is it just me?

Old August 14th 04, 06:31 AM
The Weiss Family

Default is it just me?

Admittedly, I only have about 65 hours (PP-ASEL), but I've yet to have a
flight where something "unusual" didn't happen.
Also, admittedly, half of the time, it's something dumb I've done (forgot to
turn my transponder to ALT, etc).
However, the other half isn't.
Today for example, I almost made a completely perfect trip for a $100 burger
with nothing unusual.
On the way back, on short final (about 300 or 400 AGL) the gulfstream that
was inching passed the hold short line decided he wanted to take the runway.
I did a 360 and heard a comment on the radio that he must be on the wrong
radio frequency.
Wasn't that big of a deal, but is it just me?

Adam

Old August 14th 04, 01:49 PM
Jay Honeck

Wasn't that big of a deal, but is it just me?

Yes.

;-)

Actually, it's your definition of an unusual event that will change over
time.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 14th 04, 03:40 PM
Maule Driver

Think about your typical car trip - people turning, changing lanes, busting
traffic lights. How many of those things you might do yourself without real
consideration.

Perhaps we fly to a higher standard... or perhaps it's just the nature of
experiencing something new. As Jay said, your definition of unusual will
change.

Old August 14th 04, 04:47 PM
nooneimportant

"The Weiss Family" wrote in message
Admittedly, I only have about 65 hours (PP-ASEL), but I've yet to have a
flight where something "unusual" didn't happen.
Also, admittedly, half of the time, it's something dumb I've done (forgot

turn my transponder to ALT, etc).
However, the other half isn't.
Today for example, I almost made a completely perfect trip for a $100

burger
with nothing unusual.
On the way back, on short final (about 300 or 400 AGL) the gulfstream

that
was inching passed the hold short line decided he wanted to take the

runway.
I did a 360 and heard a comment on the radio that he must be on the wrong
radio frequency.
Wasn't that big of a deal, but is it just me?

Adam

Seems to me a cross country without at least one go around is a rarity.
Very high frequency flight training around here.. i go to one big academy,
there is another at the airport 10 miles away, and a few more up and down
the Florida coast. Add in some very busy (sometiems just rookie themselves)
Tower controllers... Lovely tricks like directing holdshort AC to taxi into
position, then not delivering a TO clearance fast enough to get them off the
ground before i land, someone "Cleared for takeoff, no delay" stopping to do
their takoff checklist (instead of doing "on the go" as you taxi to the
centerline). Students landing slightly long and not being able to make the
normal turnoff, thereby extending time on the runway while i'm on short
final, all kinds of factors. Haven't seen any major runway incursions yet,
haven't seen anyone blow a hold short line either, just numerous snafus in
sequencing and timing. And i'm finally starting to get over the minor
oopses (had a habit of running a checklist, and somehow skipping over an
item, went to a flow then croscheck with paper method and had GREAT results
with it) but now for some strange reason i keep contacting center on
tower... tower on ground... ground on dispatch... etc etc.... gotta remember
to push the freqswap button on the G430, then make sure audio panel is on
proper radio.... guess I can make a radio flow for each time i modify a freq
start a descent/approach/cruise/climb....

Old August 14th 04, 11:59 PM
John Gaquin

"The Weiss Family" wrote in message

Admittedly, I only have about 65 hours (PP-ASEL), but I've yet to have a
flight where something "unusual" didn't happen.

Don't say "...only have about 65 hours...". Those 65 hours are probably the
hardest 65 hours you'll ever acquire.

Re "unusual" things happening: You're now reaching the point where you
begin to realize that there is *never* a perfect flight.

Old August 15th 04, 12:52 AM
RjL

I had the same realization a few months after gettting the plastic picture
of orville & wilbur... No such thing as 'normal' flight. On the other hand,
thats a lot of the fun. Once the sweaty palms 'where the heck am I anyway'
period passes - things would get boring if it was all just up, cruise, down
with no surprises! I take it the Gulfstream incident was at a nontowered
field? Else what *other* TWR controller cleared him to taxi & hold??

Have fun! Im only 70 hrs ahead of you & mostly through IFR training. When I
finish the instrument rating I figure I'll be about as good a VFR pilot as I
hoped I would be when I got the PP. I figure 100-200 more hours and a
commercial rating & I'll be a decent instrument pilot. But why fly if not to
learn & get better? I mean besides the obvious "I can go 120 MPH in a
straight line isnt that amazing?" part

Old August 15th 04, 06:57 AM
The Weiss Family

I take it the Gulfstream incident was at a nontowered
field? Else what *other* TWR controller cleared him to taxi & hold??

