WW1 propellor

Old November 1st 04, 11:24 AM
Sander van Doormaal

Default WW1 propellor

Recently I have inherited a beautiful wooden propellor
Burnt in is the following information

110 PS
Rhone
D 260
H 230
Heine
N29018

110 PS Rhone indicates that it was once fitted to a 110 hp Gnome Rhone engine
which was used on fighters of either the German AF or Austria-Hungary AF
Heine was Germans leading propeller factory until 1945
The thing is 2,6 metres in length so that's what D 260 is possibly referring to
But I would really like to know what specific type of fighter it was used on
and perhaps even squadron and pilot info.

Any info or directions to info is greatly appreciated.

regards
Sander van Doormaal
Old November 1st 04, 01:36 PM
Joachim Schmid

Sander van Doormaal wrote:

Recently I have inherited a beautiful wooden propellor
Burnt in is the following information

110 PS
Rhone
D 260
H 230
Heine
N29018

110 PS Rhone indicates that it was once fitted to a 110 hp Gnome Rhone engine
which was used on fighters of either the German AF or Austria-Hungary AF
Heine was Germans leading propeller factory until 1945
The thing is 2,6 metres in length so that's what D 260 is possibly referring to

Yes, D could mean "Durchmesser" (diameter).

But I would really like to know what specific type of fighter it was used on
and perhaps even squadron and pilot info.

N29018 obviously is the factory serial # ("Nummer"). But I doubt there
were ever any records to which plane it had been fitted.

Regards

Joachim
Old November 1st 04, 04:26 PM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
Joachim Schmid writes:
Sander van Doormaal wrote:

Recently I have inherited a beautiful wooden propellor
Burnt in is the following information

110 PS
Rhone
D 260
H 230
Heine
N29018

110 PS Rhone indicates that it was once fitted to a 110 hp Gnome Rhone engine
which was used on fighters of either the German AF or Austria-Hungary AF
Heine was Germans leading propeller factory until 1945
The thing is 2,6 metres in length so that's what D 260 is possibly referring to

Yes, D could mean "Durchmesser" (diameter).

H is most likely the pitch - as in the putative didtance trravelled
forward by hte propeller if there was no "slip".

But I would really like to know what specific type of fighter it was used on
and perhaps even squadron and pilot info.

N29018 obviously is the factory serial # ("Nummer"). But I doubt there
were ever any records to which plane it had been fitted.

It would simple be a matter of contacting the Imperial Records Office
for the German Empire, or the Records Office of teh
Austro-Hungarian...
Oh, well. Never mind.
(Is anybody archiving the day-to-day records of defunct empires?)

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old November 1st 04, 11:54 PM
William Davidson

In article ,
l (Peter Stickney) wrote:

In article ,
Joachim Schmid writes:
Sander van Doormaal wrote:

[...]

Often during WWI the well-to-do would buy/have built their own
propellors and take them from aircraft to aircraft. We have an original
here in a Toronto museum that the pilot's family donated.

The reason we were told was balance and long lasting (that is if you
weren't shot down).

bill

Strange propellor setup Dick Home Built 5 November 28th 04 01:33 PM
Propellor Primer Ebby Home Built 3 November 19th 04 10:36 AM
WW1 propellor Sander van Doormaal General Aviation 4 November 2nd 04 03:54 PM
A Public Domain Disclosure- A Passive Counter-rotating Auxillary Propellor. [email protected] Piloting 11 March 26th 04 02:44 AM
For Sale: Propellor Governor Drive Adapter with Driven Gear John Ammeter Home Built 0 February 1st 04 09:11 PM