Presidents What Has Been Shot At

Old February 17th 04, 09:36 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Bob McKellar" wrote in message
Compiling the list just for fun.

Starting with WWII era, "shot at" limited to military
situations

FDR No
Truman Sorta yes, but I will say No
Ike No ( strange but true )
JFK Yes ( but mostly rammed )
LBJ Yes ( but pretty much bogus )
Nixon No
Ford Yes ( in an impersonal way )
Carter No
Reagan No
GHW Bush Yes
Clinton No
GW Bush No

Analysis:
Overall; 4 yes, 8 no

Dems 2 yes, 4 no
Repubs 2 yes, 4 no

Presided over a significant war as president 3 yes 4 no

Didn't
1 yes 4 no

Service academy graduates 0 yes 2 no

Army/AF vets 0 yes 4 no
Navy 4 yes 2 no

Conclusions: Damfino

Maybe there isn't a real pattern.

Bob McKellar

You forgot Carter's attack by a "rabbitfire" :-)

Dudley

Old February 17th 04, 10:44 PM
Laurence Doering

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:50:21 GMT, Fred J McCall wrote:
Cub Driver wrote:

:
:Ford Yes ( in an impersonal way )
:
:He was shot at by Squeaky From. That was pretty personal.

Well, no, he wasn't. He was AIMED AT by Squeaky Fromme. The gun was
not loaded.

Y'all are forgetting Sarah Jane Moore, who did fire a shot at Gerald Ford
outside the St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco on 22 September 1975 (7 days
after Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme's attempt to shoot him outside the California
State House in Sacramento). Moore had a .38 Smith and Wesson revolver. A
bystander named Oliver Sipple grabbed Moore's arm when he saw the gun and
the shot went wild, wounding a cab driver who was nearby.

Fromme's .45 automatic was loaded (rounds in the magazine), but she either
didn't know she had to work the weapon's slide to chamber a round or forgot
to do it. According to at least one account, she shouted, "It didn't go off.
It didn't go off. Can you believe it?" as she was being handcuffed by a
Secret Service agent, so apparently Fromme intended to shoot Ford. She
most likely would have succeeded if she'd been more familiar with the
gun she tried to use.

ljd
Old February 18th 04, 12:29 AM
Steven James Forsberg

: Since I got so much wrong earlier, I shall nitpickingly ( wait till the spell checker
: sees that one! ) defend myself. I said "His" mission was bogus, not "The" mission,
: on purpose, because I see the story the same way you do.

I shall see your nitpickingly and raise you an argumentational!
"His" mission was as an observer, which was not a bogus mission, just
one that anybody with eyeballs could pretty much accomplish. (awaiting flames
from highly qualified former observers...)
ISTR when I was in that the local helicopter units carried "observers"
when on SAR training missions and such. Almost invariably, they were
attractive young women who had been met at the club. I guess they didn't
have any nurses around so LBJ had to do. :-)

regards,

Old February 18th 04, 12:53 AM
Bob McKellar

Steven James Forsberg wrote:

: Since I got so much wrong earlier, I shall nitpickingly ( wait till the spell checker
: sees that one! ) defend myself. I said "His" mission was bogus, not "The" mission,
: on purpose, because I see the story the same way you do.

I shall see your nitpickingly and raise you an argumentational!
"His" mission was as an observer, which was not a bogus mission, just
one that anybody with eyeballs could pretty much accomplish. (awaiting flames
from highly qualified former observers...)

We have been back and forth several times today with trivial semantic differences. If we
don't get down to slinging offensive names and insults at each other pretty soon, we'll get
disqualified and banned from these news groups!

Bob

Old February 18th 04, 01:49 AM
Ken Adams

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away,
Michael P. Reed opposed the empire by writing:
Bob McKellar wrote in message
Compiling the list just for fun.

[snip]

A couple of those were inherited, but for the most part, I think it
depends upon events of the moment more than actual prior service (or
having "seen the elephant").

I'd like to see a list like this for Stuarts, Tudors, Windsors, et.
al.

--
Ken
http://www.geocities.com/kmadams85

Old February 18th 04, 02:30 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
news
"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

:"Bob McKellar" wrote in message
:
: Personal and very scary, but not military. I did remember
: that one ( and some others ).
:
:When is the CinC not Military?

When you're talking about the United States.

In these United States the President is Commander in Chief of the Military,
as delegated by the US Constitution.

Old February 18th 04, 02:31 AM
Tarver Engineering

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
"Tarver Engineering" wrote...

When is the CinC not Military?

If "CinC" means "Commander in Chief", then when he's the President of the

United
States.

If you mean something else in context, please define CinC.

I am refering to the Constitutional authority delegated to the President.

Old February 18th 04, 04:36 AM
Fred J. McCall

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

:"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
:news : "Tarver Engineering" wrote:
:
: :"Bob McKellar" wrote in message
: ...
: :
: : Personal and very scary, but not military. I did remember
: : that one ( and some others ).
: :
: :When is the CinC not Military?
:
: When you're talking about the United States.
:
:In these United States the President is Commander in Chief of the Military,
:as delegated by the US Constitution.

And is a civilian, not military.

territory."
--G. Behn
Old February 18th 04, 04:38 AM
Fred J. McCall

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

:
:"John R Weiss" wrote in message
:news:ZHsYb.331816$I06.3436307@attbi_s01...
: "Tarver Engineering" wrote...
:
:
: When is the CinC not Military?
:
: If "CinC" means "Commander in Chief", then when he's the President of the United
: States.
:
: If you mean something else in context, please define CinC.
:
:I am refering to the Constitutional authority delegated to the President.

Which does not make him 'military' any more than the Secretary of
Defense is 'military' or the Secretary of the Navy is 'a sailor'.

territory."
--G. Behn
Old February 18th 04, 04:56 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

:
:"John R Weiss" wrote in message
:news:ZHsYb.331816$I06.3436307@attbi_s01...
: "Tarver Engineering" wrote...
:
:
: When is the CinC not Military?
:
: If "CinC" means "Commander in Chief", then when he's the President of

the United
: States.
:
: If you mean something else in context, please define CinC.
:
:I am refering to the Constitutional authority delegated to the President.

Which does not make him 'military' any more than the Secretary of
Defense is 'military' or the Secretary of the Navy is 'a sailor'.

The DoD is delegated Congressional authority and extra Constitutional in
nature.