Suit against Zenith

Old October 21st 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
miguel[_2_]

Default Suit against Zenith

http://www.modbee.com/featured/story/901152.html
Old October 24th 09, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan D[_2_]

Bye bye Zenith...

sad that lawsuits like this can be heard...

Old October 24th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja[_2_]

Dan D wrote:
Bye bye Zenith...

"miguel" wrote in message
http://www.modbee.com/featured/story/901152.html

sad that lawsuits like this can be heard...

What I find strange is that the four defendant companies had allegedly
agreed to pay $200,000 total to settle the suit, but then reneged.
Remarkably low, for a case involving death, even less if the settlement
was to be split between the four companies.

If the plaintiff's claim about the previous agreed settlement is true,
it sounds like there's some financial problems among the defendants....

Ron Wanttaja
Old October 24th 09, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
Dan D wrote:
Bye bye Zenith...

"miguel" wrote in message

http://www.modbee.com/featured/story/901152.html

sad that lawsuits like this can be heard...

What I find strange is that the four defendant companies had allegedly
agreed to pay $200,000 total to settle the suit, but then reneged.
Remarkably low, for a case involving death, even less if the
settlement was to be split between the four companies.

If the plaintiff's claim about the previous agreed settlement is true,
it sounds like there's some financial problems among the
defendants....

Could be - but here's another possibility: I notice the story claims the
companies agreed to the payments on April 20, but Zenith didn't get the
results of formal flutter analysis till July. So their legal advisors
probably made the initial decision under some uncertainty. Or they switched
legal teams in the mean time and have gotten alternate advise.

Also, perhaps they may also be seeing other lawsuits coming up so decided
that nothing was to be gained from settling this lawsuit. In fact they may
now feel they can win this lawsuit and thereby put the damper on anything
that follows.
Old October 25th 09, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Garry O

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
Dan D wrote:
Bye bye Zenith...

"miguel" wrote in message
http://www.modbee.com/featured/story/901152.html

sad that lawsuits like this can be heard...

What I find strange is that the four defendant companies had allegedly
agreed to pay $200,000 total to settle the suit, but then reneged.
Remarkably low, for a case involving death, even less if the settlement
was to be split between the four companies.

If the plaintiff's claim about the previous agreed settlement is true, it
sounds like there's some financial problems among the defendants....

Ron Wanttaja

or they got a lawyer with a spine who said if you pay up on this one you
will be seen as admitting fault and the wolves will begin circling.
And I would expect a Court case would be far more expensive, even if it was
split 4 ways, than just paying up.

--
Flying RA Aus, because its cheaper and I can do it more often :-)

Old October 25th 09, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja[_2_]

Jim Logajan wrote:
Ron Wanttaja wrote:

What I find strange is that the four defendant companies had allegedly
agreed to pay $200,000 total to settle the suit, but then reneged.
Remarkably low, for a case involving death, even less if the
settlement was to be split between the four companies.

If the plaintiff's claim about the previous agreed settlement is true,
it sounds like there's some financial problems among the
defendants....

Could be - but here's another possibility: I notice the story claims the
companies agreed to the payments on April 20, but Zenith didn't get the
results of formal flutter analysis till July. So their legal advisors
probably made the initial decision under some uncertainty. Or they switched
legal teams in the mean time and have gotten alternate advise.

No matter what formal analysis they have done, the plaintiff's lawyers
will present their own experts who will, of course, come to an alternate
conclusion. I understand the British CAA is still going to require
changes. This indicates that not everyone is convinced, and you can bet
the plaintiff will find some distinguished analyst to testify in their
favor.

Also, perhaps they may also be seeing other lawsuits coming up so decided
that nothing was to be gained from settling this lawsuit. In fact they may
now feel they can win this lawsuit and thereby put the damper on anything
that follows.

Risky move. They had one case, at least, settled. Now the plaintiffs
are probably madder than heck, and the revised lawsuit includes punitive
damages as well. The original out-of-court settlement wouldn't have set
a legal precedent, but a loss in court will.

Ron Wanttaja

zenith hds/xl Ted Leon Home Built 5 July 3rd 08 02:16 PM
zenith 601hds cc0248037 Aviation Marketplace 2 September 15th 06 04:47 PM
Zenith STOL 801 R.W. Behan Home Built 2 May 24th 06 02:34 PM
Zenith CH 601 vs. CH 701, better? DL152279546231 Home Built 7 February 28th 04 06:01 AM
Zenith CH 300 kit DougK Home Built 1 February 16th 04 10:40 PM