Boost phase interceptor. . .

Old December 4th 03, 04:08 PM
Scott Ferrin

Default Boost phase interceptor. . .

I think it's kindof interesting that they've already got mockups of
the launcher and the missile. Until the last couple days, publicly at
least, it seemed like a paper idea.
Old December 4th 03, 04:52 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message

I think it's kindof interesting that they've already got mockups of
the launcher and the missile. Until the last couple days, publicly at
least, it seemed like a paper idea.

Nope, we were working on plume detectors at RPL in 1983.

Old December 5th 03, 01:38 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message

I think it's kindof interesting that they've already got mockups of
the launcher and the missile. Until the last couple days, publicly at
least, it seemed like a paper idea.

Nope, we were working on plume detectors at RPL in 1983.

They're going to have to get pretty close to the launch site to be
effective during boost phase, which can last from only 20 or so seconds
to 120 sec -- not much time to detect, track. launch and intercept!
Old December 5th 03, 02:02 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message

I think it's kindof interesting that they've already got mockups of
the launcher and the missile. Until the last couple days, publicly at
least, it seemed like a paper idea.

Nope, we were working on plume detectors at RPL in 1983.

They're going to have to get pretty close to the launch site to be
effective during boost phase, which can last from only 20 or so seconds
to 120 sec -- not much time to detect, track. launch and intercept!

Once you know the vehicle is a rocket launch, it is not problematic to
track. (ie not an airliner) The boost phase interceptor is expected to
destroy missiles within the first 5 minutes from launch.

Old December 5th 03, 10:36 AM
Scott Ferrin

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message

I think it's kindof interesting that they've already got mockups of
the launcher and the missile. Until the last couple days, publicly at
least, it seemed like a paper idea.

Nope, we were working on plume detectors at RPL in 1983.

They're going to have to get pretty close to the launch site to be
effective during boost phase, which can last from only 20 or so seconds
to 120 sec -- not much time to detect, track. launch and intercept!

Once you know the vehicle is a rocket launch, it is not problematic to
track. (ie not an airliner) The boost phase interceptor is expected to
destroy missiles within the first 5 minutes from launch.

The interceptor they're building is one that's actually on the small
end too. That report that was released a few months back suggested a
booster that was bigger than a Minuteman, could go from 0 to 10km /
sec in 45 seconds and had a range of thousands of miles. In very
simple terms, if it takes 20 seconds to detect and determine it's a
missile (just pulled that number out of the air) and 45 seconds to get
up to speed, and the ICBM is boosting for 300 seconds (ISTR SS-18 is
300, Peacekeeper is 150) that gives it a range of roughly 235 * 10 or
2350km that it has a chance to hit the missile while in boost phase.
Of course if you were on the other side and wanted to minimize this
you could just take something like this interceptor, replace the
current 3rd stage with multiple parallel 3rd stages, accept a slightly
lower speed, and split at third stage. At second stage burnout the
missile becomes three or four missiles. The Russians actually kicked
something like this around (the multiple third stages) as part of a
FOBS system but to my knowledge they never tested it.

Weldon boost pump keepitrunning Home Built 2 January 6th 05 07:52 PM
Lathe Help Bruce A. Frank Home Built 15 February 7th 04 09:05 AM
Boeing: $823 million contract for 15 ground-based interceptor missiles Larry Dighera Military Aviation 0 November 4th 03 06:12 PM
#1 Jet of World War II Christopher Military Aviation 203 September 1st 03 03:04 AM