POW Jeffery Zaun

Old May 20th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default POW Jeffery Zaun

Was he a B/N or a pilot?
Old May 20th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Schlomo Lipchitz wrote:
Was he a B/N or a pilot?

B/N:

http://www.newhousenews.com/archive/benson102303.html

http://www.pownetwork.org/gulf/zd020.htm

I never saw an A6E with a back seat, though.

Rick

Old May 20th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

I never saw an A6E with a back seat, though.

The "stretch" version is otherwise referred to as the EA-6B. g

--
Mike Kanze (tongue firmly in cheek)

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."

-- General William Tecumseh Sherman

Old May 21st 06, 07:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

"Thomas A. Hoffer" wrote in
:

In the A-6E (as in all models) the B/N sat to the right and slightly
below the pilot.

In the EA-6B there are two additional NFO's sitting behind the pilot and
1st NFO in the front seats.

"Mike Kanze" wrote in message
. ..
I never saw an A6E with a back seat, though.

The "stretch" version is otherwise referred to as the EA-6B. g

--
Mike Kanze (tongue firmly in cheek)

RTFM. Note the last line of Mike's post, just above this one. I, and most of
the rest of us, are aware of Mike's knowledge of the A-6, in all its
iterations.

Dave in San Diego
Old May 24th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

I didn't think he was good looking enough to be a pilot!
Old May 24th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Waivers.

Old May 25th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

I didn't think he was good looking enough to be a pilot!

Zaun was a B/N, not a pilot. He and his pilot became Iraqi POWs during Desert Storm after their A-6E was bagged by a Roland SAM during the night of 1/18/91.

Since a B/N's face was stuck in the scope hood most of the time, it didn't matter what you looked like. As long as the pilot followed steering and cleared the banana from below the annunciator panel after each good hit, all was fine in B/N-land .

And, generally speaking, good looks are not necessary for night operations of any sort, both official and recreational.

"As in the dark all cats are grey...," Ben Franklin once said. g

--
Mike Kanze

"The real accomplishment of 'The Da Vinci Code' is that Dan Brown has proven that the theory of conspiracy theories is totally elastic, it has no limits."

- Daniel Henninger, WALL STREET JOURNAL - 5/19/06

Old May 26th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Schlomo Lipchitz wrote:

I didn't think he was good looking enough to be a pilot!

Anyone who has ever seen a photo of IAF BG (probably Ret.
now) Amir 'Ugly' Nahumi (13 kills, 6 in the F-4E including 4
in his first mission, 7 in the F-16A, 2nd flight lead on
Osirak, etc.) will know that pulchritude is not a
requirement for their pilots ;-) In his case I think
'homely' rather than 'ugly' is more accurate.

Guy