Cambridge 302 Utility

Old September 23rd 18, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cambridge 302 Utility

I’ve a new-to-me Cambridge 302 that I’m attempting to set up for me and my glider. The Utility is asking me: “Is another program using the port? Quit Pocket-NAV to use this program”. I’ve attempted every Com Port option offered. Any suggestions as how to quit a Pocket-NAV that I do not have?
TIA Gene
Old September 23rd 18, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 1:29:19 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I’ve a new-to-me Cambridge 302 that I’m attempting to set up for me and my glider. The Utility is asking me: “Is another program using the port? Quit Pocket-NAV to use this program”. I’ve attempted every Com Port option offered. Any suggestions as how to quit a Pocket-NAV that I do not have?
TIA Gene

It's been a long time for me since using that combination.
Have you shut down whatever soaring software is on the IPAQ?
What version is your CAI Utility for IPAQ, and which device is it on?
The latest utility was v2.57 (from 2006). If you don't have that version, try upgrading to it. That and some advice on:
https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/cai_downloads.htm
Jim

Old September 24th 18, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thank you. I will try upgrading the software but my problem is I don’t have an IPAC. The previous owner must have. All I have is the 302 and a computer. I would like to wipe the data in the 302 clean and start the set up from the beginning factory default.
Gene
Old September 24th 18, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

I can't remember the solution but Paul Remde at Cumulus Soaring gave me the answer. (I think it has to do with changing ports (maybe COM 2?) or something equally as easy.)

I'd ping Paul.

Lou
Old September 24th 18, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Hi Gene
I'm a long time user of the 302 and the Utility.
FWIW I was never successful in connecting a PC to the 302 with the Utility software that came on the CD.
Here is how I did it.
Get a new clean SD card. Transfer the 302 Utility and the turnpoints you need; with a .dat file after the turnpoints onto the SD card. Get the 302 talking to the PC, I think on com 4 is best. Then open SD card and the Utility, load your information, Polar etc and turnpoints into the 302. I know this can be so frustrating, In the early days I spent hours trying. While in the Utility leave the 302 Unlocked so you can adjust it in flight. And put it in super Netto mode and learn what that displays, when your polar is in there and the TE is adjusted right the 302 is still a great instrument IMHO.. Never locks up or needs software updates; Ellis got it right the first time. Good Luck- you can do it!
PS as the installation Manuel says; MAKE sure the static line to the 302 is the same as the static line to the ASI, this is important! Its working on very subtle pressure changes and the 302 is only as good as the information it receives. Once its all running adjust the TE Compensation [ if you know what your looking for ] up or down a little bit until you like it, you can do this in flight. The Electronic TE mode also works very well in the 302- I owned a Grob Twin Astir that worked super good with the Electronic TE plumbed. On the probe it was so so -Electronic it was perfect.

Old September 24th 18, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My recollection is that you can run your soaring software, or the utility, but not both at the same time or you get that error. It’s been a while now, so I can’t remember much more than that.
Old September 24th 18, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

“Is another program using the port? Quit Pocket-NAV to use this program” simply means that the 302 and your computer have failed to connect.

I assume that you are using a computer with a USB port, and a serial to USB converter. My experience was that it took me several tries to find a USB converter that would work with the 302. I strongly recommend the USB mod to the 302, and a remote USB port mounted on the instrument panel for easy down loads.

On my Win XP machines, I use Com 2. On my Win 7 machine, I use "other" with "3" in the box. Why that works rather than just checking the com 3 box is well above my pay grade.

Once you get connected, you will need to deal with "Crazy Mouse Syndrome". Windows often recognizes a GPS device as a mouse, sending your curser careening across the screen, rendering your computer unusable. That is an easy fix, Google is your friend here.

Your next challenge, if you are using Win 7, is that a driver is needed. Be sure that you are connected to the internet so Windows can hunt it down for you and load it.

Or wimp out and hit e-Bay for a legacy computer with a serial port.

The only glitch I have ever had is that after trailering down rough dirt roads sometimes the plug for the temperature sensor will wiggle partly loose. When that happens, the system will freeze during boot up. Just turn it off, pull it out, and push it back in.

P9

Old September 24th 18, 11:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thank you all!
Gene
Old September 24th 18, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I strongly recommend the USB mod to the 302, and a remote USB port mounted on the instrument panel for easy down loads.

To my knowledge and recollection, the USB mod to the 302 was solely for software upgrades and input. Downloads through the USB port are not possible. I used a serial to Bluetooth adapter, but had to make my own cable.
Old September 24th 18, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 6:09:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Thank you. I will try upgrading the software but my problem is I don’t have an IPAC. The previous owner must have. All I have is the 302 and a computer. I would like to wipe the data in the 302 clean and start the set up from the beginning factory default.
Gene

First, IMHO, the C302 is a wonderful audio vario - I have one in my '27. Sorry that I don't have an answer to your question - it has been years since using its serial port.

But about wiping the data - you may find some useful information about this (and other things) at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/cambridge/ under the "Cambridge 302 Logging Errors" section.

Best of luck, John OHM Ω