Should we rebuild MX 300 NavCom

Old July 14th 03, 12:16 AM
Roger Long

Default Should we rebuild MX 300 NavCom

We have an MX300 in our 172 that has started producing squeals and static
whenever it is turned on. It was intermittent a month ago and proceeded to
being continuous. We can still transmit and receive if we can stand
listening to the noise.

I turned it on today and could clearly hear a commercial station mixed in
with the squeals. It also has some LED segments that no longer light.

We've wanted to replace this unit for a long time so as to have two radios
that match but the panel rebuild required by the fact that it is physically
larger makes the whole project more than we can spend right now.

This radio has not been cleaned, tuned, or even opened up for a long time.
Is it worth sending it back to the factory for overhaul or should we just
turn it directly into a paperweight and live with one radio until we can
afford another?

Wild ass guesses and pithy opinions appreciated.

--
Roger Long

Old July 14th 03, 02:20 PM
Pat Yearick

My MX300 was simulcasting on similar freqencies (122.975 and 123.0).
With that problem, the TKM repair fixed the problem but there wasn't
anything flat about the fee: $300+.

TKM INC. 14811 N. 73RD ST
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
(800) 233-4183

Mike Adams wrote:

Yes, the MX-300 is a TKM replacement for the Cessna radio. I've had good
service and results from the factory repair service - yes, it's a flat rate
unless signficant new parts are needed.

Mike

In article , Justin Case
wrote:
Is that a "TKM - Michel" radio? If so, there's a flat fee for repair.
I think it's like $90.00 or so.

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 23:16:47 GMT, "Roger Long"
. com wrote:

We have an MX300 in our 172 that has started producing squeals and static
whenever it is turned on.

snip

--

Pat Yearick
Sales Representative
Old July 15th 03, 04:06 AM
Sydney Hoeltzli

Roger Long wrote:
We have an MX300 in our 172 that has started producing squeals and static
whenever it is turned on. ....
Is it worth sending it back to the factory for overhaul or should we just
turn it directly into a paperweight and live with one radio until we can
afford another?

TKM radios can only be serviced at the factory.

I would send it in, get a repair estimate, and make your decision
accordingly. It seems as though it would be worth wagering the
postage, esp. if you're considering living w/ one radio for longer
duration.

FWIW,
Sydney

tube type navcom Pam Aviation Marketplace 3 March 23rd 04 10:52 PM
tube type navcom Pam General Aviation 4 March 22nd 04 05:49 PM
Interested in 320 Rebuild Information Fly Guy Home Built 1 November 1st 03 04:46 AM