Tiger moth loses power on t/o, augers into a tree, none hurt.

Old September 1st 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

Default Tiger moth loses power on t/o, augers into a tree, none hurt.

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 06:26:50 -0400, Tman wrote:

http://www.courant.com/community/new...,5972072.story

Anyone know -- what speed does a T/M stall at? My guess is pretty slow,
say 30 kts.

Max speed: 92 kt
Cruise speed: 75 kt
Stall: 35 kt
Rate of climb: 750 fpm
Range: 200 nm

Engine
Gipsy Major 1 developing 130 hp at 2,350 rpm.

This is exactly how I envision a crash into trees "ought to" happen, if
its gotta happen, in a slow-stalling speed craft, say a single Cessna.
Just a little luck, a little help from the wind, full flaps if you got
em, and controlled flight as slow as possible into the treetops...

Nice job, yeah.
Old September 1st 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Sep 1, 6:26*am, Tman x@x wrote:
http://www.courant.com/community/new...901.artsep01,0,...

Anyone know -- what speed does a T/M stall at? *My guess is pretty slow,
say 30 kts.

This is exactly how I envision a crash into trees "ought to" happen, if
its gotta happen, in a slow-stalling speed craft, say a single Cessna.
Just a little luck, a little help from the wind, full flaps if you got
em, and controlled flight as slow as possible into the treetops...

Augered in is for sure what had not happened. JFK Jr augered in. This
pilot looks to have impacted at minimum airspeed, good on him!
Old September 1st 08, 09:53 PM posted to alt.usenet.kooks,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Zebulon" @###@.^net wrote in :

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

Didn't have to. I've flown Tiger Moths.

Ya lie about everything else, why stop now.

Really?

Name one, k00kie boi.

Bertie
Old September 1st 08, 10:17 PM posted to alt.usenet.kooks,rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Sep 2, 8:53*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Really?

Name one, k00kie boi.

Seems to have been engine failure on takeoff.
We used to use DH82s in the topdressing industry.
Todays wreck at the end of the airstrip was back flying the next day
thanks to very good engineers and the toughness of the aeroplane

Old September 2nd 08, 12:48 AM posted to alt.usenet.kooks,rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Sep 2, 10:45*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
george wrote in news:17ac164a-6cb2-4ffc-ae83-
:

On Sep 2, 8:53*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Really?

Name one, k00kie boi.

Seems to have been engine failure on takeoff.
We used to use DH82s in the topdressing industry.
Todays wreck at the end of the airstrip was back flying the next day
thanks to very good engineers and the toughness of the aeroplane

Hard to beat a steel tube fuse and wood wings for strenght!

Hey Bertie.
Keep up with the details and your little playmate from several
messages back might have to admit that you know something of the
DH82 ..
:-)

Old September 2nd 08, 05:45 AM posted to alt.usenet.kooks,rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Sep 2, 12:06*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

I haven't got a lot of Tiggy time. I would really like to try some of the
other Moths, though. I always thought the Hornet Moth was a beautiful
airplane, for instance. And the Gypsy Moth is th epretiest of the lot in my
book. Maybe someday..

I've got (as I mentioned elsewhere) a couple of hours but I much
prefer the enclosed cockpit with the knob marked Cabin Heat. :-)
Old September 2nd 08, 06:23 AM posted to alt.usenet.kooks,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

george wrote in
:

On Sep 2, 12:06*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

I haven't got a lot of Tiggy time. I would really like to try some of
the other Moths, though. I always thought the Hornet Moth was a
beautiful airplane, for instance. And the Gypsy Moth is th epretiest
of the lot in

my
book. Maybe someday..

I've got (as I mentioned elsewhere) a couple of hours but I much
prefer the enclosed cockpit with the knob marked Cabin Heat. :-)

Not me! Biplanes biplanes biplanes...

Bertie
Old September 2nd 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Zebulon

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
george wrote in
:

On Sep 2, 12:06 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

I haven't got a lot of Tiggy time. I would really like to try some of
the other Moths, though. I always thought the Hornet Moth was a
beautiful airplane, for instance. And the Gypsy Moth is th epretiest
of the lot in

my
book. Maybe someday..

I've got (as I mentioned elsewhere) a couple of hours but I much
prefer the enclosed cockpit with the knob marked Cabin Heat. :-)

Not me! Biplanes biplanes biplanes...

Bertie

Talks cheap for an anonymous wanna be.

Ref Mx.

Tiger Moth Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 August 9th 07 12:34 PM
DH Tiger Moth Pjmac35 Aviation Photos 0 July 20th 07 08:56 PM
Tiger Moth Pjmac35 Aviation Photos 0 July 20th 07 08:47 PM
tiger moth Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 July 17th 07 10:19 AM
Tiger Moth Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 1 July 15th 07 05:35 PM