PENNINES NEAR PENRITH - UK

Old August 5th 05, 03:56 PM
Malcolm Austin

Default PENNINES NEAR PENRITH - UK

Hi,
for those that know the area, this question may not be a surprise.

I am often driving up the M6 on my way to north Cumbria, and to my right
(going north)
there seems to be a long ridge of good height which seems to shout for some
ridge
soaring.

Question is, there doesn't seem to be any gliding club in the local area to
take advantage
of this locality?

There must be either some history, or a good reason not fly there (Tornado's
at 500/500
for a start?) Anyone with any knowledge of any soaring in the area in the
past?

I can see an interesting place to take my K6, with a bungee for a start!!

Malcolm...

Old August 9th 05, 12:50 PM
John in the air John in the air is offline
Junior Member

Location: UK - South Yorkshire
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Austin
Hi, there seems to be a long ridge of good height which seems to shout for some ridge soaring.

Question is, there doesn't seem to be any gliding club in the local area to
take advantage of this locality?
Malcolm...
Malcolm - some thirty years ago, or so there was a commercial gliding club known as "the Carlisle GC" I think. Site location I don't remember. They claimed a 50Km ridge run, which is probably the ridge you are referring to.

Another activity in the NW is the September camp in the Eden Valley with a winch in a farmers field, but that's further south.
John in the air.
Old August 9th 05, 06:33 PM
Pete S

"John in the air" wrote in
message m...

--
John in the air

Take a look at www.lakesgc.co.uk we fly from Walney but in our history as
the Furness Gliding Club we flew in a couple of places in that area.

Peter.

Old August 10th 05, 08:49 AM
Malcolm Austin

Hi John,
I will have to check out the Eden Valley activity. I fly at
Denbigh so
am used to a good ridge, but with major wave influence (good and bad).
Maybe
this valley has similar wave from Cumbria?

Malcolm...

"John in the air" wrote in
message m...

Old August 10th 05, 09:04 AM
Malcolm Austin

Hi, I also received this reply directly (see below). So there has been a
gliding site
in the area at one time. Without fully knowing the location of Carlisle
airport in relation to the ridge, I believe it might be a reasonable
distance
(or over the ridge) to get there.

I'm not sure also of the regulations to fly in the area (or any flight
restrictions)
but it looks an interesting area to play in spring and autumn, with good
westerlies. There must be excellent ridge and wave from the main
Cumbrian mountains at this time!

Malcolm

Since nobody else seems to have replied, I have some history of this area.

I used to fly at Currock Hill (Northumbria) and we made a couple of trips to
a small operation at the northern end of this ridge. ie to the SE of
Carlisle.

The 'club' was run by a gliding farmer who had a field near Castle Carrock.
There are some lakes in the area... taking tarn rings a bell. He has a
small
winch launch operation and flew his Oly 2 and later a YS53 two seater
from the site. I don't think this operation survived ... my experiences
were
back in the early 80's.

Also, Phil Lever flew his Nimbus 3dt from Carlisle airport and soared the
ridge. Flying from the northern end should allow access to the superb
west facing ridge you mention, but also a north facing ridge which
heads east from Carlisle.

Like you, I would like to soar it some day, so keep me posted if you
learn any more.
"Pete S" wrote in message

"John in the air" wrote
in message m...