Stinson 108-1 as a tug?

Old December 9th 11, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Boggs

Default Stinson 108-1 as a tug?

Has anyone used a Stinson 108 to tow? I'm considering a 108-1 with a
190hp 0435 in it. I know it won't be as good as a Pawnee, but will it
be good enough?

Thoughts and opinions please.

Boggs
Old December 9th 11, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Dec 9, 7:22*am, GARY BOGGS wrote:
Has anyone used a Stinson 108 to tow? *I'm considering a 108-1 with a
190hp 0435 in it. *I know it won't be as good as a Pawnee, but will it
be good enough?

Thoughts and opinions please.

Boggs

I recall tows in an LK-10A behind a WW2 surplus L-5 with a six-
cylinder Lycoming O-435 engine of 190 horsepower. Even with this
engine, it seemed heavy and underpowered. My most vivid recollection
is of awesome wake turbulence and unimpressive climb rate.
Old December 9th 11, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On Dec 9, 6:22*am, GARY BOGGS wrote:
Has anyone used a Stinson 108 to tow? *I'm considering a 108-1 with a
190hp 0435 in it. *I know it won't be as good as a Pawnee, but will it
be good enough?

Thoughts and opinions please.

Boggs

How does the Stinson climb with full fuel and pilot at 60kias?If the
climb rate is mediocre, don't expect it to be a good tow plane.
Our Pawnee will climb at 1200fpm at 60kias with no one on tow. Add a
2-33 or Grob 103 with 2 people and the climb rate drops to 600fpm. So
if the Stinson will only climb at 400-500fpm, you may only get 200fpm
on tow.

Old December 10th 11, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

At 16:45 09 December 2011, Bill D wrote:
On Dec 9, 7:22=A0am, GARY BOGGS wrote:
Has anyone used a Stinson 108 to tow? =A0I'm considering a 108-1 with a
190hp 0435 in it. =A0I know it won't be as good as a Pawnee, but will

it
be good enough?

Thoughts and opinions please.

Boggs

I recall tows in an LK-10A behind a WW2 surplus L-5 with a six-
cylinder Lycoming O-435 engine of 190 horsepower. Even with this
engine, it seemed heavy and underpowered. My most vivid recollection
is of awesome wake turbulence and unimpressive climb rate.

I believe if memory serves me right that they used to tow behind a Stinson
108 at Invermere B.C. in the late 90's - all I'll say is some tows were
sometimes interesting! Might be worth contacting Trevor Florence there for
his views.

Old December 10th 11, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

On Dec 10, 4:17*am, Paul T wrote:
[...]

not exactly the same but the banner towing company at my local airport
uses a fleet of them.
they've used them for years and they seem to do just fine.
They pull some huge banners.
Dan
WO
Old December 10th 11, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

It's been about 36 years since I flew a Stinson 108 but, if memory serves, I
wouldn't want to be on either end of the tow rope if the glider was
loaded...

Old December 10th 11, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Auxvache

We used to have a 108-3 with the Continental O-470 conversion.
My first power solo, and a much beloved airplane.
With one notch of flaps, it towed like a, like a, like a prettier 235
Pawnee.
Recommended!