Tips on Flying to Dulles

Old May 12th 05, 04:26 PM
Jay Honeck

Potomac TRACON told Margy they're going to put on extra controllers for
her event.

Holy crikey -- an extra controller for 25 planes?

Guess they're 'spectin' us to really screw up, eh?

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 12th 05, 04:28 PM
Jay Honeck

It's not a huge deal, unless you make an innocent mistake, or have an
avionics failure of some sort. Then it could become a huge deal.

Luckily I consigned my old, intermittent Narco transponder to Ebay a couple
of years ago.

The Garmin 327 hasn't burped, yet. Hopefully it won't whilst we're over
D.C...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 12th 05, 04:31 PM
Jay Honeck

Second best, stop somewhere nearby and file your ADIZ plan and come in.

Okay -- in your opinion, where's the best place to stop to file the ADIZ
plan?

Someplace not to much of a hassle to get into (and out of), but with a great
on-field restaurant?

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 12th 05, 10:00 PM
Jose

Okay -- in your opinion, where's the best place to stop to file the ADIZ
plan?

There's no need to stop anywhere. File the plan from home. Pick an
entry point outside the ADIZ (the briefer will give you choices -
typically a VOR or intersection) and an entry time.

Be there within (I think) fifteen minutes of that time (or update your
flight plan in the air).

Be high enough for radio reception and radar coverage (no problem for
you Jay!), and be sure NOT to enter until you've gotten your sqawk.

Jose
Old May 12th 05, 10:37 PM
Ron Natalie

Jose wrote:

There's no need to stop anywhere. File the plan from home. Pick an
entry point outside the ADIZ (the briefer will give you choices -
typically a VOR or intersection) and an entry time.

Jay's going to be like seven hours in the air from the time he leaves
Iowa City until he hits the ADIZ. I wouldn't want to bet on hitting
the ptime that far out.

Some places to consider stoping: MGW (this is probably about an hour
and a half west). Food on the field, nice airport. MRB has food I
believe (in what used to be the Flight Circus Station there) and is
just outside the ADIZ...I can give a few other restaurants that are
a little off your route of flight.
Old May 12th 05, 11:37 PM
SeeAndAvoid

Jay,
If you really want to go into IAD, just go IFR, piece of cake. On my big
trip last year we went IFR from TEB-ABE-EVY-DMW-MRB-IAD, almost all in hard
IFR. Potomac Apch was the best facility I worked with on my entire 5k trip,
and they made getting into IAD a breeze.
But, like you, I considered all kinds of alternatives to going into IAD, but
in the end glad we went in there as our hotel was near IAD. Was going to go
VFR into Gaithersburg, then Frederick, then Manassas, then Warrenton.
Warrenton was the closest to IAD but outside the ADIZ. If I remember right,
getting a rental car there was tough, and I dont think the metro went out
that far.
The FBO we used is on the north side of 1L/19R, fairly easy in/out. Got put
on the ILS1L, #1 in front of some airliners, fastest approach I've ever
flown. Rental car place is pretty close to the FBO, they'll come and get
you.
Add an hour (time zone) and thunderstorms into your times.
Later, Chris

Old May 13th 05, 12:03 AM
Jonathan Goodish

In article WEKge.75952$WI3.8542@attbi_s71,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:
Okay -- in your opinion, where's the best place to stop to file the ADIZ
plan?

Someplace not to much of a hassle to get into (and out of), but with a great
on-field restaurant?

Ron's suggestion of MGW is good, but if you're considering MGW, FWQ has
a very nice (i.e. much better) restaurant and usually very reasonable
fuel prices. About an hour northwest of IAD.

Don't know what your range is for the airplane or for your bladder, but
there are lots of places to stop for cheap fuel, good food, or both in
WV, eastern OH, or western PA. Probably not going to find mogas, though.

JKG
Old May 13th 05, 02:43 AM
Morgans

"Michelle P" wrote in message

I file four to five a night with them, most of the briefers know my
voice at this point.
I was in the air over the sky's of DC when all the mess happened
yesterday. I would have never know if my observer had not told me. The
controller in my sector seemed un-concerned.
Michelle

4 or 5 a night? Wow!

Just curious, but what do you do that puts you there that many times?
--
Jim in NC
Old May 13th 05, 01:06 PM
Jay Honeck

Jay's going to be like seven hours in the air from the time he leaves
Iowa City until he hits the ADIZ. I wouldn't want to bet on hitting
the ptime that far out.

??

Destination Direct says 4 hours, 41 minutes, in a no-wind situation. I
expect I'll have a tailwind heading toward the vacuum, er, I mean, heading
toward Washington, D.C. ;-)

With the kids, though, I'll still want to stop for brunch and a potty break
somewhere with a good on-field restaurant.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 13th 05, 02:17 PM
Flyingmonk

Jay,

Don't know how I missed this thread. Anyways, email me a couple of
days prior and I'll drive your family around DC Metro and such. I know
my way around the ground here pretty good, and my car has seven seats.
Haven't been in the air for a little while. Flyingmonk at your service
for the day, my treat.

I can meet you at the Museum or Manassas Airport (HEF). I have a nice
condo in Manassas five-ten minutes from the airport that is empty for
the moment. It has two bedrooms and it is a two story unit. The wife
and I bought it to rent out about three months ago, but I've been lazy
and haven't listed it yet. If you are coming early June, I think it
will still be unoccupied. Yours for the weekend, my treat. If the
unit is rented out by then, you and yours are welcome to stay at our
house with us for the weekend or what ever. Our house is 15-20 minutes
from Leesburg airport, (Insert alphabets here). We have an extra car
for your use, if you want to drive yourself.

Give me a holler before your come out.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone