Hydraulic trailer surge brakes means no parking brake?

Old March 17th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Hydraulic trailer surge brakes means no parking brake?

Forced to replace my snapped Komet III trailer tongue, the American/
modern answer for surge brakes seems to be hydraulic (versus
mechanical), or maybe electric. But either seems to eliminate the
possibility of parking brakes.

Without parking brakes, I'd have to use chalks. This is certainly
less convenient and I find the parking brake at the tongue to be
useful for hillside manual maneuvering of my trailer...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric
ER
Old March 17th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 17, 1:35*pm, wrote:
Forced to replace my snapped Komet III trailer tongue, the American/
modern answer for surge brakes seems to be hydraulic (versus
mechanical), or maybe electric. *But either seems to eliminate the
possibility of parking brakes.

Without parking brakes, I'd have to use chalks. *This is certainly
less convenient and I find the parking brake at the tongue to be
useful for hillside manual maneuvering of my trailer...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric
ER

Have you talked to the Komet folks about a replacement tongue
assembly?
Should be no reason why you can't get a replacement that funtions the
same.
UH
Old March 17th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 17, 10:35*am, wrote:
*But either seems to eliminate the possibility of parking brakes.

Without parking brakes, I'd have to use chalks. *

Hydraulic parking brakes seem to work fine on aircraft ranging in size
from a PA-28 to an MD-11. I can't see any reason they could not be
used on a trailer.

What are chalks?? Is this another common language thing?

Andy
Old March 17th 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Andy wrote:

What are chalks?? Is this another common language thing?

You use them to mark the place where you left your un-braked trailer.
Old March 17th 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Mar 17, 11:58 am, Andy wrote:
On Mar 17, 10:35 am, wrote:

But either seems to eliminate the possibility of parking brakes.

Without parking brakes, I'd have to use chalks.

Hydraulic parking brakes seem to work fine on aircraft ranging in size
from a PA-28 to an MD-11. I can't see any reason they could not be
used on a trailer.

What are chalks?? Is this another common language thing?

Andy

Possibly a spell checker thing, if using the "Dan Quayle Spell
Checker" plug-in.
Chalks are a bit like crayons, but some children don't like the taste
as much.
News of a hydraulic parking brake actuator to add to a hydraulic
surge brake system would be welcome.
Jim
Old March 17th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 17, 3:01*pm, John Smith wrote:
Andy wrote:
What are chalks?? *Is this another common language thing?

You use them to mark the place where you left your un-braked trailer.

That is funny!!!
Old March 17th 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Since no one else is going to pipe up, the correct spelling is
"chocks".
Old March 17th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Meade

On Mar 17, 3:41*pm, wrote:
Since no one else is going to pipe up, the correct spelling is
"chocks".

Thanks. I was about to screech.

Old March 18th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Mar 17, 11:58 am, Andy wrote:
On Mar 17, 10:35 am, wrote:

But either seems to eliminate the possibility of parking brakes.

Without parking brakes, I'd have to use chalks.

Hydraulic parking brakes seem to work fine on aircraft ranging in size
from a PA-28 to an MD-11. I can't see any reason they could not be
used on a trailer.

What are chalks?? Is this another common language thing?

Andy

Since when do you leave hydralic brakes locked on aircraft? Chock
(chalks if you prefer :-)), tie down, unlock brakes. Right?

Darryl
Old March 18th 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

I know, it's no fun, but... An ANSWER to Eric's question! (and mine,
too)

KSport makes a hand brake for rally cars which is a hydraulic
actuator. It has a lock, so can be used as a parking brake.
Believe it's T 'd into the hydraulic lines between the actuator and
the axle
http://www.ksportusa.com/asp/hydraulic.asp
Ever try moving a trailer around by hand on even a slight slope with
no parking brake? You can't run to the axle to chock the wheels in
time.
Better bring chalk!
Jim

Cobra surge brakes on mountain grades. [email protected] Soaring 12 May 21st 07 02:15 AM
Cleveland Parking Brake Parts Jeff Home Built 2 October 11th 04 10:38 PM
Eberle Surge Brake Rebuild Jim Hendrix Soaring 0 June 18th 04 08:28 PM
Parking brake FS98 Graham Simulators 0 May 2nd 04 09:14 AM
Trailer brakes Bert Willing Soaring 1 October 31st 03 07:55 AM