Stuka in Maine

Old September 19th 05, 06:59 PM
Steve Foley

Default Stuka in Maine

I was at the Internation Sea-Plane Fly-in last weekend in Greenville, Maine,
and saw what looked like a Stuka flying over the town and down the lake.

I got some blury pictures, so I know I didn't dream it. Anyone know anything
about this plane? I'd love to see it up close. It wasn't at the airport by
the time I got up the hill.

Old September 20th 05, 02:50 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:59:54 GMT, "Steve Foley"
wrote:

I was at the Internation Sea-Plane Fly-in last weekend in Greenville, Maine,
and saw what looked like a Stuka flying over the town and down the lake.

I got some blury pictures, so I know I didn't dream it. Anyone know anything
about this plane? I'd love to see it up close. It wasn't at the airport by
the time I got up the hill.

N87LL is a Langhurst Replica JU-87, registered to a Mitchell Sammons of
Belgrade, Maine.

http://www.geocities.com/hjunkers/ju_ju87_m16.htm

The builder had apparently built one before, which crashed a few years back.

Ron Wanttaja
Old September 22nd 05, 05:09 PM
Steve Foley

Pics weren't as blury as I had figured.

http://steve.foley.home.att.net/stuka1.jpg
http://steve.foley.home.att.net/stuka2.jpg

Old September 23rd 05, 04:07 PM
Kevin O'Brien

On 2005-09-19 21:50:28 -0400, Ron Wanttaja said:

The builder had apparently built one before, which crashed a few years back.

The plane that crashed in 2000 belonged to Den Burhans IV. He had just
bought it from the builder. His father, Denslow Faux-Burhans, went out
to taxi test it (father having more experience than son in
taildraggers) and apparently got inadvertently airborne, crashed, and
burned. Den IV was an ear, if not eye, witness.

My understanding is that the machine is highly CG-sensitive and flies
completely differently one-up and two-up due to the passenger
(radioman?) being aft of CG and pilot forward. Not that I have flown it
myself. I wasn't aware more than one was made, as this is a huge
project with well over 15,000 hours in it.

The crash was a sad, tragic business. Father was, and son is, good
people. .Den IV is quite a Luftwaffe expert and at one time had a
uniform and motorcycle and the whole fighter ace act. He is quite tall
so if you met him you'd remember him.

cheers

-=K=-

Rule #1: Don't hit anything big.

Old September 23rd 05, 07:30 PM

Steve Foley wrote:
Pics weren't as blury as I had figured.

http://steve.foley.home.att.net/stuka1.jpg
http://steve.foley.home.att.net/stuka2.jpg

Does it have the siren on the landing gear?

--

FF

Old September 23rd 05, 09:52 PM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Just as a matter of curiosity why not build a full size Ju-87?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old September 23rd 05, 09:57 PM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Steve Foley wrote:

Pics weren't as blury as I had figured.

http://steve.foley.home.att.net/stuka1.jpg
http://steve.foley.home.att.net/stuka2.jpg

Does it have the siren on the landing gear?

Fred, you didn't ask the most imortant question: does it have cup
holders?

As for the sirens I would be hesitant to use them. There are a lot
of WW2 survivors who moved here after the war who would I assume would
be upset hearing them.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old September 24th 05, 02:28 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:57:53 -0500, "Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired"
wrote:

As for the sirens I would be hesitant to use them. There are a lot
of WW2 survivors who moved here after the war who would I assume would
be upset hearing them.

I'd suspect there are very few who were bombed more than once or twice by
Stukas. The JU-87 was dead meat without air superiority, and other than
(possibly) in Operation Torch, Americans ground troops probably had sufficient
air cover.

Ron Wanttaja