Stiffed on Ebay

Old June 25th 04, 02:46 AM
Jim Fisher

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
As a buyer, I want cancellation privilege not only before the sale, but
AFTER the sale as well. If I'm thinking of buying something I don't need
anyone telling me I can't change my mind, even up to the point of sale.
Even AFTER buying something, if I have a problem with it, I want the
option to return it to where I bought it for full credit.

Then go to Wal-Mart and stay the heck away from Ebay you big silly!

I've bought and sold much computer stuff and only occasionally get a raw
deal and have never once dished out a raw deal. Overall it's a great deal
for the buyer and seller.

But make no mistake, it's not Wal-Mart. EBay is simply an electronic flea
market.

Caveat emptor.

--
Jim Fisher

Old June 25th 04, 03:25 AM
Brad Z

His posts are pretty awful to read. I wouldn't want to be his english
teacher.

"Shirley" wrote in message
Jeez, ever hear of punctuation? The one place where you didn't really need

the
period (when there was nothing more to read) was the only place you put

one.
Sorry, I was too distracted trying to figure out where one sentence

stopped and
another started to make sense of the actual advice.

Old June 25th 04, 03:37 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Ebay is not for buying stuff that you can buy at your local store. It is
for buying and selling hard to find items. It works great. As you
described, it is really a middle man and it puts the buyer and seller in
contact. If you don't like the idea of a middle man, I suppose you must
also not like newpapers and ads etc.. I have sold quite a few items on
ebay. I have also bought some pretty expensive items. I bought a $75k
piece of test equipment for $6k. Another $50k equipment for $4k. All were
used and solds as is with no warranty. For me, the risk was worth taking.
It may not be so for everyone. If you want return and refund priviledges,
then you have to pay full price through a regular merchant.

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in news:1gFCc.25136
:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I've only sold two items on Ebay (I've bought a lot, though), so I'm

really
surprised (and saddened) to report that I've run into an avionics

buyer who
simply won't pay for the item he won.

I listed our old Narco AT 50 transponder (which, BTW, we replaced with

Garmin GTX-327 -- a truly great unit), and my winner bid $285 for it.

That was over three weeks ago, and when pressed about the status of

his
payment, the guy only responded with one sentence emails promising to

"look
into it."

I finally gave him a 24 hour deadline, which he missed, and have

re-listed
the transponder for sale.

This is a first for me -- all of my other transactions have been easy

and
painless.

Have I just been lucky? Anyone else run into this on Ebay?

I must be missing something about the "advantages" of using Ebay, based
on it's tremendous popularity, but it just doesn't make any sense to

me.
The entire thing is set up so that the middle man (Ebay) can make money
on a transaction. That's all well and good, for Ebay, and I'm sure this
procedure attracts a whole bunch of people based on Ebay's financial
position, but I just don't get the attraction.
As a buyer, I want cancellation privilege not only before the sale, but
AFTER the sale as well. If I'm thinking of buying something I don't

need
anyone telling me I can't change my mind, even up to the point of sale.
Even AFTER buying something, if I have a problem with it, I want the
option to return it to where I bought it for full credit. I've been
buying this way for many years and have never had a problem.
Suppose this guy who won the bid on the transponder suffered a problem
that prevented his going through with the purchase.....hell, it could

be
anything? On EBay, he doesn't have the option to cancel? Hell, that's

no
way to buy something....at least as far as I'm concerned anyway. I've
obviously never used Ebay and never will. I guess it's ok for some, but
it's definitely NOT my cup of tea :-)
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt

Old June 25th 04, 03:42 AM
Newps

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Was he the only bidder? If not, did you try the second chance option

for
the next highest bidder?

No, there were many bidders.

I didn't know you could do a "second chance option" for the next-highest
bidder? Is there a time limit on doing that?

Just look at the list of who bid. Got stiffed by the high bidder? Go to
the next guy on the list and offer it to him for what he bid. It's cheaper
than relisting and saves time.

It would seem unlikely that the second highest bidder would still be

looking
for a transponder a month later,

The purchase should be consummated within a few days for something as cheap
as a transponder. When I sell stuff I better hear from you within 24 hours
and payment made within a few days, unless other arrangements are made. If
not then you get negative feedback and I move on.

Old June 25th 04, 03:44 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Brad Z wrote:

I wouldn't want to be his english teacher.

What makes you think he has one?

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Old June 25th 04, 03:53 AM
Peter Gottlieb

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...

I must be missing something about the "advantages" of using Ebay, based
on it's tremendous popularity, but it just doesn't make any sense to me.

