Tiger moth loses power on t/o, augers into a tree, none hurt.

Old September 1st 08, 11:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tman

Default Tiger moth loses power on t/o, augers into a tree, none hurt.

http://www.courant.com/community/new...,5972072.story

Anyone know -- what speed does a T/M stall at? My guess is pretty slow,
say 30 kts.

This is exactly how I envision a crash into trees "ought to" happen, if
its gotta happen, in a slow-stalling speed craft, say a single Cessna.
Just a little luck, a little help from the wind, full flaps if you got
em, and controlled flight as slow as possible into the treetops...

Old September 1st 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Tman x@x wrote in :

http://www.courant.com/community/new....artsep01,0,59
72072.story

Anyone know -- what speed does a T/M stall at? My guess is pretty
slow, say 30 kts.

About 38 Knots.

This is exactly how I envision a crash into trees "ought to" happen,
if its gotta happen, in a slow-stalling speed craft, say a single
Cessna. Just a little luck, a little help from the wind, full flaps if
you got em, and controlled flight as slow as possible into the
treetops...

ouch. Poor thing. Looks like it will live to fight another day, though.

They don't have much in the way of carb heat. Icing is very common problem
with a Gypsy.

Bertie
Old September 1st 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Zebulon

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
Tman x@x wrote in :

http://www.courant.com/community/new....artsep01,0,59
72072.story

Anyone know -- what speed does a T/M stall at? My guess is pretty
slow, say 30 kts.

About 38 Knots.

This is exactly how I envision a crash into trees "ought to" happen,
if its gotta happen, in a slow-stalling speed craft, say a single
Cessna. Just a little luck, a little help from the wind, full flaps if
you got em, and controlled flight as slow as possible into the
treetops...

ouch. Poor thing. Looks like it will live to fight another day, though.

They don't have much in the way of carb heat. Icing is very common problem
with a Gypsy.

Bertie

Isn't Google nice, shame you never post the link.

Now come back and lie about it. Tell us how you already knew and never have
to use Google.

Old September 1st 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sep 1, 7:49 am, "Zebulon" @###@.^net wrote:
"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in 8.18...

They don't have much in the way of carb heat. Icing is very common problem
with a Gypsy.

Bertie

Isn't Google nice, shame you never post the link.

Now come back and lie about it. Tell us how you already knew and never have
to use Google.

Be hard to find that on Google, I think. I owned an Auster
with Gipsy, and it quit on me when it iced up. The Auster's setup had
automatic carb heat, and I suspect the Tiger Moth uses the same thing.
The heat comes on as the power is reduced through about half throttle,
since it's linked to the throttle instead of being separate, and so if
the dewpoint is high enough carb ice is likely. Further, the heat is
marginal; it's taken from up against the side of the crankcase, which
may or may not be very warm. It doesn't come off the exhaust like most
NA aircraft. Ice at full throttle is therefore very possible.
http://www.johnjohn.co.uk/compare-ti...ipsy_major.jpg
You can see that big round thing in the middle of the picture? The
carb heat pickup, and linkages are visible around the heat valve,
connected to the throttle on the carb below the valve.

Dan
Old September 1st 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Zebulon

wrote in message

[...]

Carb heat had nothing to do with it, the question was stall speed.

By the way, since when did you take Bertie to raise?

Old September 1st 08, 05:01 PM posted to alt.usenet.kooks,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Zebulon" @###@.^net wrote in news

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
Tman x@x wrote in
:

http://www.courant.com/community/news/en/hc-

ewinplane0901.artsep01,0,
59 72072.story

Anyone know -- what speed does a T/M stall at? My guess is pretty
slow, say 30 kts.

About 38 Knots.

This is exactly how I envision a crash into trees "ought to" happen,
if its gotta happen, in a slow-stalling speed craft, say a single
Cessna. Just a little luck, a little help from the wind, full flaps
if you got em, and controlled flight as slow as possible into the
treetops...

ouch. Poor thing. Looks like it will live to fight another day,
though.

They don't have much in the way of carb heat. Icing is very common
problem with a Gypsy.

Bertie

Isn't Google nice, shame you never post the link.

Didn't have to. I've flown Tiger Moths.

Now come back and lie about it. Tell us how you already knew and never
have to use Google.

Bwawhahwhahwhahwh!

Bertie

Old September 1st 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

wrote in
:

[...]

tigermothflights/img/gipsy_maj
or.jpg
You can see that big round thing in the middle of the picture? The
carb heat pickup, and linkages are visible around the heat valve,
connected to the throttle on the carb below the valve.

Yeah, it never happened to me, but I was warned about it.

"Don't dawdle around at low revs"

Bertie
Old September 1st 08, 05:03 PM posted to alt.usenet.kooks,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Zebulon" @###@.^net wrote in :

wrote in message

[...]

Wow! New heights of idiocy!

By the way, since when did you take Bertie to raise?

Evidentally the same time as you, whatever that means, k00kie boi.

Bertie
Old September 1st 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Zebulon

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

Didn't have to. I've flown Tiger Moths.

Ya lie about everything else, why stop now.

Old September 1st 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"jeremy" wrote in message
According to the article the TM has two "layers" of wings :-)

A rare example of a reporter actually getting something basically right, in
spite of an apparent profound ignorance of aviation and its vocabulary.

--
Vaughn

.................................................. .......
Nothing personal, but if you are posting through Google Groups I may not receive
your message. Google refuses to control the flood of spam messages originating
in their system, so on any given day I may or may not have Google blocked. Try
a real NNTP server & news reader program and you will never go back. All you
need is access to an NNTP server (AKA "news server") and a news reader program.
You probably already have a news reader program in your computer (Hint: Outlook
Express). Assuming that your Usenet needs are modest, use
http://news.aioe.org/ for free and/or http://www.teranews.com/ for a one-time
$3.95 setup fee.

Will poofread for food.

Tiger Moth Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 August 9th 07 12:34 PM
DH Tiger Moth Pjmac35 Aviation Photos 0 July 20th 07 08:56 PM
Tiger Moth Pjmac35 Aviation Photos 0 July 20th 07 08:47 PM
tiger moth Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 July 17th 07 10:19 AM
Tiger Moth Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 1 July 15th 07 05:35 PM