V-8 powered Seabee

Old September 25th 04, 12:59 PM
NW_PILOT

I seen one of them Seabee's come in to 59S one day very interesting sight
very loud also not sure what power plant it had in it he has a for sale sign
on the bulletin board at the Simi-FBO on the field.

wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:33:02 GMT,
(Corky Scott) wrote:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:30:49 -0500, Barnyard BOb --
wrote:

What, it's not ok to question that certified aircraft engines have
seen the zenith of their development and are anachronistic, overpriced
and tempermental? BIG grin here

Corky Scott
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Does the BIG grin imply that you do not believe this?
Matters not. We've been at our impasse far too long.
I no longer care what you think or do.

Plonk.

Barnyard BOb -- 50 years of flight

BOb Urban, I_am_hurt! You mean after years of gratuitous insults and
nearly automatic acerbic comments to me, you leave the field?

And here I thought your lack of personal attacks against me lately
were a sign that at last I was gaining your respect because so many
auto coversions had been successful lately.

I guess not.

Corky (who wants my tattered battle flag) Scott

PS, you mean you think that certified aircraft engines AREN'T
anachronistic, overpriced and tempermental? Lordy, I thought that was
something everyone could agree on.

I talked with the man behind the V8 SeaBee last saterday.
Over 1000 trouble free hours on the LT1 in his own plane.
Several hundred on the doc's LT6.

The LT1 has had the drive apart several times checking for wear - none
found. Engine has not changed compression, oil pressure, oil temp, or
oil consumption since first 20 hour of break-in.

And that "trouble free" IS trouble free. No changes required.
The LT6 has needed some changes in code for theO2 sensors from what I
remember. (2 sensor vs 4 sensor vs no sensor)

Old September 25th 04, 06:23 PM

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 04:59:57 -0700, "NW_PILOT"
wrote:

I seen one of them Seabee's come in to 59S one day very interesting sight
very loud also not sure what power plant it had in it he has a for sale sign
on the bulletin board at the Simi-FBO on the field.

99.9% sure it will be a Franklion six. Virtually impossible to keep
100% legal as traceability of Franklin parts dissapeared a decade or
so ago when the last Franklin parts stock changed hands.

The subject engine, by the way, is an LS1, not an LT1 - my mystake,
and the LS6 is also going into a big Murphy.
wrote in message
.. .

Old October 2nd 04, 11:45 PM
Ted Azito

The bottom line is not that the noncertified engines get a free pass,
or they shouldn't, but that:

1. Certification of the engine, is not required of aircraft with
Experimental/Amateur-Built C of A:

2.Is of no benefit except you get a shorter fly off period:

3.The commonly available choices of certificated engine unless you
can buy a new PT6A-34 are simply ridiculous from any reasonable
standpoint.

I believe if you want a certified engine perhaps you ought to have a
certified airframe to go with it. If type certification improves
powerplants, doesn't it improve airframes as well? To think otherwise
is schizoid, particularly in a world where you can buy easily
rebuildable certificated aircraft and an overhauled museum piece and
prop to match for less than a lot of people are putting into kit
planes.

And as far as the electronic issues go, I don't want FADEC on any
engine, certified or not. I would rather have mechanical FI or a float
bowl carb and a one mag one electric system (like Franklin so
intelligently used as did Shaky Jakes). Actually the most reliable
engine control system in the world is PT Cummins Diesel injection but
that's another story entirely. All hydromechanical.

human powered flight patrick timony Home Built 10 September 16th 03 03:38 AM
Illusive elastic powered Ornithopter Mike Hindle Home Built 6 September 15th 03 03:32 PM
Pre-Rotator Powered by Compressed Air? nuke Home Built 8 July 30th 03 12:36 PM
Powered Parachute Plans MJC Home Built 4 July 15th 03 07:29 PM
Powered Parachute Plans- correction Cy Galley Home Built 0 July 11th 03 03:43 AM