Pushback for small planes

Old October 14th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Pushback for small planes

In simulation, I note that I'm apparently expected to have my plane
pushed back from its parking place before I start the engines and
taxi, judging from the way the aircraft are parked (with very little
room to turn around on their own). Are real small aircraft tugged and
pushed back, or do you just start the engines and move out under your
own power?

Old October 14th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

Mxsmaniac,

Where are you located. Has anyone taken you up in a real GA plane?

--Dan

Old October 15th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

B A R R Y writes:

Small aircraft are typically parked nose out, or with room to get out.
You start it up and move out.

OK. How do you park it, in that case?

If you're in a hanger, you pull it out, by hand or with some sort of
mini-tug, set it 90 degrees to the hanger, and start it up.

Are small aircraft easy to pull or push by hand (as compared to a
car)?

Old October 15th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dan writes:

Where are you located.

Paris, France.

Has anyone taken you up in a real GA plane?

No.

Old October 15th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Sometimes you can back the airplane under its own power,
just like the airliners do. The King Air backs up nicely.
But since you have to trust that nobody parked a car behind
you after your walk-around, I don't do that unless I'm on a
taxiway or run-up pad and need to change heading, such as
when swinging a compass.

"B A R R Y" wrote in
message ...
| On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 01:15:20 +0200, Mxsmanic

| wrote:
|
| B A R R Y writes:
|
| Small aircraft are typically parked nose out, or with
room to get out.
| You start it up and move out.
|
| OK. How do you park it, in that case?
|
| You either rotate on one brake into a spot, or push it
back into the
| space with a towbar.
|
| Are small aircraft easy to pull or push by hand (as
compared to a
| car)?
|
| Yes. They're often like pushing a light car that's out of
gear.

Old October 15th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

B A R R Y wrote:

Small aircraft are typically parked nose out, or with room to get out.
You start it up and move out.

lucky you! I got to push and pull the dang thing, or find
someone to help me; and for some reason, it always seem to be
going uphill. It is not always possible to taxi right off
parking for a number of reasons: for instance there might be
other aircraft parked nearby or behind, and it's not considered
good manners to blast gravel and dirt onto other aircraft,
and/or you might prefer controlling more precisely the
manoeuver. Some places ban the practice outright. Not being
very mobile this is the most difficult part of the exercise (I
know that I would fly more often at night -- when there are
fewer people that can be drafted as pushers/pullers -- if
that was not an issue); There exist some mechanized or
motorized tow-bars but they are awfully expensive; I know
how to convert old self propelled lawn mowers that would do
the job easily, but I haven't been able to 'sell' the idea
where I fly... that's probably what I'll do when I get to
own an aircraft.

--Sylvain
Old October 15th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Its considered bad for to "power" out of parking because it throws rock
on the plane next to you. Generally you pull the plane out before
starting the engine. Some people use tugs but most use a tow bar and
pull it. Its not very heavy unless you have to go up hill. Its about
like pulling an economy car by hand.

-Robert

Old October 15th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Mxsmanic posted:

In simulation, I note that I'm apparently expected to have my plane
pushed back from its parking place before I start the engines and
taxi, judging from the way the aircraft are parked (with very little
room to turn around on their own). Are real small aircraft tugged and
pushed back, or do you just start the engines and move out under your
own power?

It depends on what's around you. Moving a small plane is not a big deal,
and it's better to be safe than to ding something because of laziness. You
do have to use some common sense in these matters.

Neil

Old October 15th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Neil Gould writes:

It depends on what's around you. Moving a small plane is not a big deal,
and it's better to be safe than to ding something because of laziness. You
do have to use some common sense in these matters.

I notice that my (simulated) Baron has negative pitch adjustment
available, below the feather position. Does this mean reverse thrust,
or what? I tried setting it to -25 on the ramp with the engines
running, and each time I tried it, the engine stalled a few seconds
later. Am I supposed to be able to go backwards in a Baron? Is this
setting for reverse thrust on landing, or what? Or does it even mean
reverse thrust?

Old October 15th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Mxsmanic posted:

Neil Gould writes:

It depends on what's around you. Moving a small plane is not a big
deal, and it's better to be safe than to ding something because of
laziness. You do have to use some common sense in these matters.

I notice that my (simulated) Baron has negative pitch adjustment
available, below the feather position. Does this mean reverse thrust,
or what? I tried setting it to -25 on the ramp with the engines
running, and each time I tried it, the engine stalled a few seconds
later. Am I supposed to be able to go backwards in a Baron? Is this
setting for reverse thrust on landing, or what? Or does it even mean
reverse thrust?

Could it be just another thing that MSFS gets wrong? Why not start a new
thread with this question so that you can get an answer from a Baron pilot
that you can then ignore and argue with?

Neil