Let's move on

Old August 18th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default Let's move on

To achieve this he made it as automotive as possible, with the yoke
working
as a steering wheel on the ground, and the rudder pedals eliminated
completely. (The rudders are interconnected with the ailerons, and work
remarkably well at keeping the ball centered.)

So why didn't it catch on? In _Stick and Rudder_ Wolfgang regularly sings
its
praises, without actually naming it.

I think it's a bit too weird for most pilots to land in a crab. In a
cross-wind, without rudders you can't kick it straight, so you touch down in
a crab, which feels VERY strange the first few times you do it.

There's also the problem of not being able to cross-control/slip without
rudder pedals. If (for example) you're high on final approach in the
Ercoupe there's nothing you can do to correct it but retard the throttle.
If that's not enough to get your glide slope nailed, your only option is to
go around.

And, finally, it's sort of like asking why there are still manual
transmission cars on the road, when the automatic transmission has proven
itself to be superior in nearly all regards. Some people (myself included)
*like* to have full control of their vehicles, and that's what the rudder
pedals allow.

The nose-wheel/yoke connection sure makes a lot of sense though, doesn't it?
Ground steering with your feet never made/makes much sense to me.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 18th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

[...]

You having full control of an airplane? You just admitted you kcik it
straight" in a crosswind.....

Don't make me laugh.

Oh wait,

Do.

Bertie
Old August 18th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Rocky Stevens wrote:
On Aug 16, 1:01 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
People of all ages never do anything unless there is something in

it for them.
I would imagine terms like "charity" and "selfless act" have no meaning
to you.
What was "in it" for Michael A. Monsoor when he threw himself on a grenade
to save his comrades?
People who believe the sentiment expressed by the poster you have
answered have no feeling whatsoever for the acts of people like Monsoor.
To them, all that exists is the search for an ulterior motive which they
either assume or create.

--
Dudley Henriques

IIRC, the original act that MX questioned was somebody saying, "go
**** yourself". Not exactly on par with somebody throwing themselves
on a grenade.

Tell me moron, is there ANYONE on this forum left with a brain?
You have mixed me up with another poster. Somebody called
) whatever or whoever the **** that is!
I wasn't even remotely involved in the discussion as you have indicated.
In other words, it WASN'T me he was referencing you ****ing moron!
Get a ****ing life will you please!

Oh, there are still many people on this forum with brains. We've just
decided not to contribute to the idiocy of MX. I still read the
threads (for a bit) because once in a while, I need to be reminded that
there really is something less interesting than cleaning the bathroom.

Old August 18th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
Dudley Henriques writes:

Tell me moron, is there ANYONE on this forum left with a brain?
You have mixed me up with another poster. Somebody called
) whatever or whoever the **** that is!
I wasn't even remotely involved in the discussion as you have indicated.
In other words, it WASN'T me he was referencing you ****ing moron!
Get a ****ing life will you please!

I feel like I'm reading one of Martin Scorsese's scripts.

As mad as I've been lately, it's getting to be more like Sam Peckenpaugh
:-))

More like a combination of Quentin Tarantino and Theodor Geisel

Old August 18th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon

On Aug 18, 12:59*pm, Blanche wrote:
[...]
Oh, there are still many people on this forum with brains. We've just
decided not to contribute to the idiocy of MX. I still read the
threads (for a bit) because once in a while, I need to be reminded that
*there really is something less interesting than cleaning the bathroom.

Nice

The following may help those that need to stop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI2RupGZ_D4&feature=related
Old August 18th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

The nose-wheel/yoke connection sure makes a lot of sense though, doesn't it?
Ground steering with your feet never made/makes much sense to me.

Agreed. Are there any other aircraft that you can steer on the ground with
the yoke?
Old August 18th 08, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
Jay Honeck writes:

The nose-wheel/yoke connection sure makes a lot of sense though, doesn't it?
Ground steering with your feet never made/makes much sense to me.

Agreed. Are there any other aircraft that you can steer on the ground with
the yoke?

Just about every airplane use for primary instruction when taxied for
the first time by a new student (until the instructor shows them how to
use their feet :-))))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 19th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rocky Stevens

On Aug 17, 11:10 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Jay Honeck writes:
The Ercoupe is incredibly easy to fly -- it was designed by Fred Weick (the
guy who later designed the Cherokee) to be "Everyman's Plane", the plane
that anyone can fly with minimal training after they come back from WWII.

To achieve this he made it as automotive as possible, with the yoke working
as a steering wheel on the ground, and the rudder pedals eliminated
completely. (The rudders are interconnected with the ailerons, and work
remarkably well at keeping the ball centered.)

So why didn't it catch on? In _Stick and Rudder_ Wolfgang regularly sings its
praises, without actually naming it.

He actually does mention it a couple of times; it is what first gave
me the thought of getting one. I hate steering with my feet!
Old August 19th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rocky Stevens

Default Ercoupe for training

On Aug 17, 9:33 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

Much of his design innovations have become standard in all planes (an
electric starter, all-metal construction, etc.) and were quite modern for
the time -- but much of them did NOT become standard, meaning that learning
to fly in an Ercoupe is pretty much a developmental dead-end. You'll never
know how to fly a plane with rudder pedals if you train in one that only has
a brake pedal on the floor!

That is what I thought at first as well, but then I got to thinking: I
learned to drive in an automatic, and later learned to drive a stick.
Also, many people learn to fly with fixed gear, and then later go on
to retractable (though as far as I know there is not that much
difference there besides remembering to lower the gear).

In any event, I do not have the guts to buy a plane right now; I am
notoriously cheap (which makes me a REAL genius for taking up flying).