is to reduce the four current types of battlegroup
helos -- SH-60B in the escorts, SH-60F and HH-60H on the carriers, and
CH-46s in the logistics ships -- to two types -- the MH-60R (formerly
SH-60R) and the MH-60S (formerly CH-60S).

The MH-60R will replace both types of SH-60; it will do ASW, SUW, and
VERTREP. It's basically an improved LAMPS-type helo with dipping sonar so it
can operate around the carrier as well as in the screen.

The MH-60S will replace the HH-60H and CH-46; it will do VERTREP, SUW,
SAR/CSAR, and SOF support. The MH-60S is also supposed to be taking over
the AMCM and VOD missions from the MH-53, but they seem to be backing away
from that a bit in the last few months. (Yes, the MH-60S does look way
over-tasked to me, even without AMCM to deal with.)

All of these helos will be new builds. Plans to convert old H-60s (B, F and
H) to MH-60Rs were dropped a couple of years ago when this turned out to be
more expensive in terms of lifecycle costing than just buying new helos.
The MH-60S has always been new construction, since it's got a larger
interior and different structure than the existing Seahawks.

Now the community re-organization. I understand that the plan is for each
battlegroup to have two helo squadrons -- one HSM (formerly HS or HSL) and
one HSC (formerly HC). The HSM squadron will operate MH-60Rs; it will be
reponsible for ASW helos on both the carrier and the escorts. The HSC
squadron will operate the MH-60Ss; again reponsible for helos on both the
carrier and the supporting logistics ships.

There will also be a few HSMs and HSCs operating more like the current HSLs,
sending out "expeditionary" detachments with the smaller surface groups.

The realignment is discussed in this Sea Power article. I'm slightly
skeptical about their breakout of the squadron designations, but the rest
looks the same as I remember from Proceedings.

http://www.navyleague.org/sea_power/nov_03_33.php

Old January 2nd 04, 03:27 PM
Mike Kanze

Ah, the things we used to be able to do for fun on the ol' Mudway...

MIDWAY departed the Port of Oakland under tow on New Year's Eve, bound for
San Diego to complete her conversion to a museum ship. She had been
undergoing some heavy refurbishment at a local yard to prepare her for her
new life.

--
Mike Kanze

" . . . Greed powers the capitalist impulse as gasoline powers the
combustion engine, and, like gasoline, has noxious properties that must be
monitored."

- Julia Homer, Editor-in-Chief - CFO Magazine, December 2003