Planning on RV10

Old December 26th 04, 11:51 PM
MR

Default Planning on RV10

Hi everyone, Am planning on embarking on building an RV 10. Would like to
hear from those who are building an RV10 or have built one. Questions:
1. Can I order / start with the empennage kit initially and then order other
kits as I move along?
2. How do you guys finance these planes? Is financing available for the
entire project or can I borrow piece meal? I do have the 10 or 20
downpayment.
3. Is Quick build worth it or the standard kit?
4. Is there anybody in the Indianapolis area I can meet and talk to.
I guess this will do initially.
I own and fly a Cessna 172M and plan on flying it while building the RV.
I am sorry if my questions are too basic. I do possess more than basic
mechanical skills.
Thanks for any and all encouraging replies.
MR

Old December 27th 04, 02:01 AM
Kyle Boatright

"MR" wrote in message
. ..
Hi everyone, Am planning on embarking on building an RV 10. Would like to
hear from those who are building an RV10 or have built one. Questions:
1. Can I order / start with the empennage kit initially and then order
other kits as I move along?

Yep. That's one of the things that makes Van's kits attractive.

2. How do you guys finance these planes? Is financing available for the
entire project or can I borrow piece meal? I do have the 10 or 20
downpayment.

Hopefully you'll get some decent answers here. Your local banker may be
your best option. It'll probably be an unsecured personal loan until the
project looks a lot like an airplane. A search of the RV list archives
(http://www.matronics.com/searching/search.html) may turn up some useful
information.

3. Is Quick build worth it or the standard kit?

There are a whole lotta rivets in an RV-10. I'd go quickbuild if I had the
$. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option when I built my RV-6.

4. Is there anybody in the Indianapolis area I can meet and talk to.

Look up your local EAA chapter. Even if you don't find an RV-10 builder,
you can probably visit several other RV projects.

Old December 27th 04, 10:12 PM

RobertR237 wrote:

You might find a couple who are building one but only one or two have

been
completed thus far so.

I would expect that the only completed RV-10s are the two factory
planes. I'm currently assisting a friend with his and we're sitting on
our hands waiting for the finishing kit. The earliest delivery slots
are in mid-Jan.

For the OP : If you want to get an idea of what you're getting
involved in, check out my buddy's website :

http://www.rvator.com/

The quick-build option is a huge time saver if you can afford the
extra $10K or so. His is not a quick build and some of the
quick-builders (with later start dates) are catching up fast.
John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old December 27th 04, 11:46 PM
MR

Thanks for the info guys, And I enjoyed the pictorial. Does look like a LOT
of riveting. Amazing they could do all that in a two car garage. Welcome
input from others too.
MR
wrote in message
oups.com...

Old December 28th 04, 02:51 AM
Jerry Springer

RobertR237 wrote:
[...]

Your question are not too basic but you would probably benefit more from direct
contact with the factory for all but number 4. It is a beautiful aircraft with
probably the best support of any kit manufacturer out there. A good choice if
you need a full four place with lots of baggage room.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Call the factory and they well help you find builders in your area if
there are any. The best way to get information is to join one of the RV
specific lists such as Matronics.

Jerry