RAF Invader B Mk1 (A-26)

Old August 12th 04, 08:14 PM
frank may

Default RAF Invader B Mk1 (A-26)

I stumbled up on an A-26 site earlier & it mentioned that 130 (I
think) A-26s had been ordered by the RAF but were later diverted to
the Navy or something. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone's ever seen a
paint scheme for the Invader B. Mk. 1. Sand & spinach over sky, or
what? might look pretty cool.
Old August 12th 04, 09:38 PM
Moose

Hi Frank

I have a black and white photo of KL692 a Douglas Invader Mk. I
(A-26C-25-DT, U.S.A.A.F. s/n 43-22604 and Douglas construction number
18751). It was one of the aircraft that was not delivered to the Royal Air
Force. The aircraft is bare metal except for the anti-glare panel on the
nose. I can not tell you if it is black or olive drab. It carries the
R.A.F. serial number (KL692) just forward of the hortizontal stabilizer and
most of the the U.S.A.A.F. serial number '322604' two-thirds the way up the
vertical stablizer (none of the numbers cross over to the rudder). The
aircraft carries typical R.A.F. roundels and tri-colour fin flash.
Incently, KL690 and KL691 were the only two Invaders delivered to the Royal
Air Force.

If you want me to scan it for you, give me a shout off board at

Cheers...Chris

Old August 13th 04, 05:20 PM
Matt Wiser

"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

"frank may" wrote in message
. com...
I stumbled up on an A-26 site earlier & it

mentioned that 130 (I
think) A-26s had been ordered by the RAF but

were later diverted to
the Navy or something. Anyway, I was wondering

if anyone's ever seen a
paint scheme for the Invader B. Mk. 1. Sand

& spinach over sky, or
what? might look pretty cool.

According to Joe Baughers web site 2 were actually
delivered
to Boscombe Down for evaluation. The production
versions were intended for the MTO and were
to replace
the Bostons of No 88 Squadron RAF as well as
those of
342 Squadron of the Free French Air Force.

The paint scheme of those Bostons is probably
the
nearest approximation to that which would have
been applied to the Invaders.

Keith

So why didn't the RAF use the A-26?

Old August 13th 04, 09:28 PM
Peter Kemp

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:20:31 GMT, "Matt Wiser"
wrote:

"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

"frank may" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

Because we had the Mosquito? Admittedly a much lower load until the
later Marks, but probably more survivable and fewer crew required.

I honestly can't think of a direct equivalent to the Marauder in RAF
service in large numbers. The Wellington in the first couple oif years
I suppose, until it was withdrawn.

Peter Kemp
Old August 13th 04, 11:28 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Peter Kemp" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:20:31 GMT, "Matt Wiser"
wrote:

"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

"frank may" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

How about the Marauder ?

The RAF had 5 squadrons of em

The A-26 was of course the Invader and they were cancelled
in April 45 because the war was going to be over before they could
be delivered

The Wellington in the first couple oif years
I suppose, until it was withdrawn.

The Wellington was still in service in the 50's
with second line squadrons.

Keith

Old August 13th 04, 11:50 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: RAF Invader B Mk1 (A-26)
From: "Keith Willshaw"
Date: 8/13/2004 3:28 PM Pacific Standard Time

"Peter Kemp" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:20:31 GMT, "Matt Wiser"
wrote:

"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

"frank may" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

I've flown in both the B-26 Marauder and the A-26 Invader. And the best way I
can compare the two is to think oof the B-26 as a garbage truck and the A-26 as
a race car.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old August 14th 04, 02:57 AM
Moose

Hi

The Royal Air Force had only 'three' squadrons that used the Marauder.

No. 14 (B) Squadron - Marauder Mk. I, Mk. II and Mk. III
No. 39 (B) Squadron - Marauder Mk. III
No. 231 Squadron - Marauder Mk. I - Marauders were stationed at Dorval,
Quebec in support of No. 45 Groups Trans-Atlantic ferry operations.

No. 70 (Middle East ) Operational Training Unit trained R.A.F. crews on the
Marauder Mk. II and Mk. III.

The following South African Air Force squadrons used the Martin Marauder:

No. 12 (B) Squadron
No. 21 (B) Squadron
No. 24 (B) Squadron
No. 25 (B) Squadron
No. 30 (B) Squadron
* The above four squadrons were assigned to the North African Air Forces
No. 25 (B) Squadron was assigned to the Balkan Air Force where it

The following Free French Air Force Squadrons also used the Martin Marauder
as part of the U.S.A.A.F.'s 42nd Bomb Wing of the 1st Tactical Air Force.

GB 1/19 'Gascogne'
GB 2/20 'Bretange'
GB 1/22 'Maroc'
GB 1/32 'Gourgogne'
GB 2/52 'Franche-Comte'
GB 2/63 'Senegal'
GB 1/34 - Although equipped with the Martin Marauder, the squadron did not
fly any operational sorties with the type.

Cheers...Chris

Old August 14th 04, 07:13 PM
Dave Holford

Moose wrote:

[...]

Just out of curiosity and not really intending to cause an off-topic
drift.
What exactly was the role of 231 Squadron in support of No. 45 Groups
Trans-Atlantic ferry operations? Although Dorval was a major base in the
ferry operations it is a long way from the Atlantic. I could see their
usefulness in the battle of the St. Lawrence, but surely they must have
staged out of Goose or Gander to be much use on the North Atlanic.

Dave