Steam guages

Old January 23rd 05, 05:00 PM

Default Steam guages

Is anyone else growing as weary of the cutesy aviation term "steam
guages" as I am?

Or is it only me...?

Old January 23rd 05, 05:50 PM
Dan Luke

I'm tireder of "yank and bank."

Old January 23rd 05, 05:52 PM
Maule Driver

Trying to think of an alternative - round gauges, analog gauges, round
holed panel, etc. Steam gauge is pretty sexy. Sexier than MFD, PFD,
LED, although HUD is at least pronounceable.

Of course acronyms are easier to spell correctly..

Old January 23rd 05, 07:43 PM
Peter R.

Maule Driver ) wrote:

Trying to think of an alternative - round gauges, analog gauges, round
holed panel, etc. Steam gauge is pretty sexy. Sexier than MFD, PFD,
LED, although HUD is at least pronounceable.

"Steam gauges" is easier to use and more quickly understood in a
conversation, IMO.

--
Peter

Old January 23rd 05, 08:57 PM
Howard Nelson

wrote in message

Is anyone else growing as weary of the cutesy aviation term "steam
guages" as I am?

Or is it only me...?

How about "conventional guages"

Howard

---

Old January 23rd 05, 10:43 PM
Gene Whitt

Y'All,
I just gave away my WWI Steam Gauge Tester...
Gene
Dear Gene,
On behalf of the National Liberty Ship Memorial, the Board of Directors,
Crew and Volunteers of the S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien, I would like to thank you
for your donation of authentic Liberty Ship engine room equipment.

Best Regards,

Chet Robbins
Administrative Director

Old January 23rd 05, 10:44 PM
kage

They are properly called "electro-mechanical" gauges.

Karl

wrote in message
Now there you go.

"Old dumb guages". Much better. Much less pretentious.

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:00:32 -0500, Bob Noel
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

"Steam guages" strikes me as one of those yuppie-type expressions that
you must use to avoid ostracism by the "in" crowd.

not in any usage I've heard. Folk I know use it do indicate old dumb
gauges as opposed to the new glass stuff...

Old January 23rd 05, 10:52 PM
Matt Barrow

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
I'm tireder of "yank and bank."

I'm tirederer of "dive and drive".

Old January 24th 05, 11:06 PM
Colin W Kingsbury

wrote in message

Is anyone else growing as weary of the cutesy aviation term "steam
guages" as I am?

Or is it only me...?

Well the usage is certainly changing. Hundreds of days ago in the pre-G1000
era, the phrase "steam gauges" was used only to describe panels that were
laid out by loading all the instruments into a shotgun and firing it at the
panel. Now people are using it to describe any panel where the six basic
instruments don't require an alternator to operate. "Round gauges" strikes
me as more ontologically precise. Inaccurate usage gets my pedantic goat
much faster than egregious cutesiness.

-cwk.