The advantage is a large marketplace, therefore higher probability of
sellers getting the best price and buyers finding what they seek

As a buyer, I want cancellation privilege not only before the sale, but
AFTER the sale as well. If I'm thinking of buying something I don't need
anyone telling me I can't change my mind, even up to the point of sale.
Even AFTER buying something, if I have a problem with it, I want the
option to return it to where I bought it for full credit. I've been
buying this way for many years and have never had a problem.
Suppose this guy who won the bid on the transponder suffered a problem
that prevented his going through with the purchase.....hell, it could be
anything? On EBay, he doesn't have the option to cancel? Hell, that's no
way to buy something....at least as far as I'm concerned anyway. I've
obviously never used Ebay and never will. I guess it's ok for some, but
it's definitely NOT my cup of tea :-)

Well you just have to bid accordingly. Sometimes you can get something
cheap, sometimes a used item with no warrantee and no return priviledge goes
for more than that item new with all priviledges.

I've bought stuff I needed there and done quite well, but there is cost in
my time. Sometimes it takes losing several items before winning one.

Also, some sellers (usually businesses) will extend their full return
policies to Ebay sales. Murphy Surplus in California allowed a 30 day
return for example. But it is not fair to stiff sellers for auction fees if
you change your mind.

Know the rules of the game there and play them to your advantage if you
want. Personally I still think it is a mixed bag, but just try dealing with
Government Liquidation and you will think Ebay is fantastic.

Old June 25th 04, 04:21 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
link.net...

"I want you to know that I will not make age an issue of this

campaign.
I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's

youth
and inexperience."
Ronald Reagan-during a 1984 presidential debate with Walter Mondale.

Probably the best presidential debate response ever. Mondale laughed,

but
behind that laugh he had to be thinking, "Damn, that sonofabitch

really
nailed me with that one!"

It broke me up! Not only the response, but the foresight Reagan's
handlers had in realizing that his age was a prime issue in the election
and anticipating an opening during the debate that would present the
opportunity for inserting this carefully constructed retort. It was
brilliant......a beautiful chess move.
I honestly believe that Mondale lost any chance he had for the
Presidency during that moment! (If indeed he ever had a chance :-)

Old June 25th 04, 04:38 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Cecil Chapman" wrote in message
I like to touch and feel and pre-use the items I
purchase. This takes people like me out of the Ebay equation.
I'm not inferring in any way that it's a bad way to buy something;

just
that for me, it wouldn't be my choice at all.
Dudley Henriques

Oh I see what you mean,,, no, ebay doesn't allow for a 'hands-on'

sale,,, I
think my dad would feel the same way, could never even get him to

order via
mail order catalog... He'd want to be able to pick-up and look at a

given
thing....

Yeah.......us "older types" like the feeling of dealing with an
established source when buying the expensive stuff! We like that ole'
"human factor" at the other end if things don't work out quite as
advertised. Actually, I might even be an exception to this, as during my
tenure in aviation, when I bought something, it was usually VERY
expensive, and the company usually sent a representative to me instead
of the other way around :-)
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt
:-)

Old June 25th 04, 04:51 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Shirley" wrote in message
"NW_PILOT" steven wrote:

I run in to non paying bidders all the time act
now file a NPBA then a FVF Credit time is limited
in what you can do ebay is truing to make it better
for sellers just file a non paying bidder alert on him
11 days later leave negative feedback and
immediately file a FVF credit to cancel the sale.

Jeez, ever hear of punctuation? The one place where you didn't really need

the
period (when there was nothing more to read) was the only place you put

one.
Sorry, I was too distracted trying to figure out where one sentence

stopped and
another started to make sense of the actual advice.

He's writing UseNet postings, not scholastic treatises.

Old June 25th 04, 04:52 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
[...]

Why do you think my personal business preferences seem to indicate some
degree of naïveté about Ebay that needs "corrective" under posting? I
understand Ebay quite well. I just prefer not doing business in this
manner. You sound like people who don't prefer Ebay need a Jim Fisher
education. I'll throw a smiley thing on this for you anyway
Jim......how's that? :-)
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt

Vision Plans for Sale on Ebay Mike C Home Built 1 October 30th 04 06:58 AM
Selling on Ebay Jay Honeck Piloting 34 May 28th 04 06:29 PM
Airplane Parts on Ebay Vac Reg Valves, Fuel Floats, O-200 Spider, Fuel Injection Valve Bill Berle Home Built 0 January 26th 04 07:48 AM
Airplane Parts on Ebay Vac Reg Valves, Fuel Floats, O-200 Spider, Fuel Injection Valve Bill Berle Aviation Marketplace 0 January 26th 04 07:48 AM
Airplane Parts on Ebay Vac Reg Valves, Fuel Floats, O-200 Spider, Fuel Injection Valve Bill Berle Owning 0 January 26th 04 07:48 AM