Yup. I fly out of Minden, NV (MEV) -- No tower.

Have fun! Im only 70 hrs ahead of you & mostly through IFR training. When

finish the instrument rating I figure I'll be about as good a VFR pilot as

hoped I would be when I got the PP. I figure 100-200 more hours and a
commercial rating & I'll be a decent instrument pilot. But why fly if not

learn & get better? I mean besides the obvious "I can go 120 MPH in a
straight line isnt that amazing?" part

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
You know, you're right... I kind of enjoy the "unusual" stuff because it
keeps me on my toes.
And you're right again, every flight I learn something and get better.
Good luck with your training!

Adam

Old August 15th 04, 12:02 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"nooneimportant" no.spam@me wrote in message

Seems to me a cross country without at least one go around is a rarity.
Very high frequency flight training around here.. i go to one big academy,
there is another at the airport 10 miles away, and a few more up and down
the Florida coast. Add in some very busy (sometiems just rookie
themselves) Tower controllers... Lovely tricks like directing holdshort

AC
to taxi into position, then not delivering a TO clearance fast enough to

get
them off the ground before i land,

[snip]

Students landing slightly long and not being able to make the
normal turnoff, thereby extending time on the runway while i'm on short
final, all kinds of factors.

There's not necessarily any problem there. Under the right conditions there
can be more than one airplane using the runway at any given moment.

Old August 15th 04, 12:04 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"RjL" wrote in message

I had the same realization a few months after gettting the plastic

picture
of orville & wilbur... No such thing as 'normal' flight. On the other

hand,
thats a lot of the fun. Once the sweaty palms 'where the heck am I anyway'
period passes - things would get boring if it was all just up, cruise,

down
with no surprises! I take it the Gulfstream incident was at a nontowered
field? Else what *other* TWR controller cleared him to taxi & hold??

What clearance to taxi and hold?

Old August 15th 04, 05:19 PM
Michael

"The Weiss Family" wrote
Admittedly, I only have about 65 hours (PP-ASEL), but I've yet to have a
flight where something "unusual" didn't happen.

At 65 hours, everything is unusual. Really. See, there's an
important difference between the typical 65 hour automobile driver
(that would be what - 3000 miles, maybe a few months driving
experience at best) and 65 hour airplane pilot. The driver has
probably hundreds of hours sitting in the right seat of a car,
observing. He has a pretty fair idea of what is unusual and what
isn't long before he gets that learner's permit. On top of that, the
new driver is young - learns faster, reacts faster.

Ever seen what happens when someone comes to the US from a country
where automobile ownership is rare and few people drive, in middle
age, and immediately starts learning to drive? I have. It's not
pretty, and most new pilots are like that.

So here you are, no real experience, trying to figure out what is
normal. With time, you will. With time, you will also discover that
most of the unusual things are not only usual but predictable.

Also, admittedly, half of the time, it's something dumb I've done (forgot to
turn my transponder to ALT, etc).

Conversation between me and a controller, a few weeks ago:
ATC: Are you about 7 miles South-Southeast of Sugarland moving North?
Me: Affirm
ATC: RADAR contact, primary target only. Check your transponder.
Me: Oh, sorry. Transponder works better in Oscan-November mode.

I have over 20 times as many hours as you do, and I'm an ATP. Feel
better?

We all make dumb mistakes. It happens. We're all human. Corollary -
try not to put yourself in too many situations where one dumb mistake
will kill you. Odds will catch up with you eventually. Limit your
checklists to items that can kill you - the more items on the
checklist, the more chance of skipping one, so keep them as short as
possible - but no shorter. If you must put yourself in a situation
where one dumb mistake will kill you, know which mistake it is - and
don't make it. Be aware.

However, the other half isn't.

Yes - the other half is something dumb I've done. Or whoever else is
around. Or something funky with the weather. Or something doesn't
work right.

On the way back, on short final (about 300 or 400 AGL) the gulfstream that
was inching passed the hold short line decided he wanted to take the runway.
I did a 360 and heard a comment on the radio that he must be on the wrong
radio frequency.
Wasn't that big of a deal, but is it just me?

Nah. He didn't see you, he may have been on the wrong frequency, or
had the wrong radio selected, or had the audio panel misconfigured, or
he just missed your radio call. It happens. BTDT. So you did a 360
and landed. No harm, no foul.

When was the last time you had to slow down a bit because someone
changed lanes and didn't see you? How many times did you change lanes
and discover a car in your rearview mirror you didn't realize was
there?

Michael