0-320 cylinders

Old December 6th 03, 08:25 PM
Drew Dalgleish

Default 0-320 cylinders

I found a set of 0-320 cylinders for sale from a cherokee 140 with I
think it was an E3B engine. Will these fit any 0-320 engine or are
there different cylinders for every model number.
Drew
Old December 6th 03, 08:44 PM
Drew Dalgleish

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 19:25:54 GMT, (Drew
Dalgleish) wrote:

I found a set of 0-320 cylinders for sale from a cherokee 140 with I
think it was an E3B engine. Will these fit any 0-320 engine or are
there different cylinders for every model number.
Drew

What I should have said is I've also found an 0-320 narrow deck engine
that needs cylinders. Are the 2 compadibal.
Drew
Old December 7th 03, 11:06 AM
David O

Dalgleish) wrote:

I found a set of 0-320 cylinders for sale from a cherokee 140 with I
think it was an E3B engine. Will these fit any 0-320 engine or are
there different cylinders for every model number.
Drew

What I should have said is I've also found an 0-320 narrow deck engine
that needs cylinders. Are the 2 compadibal.
Drew

None of my references shows a Lyc O-320 E3B. I expect you got the
model number wrong. Wide-deck cylinders and narrow-deck cylinders are
not interchangeable.

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com

Old December 7th 03, 03:58 PM
Dale Larsen

O-320 series E engines are narrow deck. E's use class 6 cylinders and 150HP
pistons. They should fit just fine. To be sure, you need to get the part
numbers off the cylinders and check the O-320 parts book.

Old December 7th 03, 09:31 PM
Drew Dalgleish

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:58:09 GMT, "Dale Larsen"
wrote:

O-320 series E engines are narrow deck. E's use class 6 cylinders and 150HP
pistons. They should fit just fine. To be sure, you need to get the part
numbers off the cylinders and check the O-320 parts book.

What I should have said is I've also found an 0-320 narrow deck engine
that needs cylinders. Are the 2 compadibal.
Drew

Thanks

I've since found out that the narrow deck engines can't be made
160hp. I figure if I'm going for more power I should go for as much as
I can get.
Old December 7th 03, 09:31 PM
Whunicut

I found a set of 0-320 cylinders for sale from a cherokee 140 with I
think it was an E3B engine. Will these fit any 0-320 engine or are
there different cylinders for every model number.
Drew

What I should have said is I've also found an 0-320 narrow deck engine
that needs cylinders. Are the 2 compadibal.
Drew

The Piper Cherokee 140 and Beechcraft Sport 150 used the 0-320-E3D which are
probably the cylinders you have. Dont think there ever was a -E3B.
The -E3D is the -E2D but with 3/8 prop flange bolts.
Lyc engines produced before 1965, or thereabouts, were "narrow deck" engines.
After `65 the cylinder flanges were made a little wider and were called wide
deck engines.
Only sure way I know to tell if your cylinders are compatible with the engine
is to check part numbers.

Old December 8th 03, 02:13 AM
David O

"Dale Larsen" wrote:

O-320 series E engines are narrow deck. E's use class 6 cylinders and 150HP
pistons. They should fit just fine.

snip

This is simply not true. O-320 E-series engines were produced in both
narrow-deck (ND) and wide-deck (WD). O-320 E-series engines use
either ECI class 6 cylinders or class 4 cylinders depending on whether
the engine is ND or WD respectively. Some Cherokee 140's were
produced with E-series ND engines and some were produced with E-series
WD engines. The O-320 E3D in my Long EZ, for example, is a WD engine
from a Cherokee 140 and the cylinders would definitely not fit Drew's
ND engine.

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com

Old December 8th 03, 03:27 AM
Rich S.

"David O" wrote in message
news

. . . O-320 E-series engines were produced in both
narrow-deck (ND) and wide-deck (WD). O-320 E-series engines use
either ECI class 6 cylinders or class 4 cylinders depending on whether
the engine is ND or WD respectively. Some Cherokee 140's were
produced with E-series ND engines and some were produced with E-series
WD engines. The O-320 E3D in my Long EZ, for example, is a WD engine
from a Cherokee 140 and the cylinders would definitely not fit Drew's
ND engine.

How does one tell the difference?

Rich "The Emeraude has an ex-Cherokee 140 E3D" S.

Old December 8th 03, 06:10 AM
David O

"Rich S." wrote:

How does one tell the difference?

Rich "The Emeraude has an ex-Cherokee 140 E3D" S.

Serial numbers for Lycoming wide-deck engines end with an "A" while
serial numbers for Lycoming narrow-deck engines do not end with an
"A". Narrow-deck cylinders are held down with internal-hex nuts
(driven by a hex wrench) and sometimes, but not always, have hold-down
plates. Wide-deck cylinders are held down by common-looking hex nuts
and do not use hold-down plates.

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com